Security for my Droid

Reggie1269

Reaction score
I've only owned my Droid phone now for about two weeks and I love it. I had a LG Voyager phone before this one so I'm new to the smartphones as well. I would appreciate any help on helpful apps that maybe I should have. I have downloaded some of the apps that I've read about on here and this is a very helpful forum. My question now is should I consider downloading any type of antivirus apps or some type of security for the Droid to protect me from viruses, malware, or anything that I could download and hurt the Droid. Thanks in advance for your input!!

rod

Reaction score
i dl'ed flexilis. it scans each download and is always up and running, while not being a drain on the battery. it also comes with a system where, if you lose your phone around your home, you can log onto your account on a pc and set your phone to emit a loud tone to help you find it, even if is on silent. third, it comes with a tracking setting thatll locate your device if its lost or stolen away from home. i havent had the misfortune of using this part yet, and i hope i never do, but its extra piece of mind. plus, its free. so until you find one that is perfect, its a good fit.

thundercats

Reaction score
I had Flexilis running on my Droid as well but I uninstalled it simply because I didn't like waiting the extra few seconds for it to scan my application right after installing it (I know, I'm impatient :) ) Plus, since Android is really just a Linux platform anyway the likelihood of a virus running rampant on the phone is pretty slim.

mad3963

Reaction score
i dl'ed flexilis. it scans each download and is always up and running, while not being a drain on the battery. it also comes with a system where, if you lose your phone around your home, you can log onto your account on a pc and set your phone to emit a loud tone to help you find it, even if is on silent. third, it comes with a tracking setting thatll locate your device if its lost or stolen away from home. i havent had the misfortune of using this part yet, and i hope i never do, but its extra piece of mind. plus, its free. so until you find one that is perfect, its a good fit.

Have been using Flexilis for a week or so now and really like also. Seems to do what it claims. Have yet to test the location features, but plan to, just to see how it works.

jwd45244

Reaction score
You do not need an antivirus progam on your phone. The Android OS is by design more secure than a typical PC OS. Viruses or malware that run on PCs cannot run on Android.

mach330

Reaction score
i like this software as well. i love the location/scream feature although my wife doesn't like it very much since it's her phone. lol...gotta make sure that i register my own phone when i get my passion.

Lookout

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who suggested Lookout (Formerly Flexilis) for their mobile security solution.

If anyone has questions, comments, suggestions, feedback, etc, be sure to let us know at support.at.mylookout.dot.com

Thanks Everyone!

deejay

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who suggested Lookout (Formerly Flexilis) for their mobile security solution.

If anyone has questions, comments, suggestions, feedback, etc, be sure to let us know at support.at.mylookout.dot.com

Thanks Everyone!

I've been running this app for about a week and it's been great. However, I've not been able to locate my phone on a map via your website. I've clicked on CONNECT DEVICE and even get a text msg on my Droid telling me that Lookout is connecting to it but I still can't get it to locate my phone on the map. Should I uninstall/reinstall the app? Thanks.

Takami826

Reaction score
Coming from a lifetime of Windoze... the only other linux type machine I have is my little netbook which I don't use on the internet anyway (I just use it to write primarily) is an antivirus a necessity on the droid? My malware warnings and flashes on Chrome this AM made me realise Gee, maybe I better check into this so I don't get junk on my beloved droid!!

qwopzxnm

Reaction score
I like Mobile Defense, although I think they are still in Beta right now but so far it's worked great.