sd ext?

esheesle

Reaction score
So I've been running droid concepts (11 and now 12) for a month + now. Since I've installed and put all my apps on I have gone from 70mb free(after all apps installed) down to 25mb. I have gone through my apps list and nothing reports using a lot of memory. Sort of confused as to where my free space has gone. Netflix is using 21mb but it has been all along.

I'm considering trying to setup an sd apps partition. Is that possible with droid concepts and how?

Any ideas on how to find where my free space is going?

My main apps are:
k9 mail
twitter
facebook
google+
google reader(no caching)
tasker
droidforums
weatherbug
netflix
pandora
astro
winamp
gtasks
andchat

mjones73

Reaction score
You should be able to use something like Root Explorer to view the contents of /data/app and see what's taking up your space.

By default DC12 supports the Froyo apps2sd solution. Basically if the app developer tags it, you can go into Settings, Application, Manage Applications, select and app and hit Move to SD Card. The apps are moved to .android_secure on the SD card. Don't move any apps needed at boot (SetCPU, Super User, etc) or apps you're running widgets with.

If you can't find enough to move using that method, hopefully someone can comment if you can use other apps2sd methods.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Yep, DC supports the standard Android/Google way of doing apps to SD, and it will remain that way, like mjones has said check out which apps are storing a lot of data, and move any big ones over to your SD Card. And if there are apps you don't NEED then uninstall them, I don't know what you personally have installed, but I have a lot of friends who have a crap load of apps that are useless/un-needed. I don't use mine much for games, but games do take up a good chunk of space, so if you don't play the games really on your device there should be no harm in removing them.

You should be able to use something like Root Explorer to view the contents of /data/app and see what's taking up your space.

By default DC12 supports the Froyo apps2sd solution. Basically if the app developer tags it, you can go into Settings, Application, Manage Applications, select and app and hit Move to SD Card. The apps are moved to .android_secure on the SD card. Don't move any apps needed at boot (SetCPU, Super User, etc) or apps you're running widgets with.

If you can't find enough to move using that method, hopefully someone can comment if you can use other apps2sd methods.

shawner47

Reaction score
I am running Link2SD with DC12 using a FAT32 second partition. Works great, just wish I could get it to see an ext(2,3,4) partition as well as my swap partition, though I'm not even sure Froyo supports swap.

CorCor67

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
corey-spencer.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I am running Link2SD with DC12 using a FAT32 second partition. Works great, just wish I could get it to see an ext(2,3,4) partition as well as my swap partition, though I'm not even sure Froyo supports swap.

In order for it to see ext(2,3,4) partitions on SD you will need a kernel with these built in. If they are modules you need to insmod the modules then remount SD.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

shawner47

Reaction score
In order for it to see ext(2,3,4) partitions on SD you will need a kernel with these built in. If they are modules you need to insmod the modules then remount SD.

Right, I thought that was the case. I am running prime's kernels at the moment and I am pretty sure it has ext support built in yet I can't get it to mount an ext partition.
Do your kernels have ext support? I'll give them a try also if so. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Not even sure why I care that much to have it working but I just do. LOL

CorCor67

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
corey-spencer.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Yes they are supported in my kernels but as modules not built in...you would have to insmod them every time you reboot or set an init.d script for them