Sd cards

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Google seems to be killing the sd card. Do sd cards matter to you people? They matter to me a lot because whenever I get a new phone I can just swap my sd card on the new phone. Also because you can buy lets say a 16 GB phone and decide to upgrade the storage later on. Don't get me started on 128 GB phones. It's not that easy. I NEED to have my data on external storage. I'm constantly moving data to my computer from my phone. I think the usb data transfer method from phone to computer is pretty tedious. I also just think it's better to have data on external storage. There's endless reasons to why I prefer external storage. I was excited to get the Moto X 2014 but the fact that there's no sd card ruined my chances of getting it. I'd get an HTC One M8 because of the bootloader unlock and sd card but my dad already has the same phone and I don't want to collect two of the same phones in my collection after two years. I'd get a Samsung Galaxy S5 but there is no bootloader unlock exploit. I am definitely not getting an Apple device. Android is way better than iOS. Apparently there's a rumored Nexus 6 device. Its gonna be the same size as the Galaxy Note 4 and will come from Motorola. I hope it has an sd card or else I'm not buying it. I know why Google is killing sd cards too so don't get me started on that. I have a counterclaim for the reasons Google is killing the sd card. Google should just go the Microsoft way instead of trying to kill the sd card. Android has problems with sd card permissions, security and stuff. But Windows has never had external storage problems because Microsoft has a housed partition in Windows for external storage while keeping the file system untouched. Someone really needs to tell Google to do this: instead of killing the sd card, just make a housed partition in Android for the sd card like Microsoft does in Windows.That way the Android OS stays untouched and secure from vulnerabilities. So what do you people think? Comment your opinions on this thread. The phone Im gonna get is either the Galaxy S5 (if a bootloader unlock exploit is found) or an HTC One M8 if no exploit is found for the S5 by the time my contract ends in May 2015.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not sure about those that have released since then, but the galaxy nexus had no SD card slot. Since Google decided external storage was "confusing for users," they tend to not offer it on Nexus devices.

That's why I switched the galaxy s4 when it was time to upgrade & am now awaiting my note 4.

I agree with you in that I want to be able to expand storage, but I don't mind USB data transfer. Although, my pics & videos upload to the cloud automatically over wifi, so I really only transfer data when using the phone as temporary external storage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I thought I would miss SD Card storage when I bought my Droid Maxx...but so far have not missed it at all.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I thought I would miss SD Card storage when I bought my Droid Maxx...but so far have not missed it at all.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I would miss it if this 16gb s4 didn't have it. I have apps installed to the SD & still have to uninstall apps when I want to install a large game like asphalt. I surely just uninstalled asphalt because I didn't have room to update it & had already parted with all the apps I could.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the 32gb note 4, especially since I lost my unlimited data to get it & have since been downloading music from Google all access to avoid streaming.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Not sure about those that have released since then, but the galaxy nexus had no SD card slot. Since Google decided external storage was "confusing for users," they tend to not offer it on Nexus devices.

That's why I switched the galaxy s4 when it was time to upgrade & am now awaiting my note 4.

I agree with you in that I want to be able to expand storage, but I don't mind USB data transfer. Although, my pics & videos upload to the cloud automatically over wifi, so I really only transfer data when using the phone as temporary external storage.

I actually don't mind usb transfer either. Its actually useful sometimes. However, there are times where I have to plug in the sd card directly to the computer.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I miss the days when they included a card with purchase of a phone. I've upgraded to a 32gb now, but getting 8 or 16 for free was a nice bonus & allowed me to spread the love to friends & family.

raterbedes

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone
looking forward to the 32gb note 4, especially since I lost my unlimited data to get it & have since been downloading music from Google all access to avoid streaming.
1pFqtfC
1pFqtfC

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
My preference is to have an SD as I want my files local. I do not want to depend on any cloud service.

Jerbear2011

Reaction score
I don't think I'd be able to get a phone that doesn't support an ad card either

Sent from my Bump'd VS985 4G

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Would it be a good idea to get a Nexus 6 which has no SD card slot, root it, and buy a mini SD card reader? I feel like wanting to get a Nexus 6 because it look cool. And the fact that its a huge phone, and its a Nexus phone made by Motorola makes me want to get it. Even though it doesn't have an SD card slot, we can still buy a mini SD card reader. But in order to make it work, you need to root. Nexus devices have been known to be easy to hack.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm one for SD cards ..so easy to pop in and go ..currently giving the One+ a go and it's good to have 64GB model which I would only get on Nexus 6 ..

One+1

david Richard

Reaction score
SD Card is serious issue with android. it becomes open source so it does not remain secure

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Would it be a good idea to get a Nexus 6 which has no SD card slot, root it, and buy a mini SD card reader? I feel like wanting to get a Nexus 6 because it look cool. And the fact that its a huge phone, and its a Nexus phone made by Motorola makes me want to get it. Even though it doesn't have an SD card slot, we can still buy a mini SD card reader. But in order to make it work, you need to root. Nexus devices have been known to be easy to hack.
The purpose of a phone with an SD slot is to have the ability to access the data at will. I would never carry an additional device and have to plug it in and wait for the phone to recognize it. I don't see the value.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I am a nerd. I do things that most people do not.

That being said, I have a NAS and many ways with which to access it. WiFi transfers over a 5Ghz wireless network tend to be faster and more efficient for me. I use both ES File Explorer and Root Explorer to get to what I need to. I also have a VM setup so I can connect to it as long as I have data service.

This is how I manage without an SD card. The best part is, almost anyone can do this. A router upgrade may be required to facilitate a VPN connection to gain access to network resources. It is actually quite easy to setup, but would put cloud storage companies out of business. Also, many people's Internet connections at home could make it difficult to access large files.

An SD card slot is nice. You might look at other manufacturers when the time comes to swap phones. Some lesser known in the US brands often have SD card slots. If you must have a US flagship, your choices are quite limited.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wait a minute, the N6 supports USB OTG, so there's no need to hack or root to use an OTG reader. I have several, they're crazy cheap and work perfectly. My favorite one is no bigger than the first digit of my index finger and cost me a whopping $2 shipped off eBay.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281470248223&alt=web

0c4ad9ef232a6fdbcee1f9c8ebeb84fd.jpg

Is the one I got. Ordered 3 because they were so cheap. Plug into phone, transfer data, pull out, flip over, plug into PC and dump, or vice versa.

SD card slides into the little slot on the standard USB end as seen below.

1b0999ba771ed4b36169fd57dac80b1a.jpg

77aeb320ca2d6a3f435aa9506aedd983.jpg

Last edited: