seidio Custom Car kit for Motorola Car kit

Rudy

Reaction score
This thing is quite an eyesore.. for the price I think I'll pass. Looks so bulky I'd be afraid of the suction cup not being able to hold the dock+phone over a moderately bumpy road. And speaking of bumpy roads.. am I just missing the part of the dock that holds the phone from actually bouncing out of it? or is there nothing? I don't see gravity alone doing it.

Maybe if they have a sweet combo price for the case/holster/media dock/car kit I might consider it.. but for $50 (+ shipping) by itself.. no thanks.

A. It's bulky because it has room to fit phones with the Seidio expanded battery. The dock looks to be plastic, and likely won't be very heavy at all.
B. I can assure you that they have tested this product to stick to a window with a phone in it.
C. The phone is connected to the dock via micro-USB, and it looks to squeeze in on the sides to hold in place.
D. This so far is the only solid car dock that I have seen that 1.Has an integrated charger, so you really can just drop the phone in. 2.Fits phones with a case on them (specifically Seidio). 3.Has 2 extra micro-USB outputs. (I would imagine one is for powering the device, but the other would be very nice for charging a BT headset.

For these reasons I will be almost certainly preordering one of these, and I'm sure I will be impressed. They're sure to offer a good introductory price like they have been doing, and I'm sure that they will offer that combo you spoke of.

Plastikk

Reaction score
I think the worst part is they don't include the magnet in their docks. The car and the desk charger are both missing the magnet to switch to the different modes. They state that this is to save battery power. I love Seidio for their cases but, I think this was a large fail.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
This thing is quite an eyesore.. for the price I think I'll pass. Looks so bulky I'd be afraid of the suction cup not being able to hold the dock+phone over a moderately bumpy road. And speaking of bumpy roads.. am I just missing the part of the dock that holds the phone from actually bouncing out of it? or is there nothing? I don't see gravity alone doing it.

Maybe if they have a sweet combo price for the case/holster/media dock/car kit I might consider it.. but for $50 (+ shipping) by itself.. no thanks.

A. It's bulky because it has room to fit phones with the Seidio expanded battery. The dock looks to be plastic, and likely won't be very heavy at all.
B. I can assure you that they have tested this product to stick to a window with a phone in it.
C. The phone is connected to the dock via micro-USB, and it looks to squeeze in on the sides to hold in place.
D. This so far is the only solid car dock that I have seen that 1.Has an integrated charger, so you really can just drop the phone in. 2.Fits phones with a case on them (specifically Seidio). 3.Has 2 extra micro-USB outputs. (I would imagine one is for powering the device, but the other would be very nice for charging a BT headset.

For these reasons I will be almost certainly preordering one of these, and I'm sure I will be impressed. They're sure to offer a good introductory price like they have been doing, and I'm sure that they will offer that combo you spoke of.

A1. It is good that it accepts naked Droid, one with a case and one with the extended battery.
A2. That is still a lot of plastic and it will be heavy for a window mount. I wonder how the weight compares to most GPS units mounted on the window. If the same or lighter, then probably no problem at all.
B. You really thing they purposely hit a few dozen potholes in a small car?
C. It has 2 little inserts to take up some clearance for a naked Droid, but I see nothing that actually squeezes in at the sides.
D1. Good idea, but the magnetics and windings in the charger add more weight.
D2. Good
D3. Good

If both it and the Droid stay in place when someone hits a pothole then it looks like a good unit.

Rudy

Reaction score
B. You really thing they purposely hit a few dozen potholes in a small car?
C. It has 2 little inserts to take up some clearance for a naked Droid, but I see nothing that actually squeezes in at the sides.

If both it and the Droid stay in place when someone hits a pothole then it looks like a good unit.

I'm sure they shook the mount to see the level of vibration that would dislodge it. I don't do window mounts anyway, as they scream "break my window and steal everything." I use one of those weighted mats, so its a non issue for me.

The clips on the inserts appear to be what I thought squeezed the Droid, which they might still do. Either way, it's secured on 3 sides, and connected to a plug at the bottom. I really don't see a way for this to fall out. Unless the mount falls, and in that case I really don't see too bad of a difference.

nickfro

Reaction score
The site indicates it comes with a 'locking plate'. I assume this is the same type of plate that comes with the Motorola car kit -- basically a plastic disc that you adhere to your dashboard. This allow you to swivel the suction cup down and mount the unit on the dash, as opposed to on the window...

k_ozz

Reaction score
Anyone think this case will work with the verizon shell holster combo?

Thanks,

K

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Thats one nice looking car kit.

I personally think it's kinda bulky...and...ugly.:icon_eek:

HOWEVER!! They went with function over form on this one. It can hold the Droid either with or without the innocase (nice). Also, it eliminates the need to manually plug and unplug the USB adapter every time you insert or remove the droid from the case (very nice). Now, if only they could accomplish the same feat with the audio line out, I'd buy one no matter how ugly I thought it was.

Plug this in.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Service

Thanks for the suggestion Rudy. I've been looking at variations of these for a couple of weeks now. I'd prefer one that is specifically for automotive applications where I can hook up a switch +12V wire so that it automatically turns on/off with the car. Trouble is, they're more than I want to spend.
Walmart.com: Scosche Universal Bluetooth Receiver : Auto Electronics

Rudy

Reaction score
I personally think it's kinda bulky...and...ugly.:icon_eek:

HOWEVER!! They went with function over form on this one. It can hold the Droid either with or without the innocase (nice). Also, it eliminates the need to manually plug and unplug the USB adapter every time you insert or remove the droid from the case (very nice). Now, if only they could accomplish the same feat with the audio line out, I'd buy one no matter how ugly I thought it was.

Plug this in.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Service

Thanks for the suggestion Rudy. I've been looking at variations of these for a couple of weeks now. I'd prefer one that is specifically for automotive applications where I can hook up a switch +12V wire so that it automatically turns on/off with the car. Trouble is, they're more than I want to spend.
Walmart.com: Scosche Universal Bluetooth Receiver : Auto Electronics

How bout this $2 fix?

Part 1
Part 2

karib

Reaction score
I was excited to see that they're making a car dock, but once I saw the price...not so much. $80 for the case and car dock! That's too much. Isn't there an alternative holder that would work with one of their cases? Any suggestions (and links to view)?

mbeatle

Reaction score
I imagine it will look like a chunk of garbage when turned in portrait mode. That's the only way I use my Droid in the car. Too bad!

nickfro

Reaction score
seidioseidio - any ETA on when these will be available for pre-order? Some of us who just purchased from your company and have a 10% off coupon would LOVE to use it on the new travel kit... :)

MarkB

Reaction score
I imagine it will look like a chunk of garbage when turned in portrait mode. That's the only way I use my Droid in the car. Too bad!

Yep, I was just going to post this too. There have been a lot of discussions about the benefits of nav mode while the phone is in portrait orientation. Doesn't look like a possibility (securely) with this car dock. Passing on it.

Snagtooth

Reaction score
I think the worst part is they don't include the magnet in their docks. The car and the desk charger are both missing the magnet to switch to the different modes. They state that this is to save battery power. I love Seidio for their cases but, I think this was a large fail.

Where did you determine this? The Desktop kit specifically states it will work in Multimedia mode, although I admit I have seen no confirmation on Navigation mode on the car kit and the description currently is a bit vague.

Just wondering, as this would limit the appeal to me also. I love my other Seidio products, but if this were true - would be a major disappointment.

OP
S

seidioseidio

Reaction score
Plastikk said:

Snagtooth said:
Plastikk said:

Where did you determine this? The Desktop kit specifically states it will work in Multimedia mode, although I admit I have seen no confirmation on Navigation mode on the car kit and the description currently is a bit vague.

Just wondering, as this would limit the appeal to me also. I love my other Seidio products, but if this were true - would be a major disappointment.

Hello All,

Thank you for your comments! This is to confirm that our Desktop Cradle & Car Kits does have magnets and will put your Droid into Dock and Navigation Mode accordingly.

Hope this helped, please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,