SD-ext

bookie

Reaction score
Here's a straight up noob question. I see an option to partition my sdcard which would give me sd-ext. What exactly is the use of that?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

travisn000

Reaction score
...just a guess, as I haven't seen or used the option.. my bet is that it will format all or part of the SD card with an ext filesystem.

Ext is the default linux filesystem (Android uses a linux kernel), where FAT is the usual filesystem used in removable media for windows systems. If you choose to use the ext filesystem and you are a windows user, you will have to install a (open-source) driver in windows to read / write to the EXT partition of your memory card.

dr_jpeg

Reaction score
I just got a new Droid Charge but this is a general AOS question.
Although my sd card is 32GB, when I use Quick System Info Pro to view a2sd capacity it says that I have about 400MB total and about 200MB available. My question is this: is there a way to allocate more space for a2sd? I've heard about an sd-ext partition. If that is the answer, is there a way to create this partition without losing data from the sd card? Are there any size limits to this partition? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jhutchh

Reaction score
minitool partitionwizard... youll want the main part to be fat32, the ext to be 2 3 or 4 and linux swap partition... if your still tryingg this ill get you more info

dr_jpeg

Reaction score
minitool partitionwizard... youll want the main part to be fat32, the ext to be 2 3 or 4 and linux swap partition... if your still tryingg this ill get you more info

Thanks for your reply.
Yes please. Can I do it without data loss on the SD card? Any size limitations? Any info will be appreciated.