Security lock timer & screen timeout

srvctec

Reaction score
On my phone, these two options are dependent on how the other is set. I want my screen timeout (my screen to turn off) in 1 minute, which is how I have it set, and the screen DOES turn off in 1 minute. If I set the security lock for 3 minutes, as soon as the screen turns off, I then have to unlock my phone again (by drawing a pattern) even though it's only been a minute.

Is this how eveyone else's works? If this is how it's intended, there's an engineer somewhere at Motorola that needs his head examined.

I want the lock to lock when I set it to and the screen to turn off when I set it to.

Sent from my DROID X2

RPGMasta

Reaction score
coming from a BlackBerry Storm, I find it very aggravating that I have to unlock when the screen times out. There should be a clear difference between a screen/power saving technique versus a security function. When my Storm's screen timed out, all I had to do was touch (press) the screen if there was no security enabled. even if I locked the screen manually with the button, it would come back on with a screen press, though I would still have to unlock at that point. Something I'll have to get used to I suppose.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I two options that work most of the time.

'Extended controls' widget (good to have to cycle many of your phone's functions.)

'No Lock' (an app that has persistent locking or unlocking of the screen (Sometimes after a long shut down I still had to unlock though).

The problem with both that after a couple hours shut down, the unlock screen came back up.

Last edited:

Jason.DROID

Reaction score
It's probably a bug.

I have my screen timeout set to 10 minutes and my security lock set to 5 minutes. The security lock timer is supposed to activate immediately on screen off and with my setting it does. So, it takes a total of 15 minutes for the security lock to come back if I let the screen time out. If I manually turn the screen off, which I normally do, it's 5 minutes. I use a PIN, not a pattern. The patterns are too difficult when you're riding in a car and going over bumps.

I changed my screen timeout to 1 minute just for kicks, but left the security timer at 5 minutes, and I don't have to enter my pin if I turn the screen back on after that minute (like you would with the pattern). Try the PIN lock.

OP
srvctec

srvctec

Reaction score
It's probably a bug.

I have my screen timeout set to 10 minutes and my security lock set to 5 minutes. The security lock timer is supposed to activate immediately on screen off and with my setting it does. So, it takes a total of 15 minutes for the security lock to come back if I let the screen time out. If I manually turn the screen off, which I normally do, it's 5 minutes. I use a PIN, not a pattern. The patterns are too difficult when you're riding in a car and going over bumps.

I changed my screen timeout to 1 minute just for kicks, but left the security timer at 5 minutes, and I don't have to enter my pin if I turn the screen back on after that minute (like you would with the pattern). Try the PIN lock.

It's a bug only when set like I had it set- screen off 1 min and security lock in 3 minutes. I never played around with other settings thinking this is just how they designed it. I changed my security lock to 5 minutes leaving the screen off set to 1 minute and now it works like one would think. Screen turns off in 1 minute and security lock doesn't happen until 5 minutes (just guessing, but wasn't locked after turning on screen after 4 minutes). And this is still with using the pattern.

Thanks Jason, for bringing up the "bug" idea! I'll just leave the security lock set to more than 3 minutes and it should work fine.