"Select Input Method" Notification??

the_krusatyr

Reaction score
I searched and kinda glanced through the results, but couldn't find anything on this... Sorry if it's a dupe post :/

Every time I tap on a text box (i.e. google search, web browser, texting... anything) I get a notification "Select Input Method", when I check out the notification, it has two options (used to be 3, but I disabled the voice one), one for Swype, and one for the Motorola Input, which I'm assuming is the plain built-in onscreen keyboard... So I select Swype, since that's my default one, and the notification doesn't go away. At all. Until I back out of the keyboard... Even if the cursor is still flashing on the text boxes... It's really not harmful, but soooo annoying!

Has anyone else had this? If so, have you found out how to make it stop? It's driving me nuts... Lol

rpdonald

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
T

the_krusatyr

Reaction score
I discovered that disabling the Motorola Input still doesn't even fix this... It just makes the Settings inaccessible through the "Select Input Method" notification... Very frustrating that the checkbox cannot be unchecked in the actual phone settings as well...

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ya... that's the ime switcher for the keyboard... it doesn't go away until the keyboard drops back down... but with custom roms on ics you can turn that off...

OP
T

the_krusatyr

Reaction score
So I'm gunna have to root? Hmm. I've kinda been looking for an excuse to do it :p

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
your welcome :D it's a fun fun world... having your phone... setup every aspect how you want :D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I searched and kinda glanced through the results, but couldn't find anything on this... Sorry if it's a dupe post :/

Every time I tap on a text box (i.e. google search, web browser, texting... anything) I get a notification "Select Input Method", when I check out the notification, it has two options (used to be 3, but I disabled the voice one), one for Swype, and one for the Motorola Input, which I'm assuming is the plain built-in onscreen keyboard... So I select Swype, since that's my default one, and the notification doesn't go away. At all. Until I back out of the keyboard... Even if the cursor is still flashing on the text boxes... It's really not harmful, but soooo annoying!

Has anyone else had this? If so, have you found out how to make it stop? It's driving me nuts... Lol

I haven't been able to reproduce this. My phone started from Gingerbread on Swype, and with the upgrade to ICS, Swype is still default and there is no "Select Input Method" window that pops up when I tap on a text window. In fact, unlike Gingerbread where you could long-press in a text window and it would give the option to change Input Method, now instead it has become a text selection action for cut, copy and select all, where two "markers" (half sides of an arrow or caret), are positioned to move back and forth, up and down to select text for copying and cutting.

The only way I know of now to change Input Method is from the Settings menu, under Language & input.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I haven't been able to reproduce this. My phone started from Gingerbread on Swype, and with the upgrade to ICS, Swype is still default and there is no "Select Input Method" window that pops up when I tap on a text window. In fact, unlike Gingerbread where you could long-press in a text window and it would give the option to change Input Method, now instead it has become a text selection action for cut, copy and select all, where two "markers" (half sides of an arrow or caret), are positioned to move back and forth, up and down to select text for copying and cutting.

The only way I know of now to change Input Method is from the Settings menu, under Language & input.

There's not a keyboard icon in your notification bar when the keyboard comes on screen? It's not a pop-up, just a notification in the bar that lets you switch keyboards.

OP
T

the_krusatyr

Reaction score
Yes, it's just an icon in the notification bar when the keyboard is displayed. While the keyboard is out, slide down your notification bar and it'll say "Select Input Method." My default keyboard is also Swype... But when you tap on the notification, it brings up the other options to select... It's basically the same exact thing as GB's long press on a text field to select Input Method, except now it's hanging around ALL THE TIME. Quite annoyingly. Lol.