SD Card?

AceDROID

Reaction score
Okay, so I know the phone just came out yesterday, and we already have root (yes I jumped on), but can someone PLEASE explain to me why this is happening?

So, I use Mini Info widget on my homescreen. It shows, as the internal memory (middle icon) the 3 gigs of memory allocated strictly for apps..
In the third spot (The one that shows an sd card) It ONLY shows the 8 gigs that it gives you for whatever, not the actual SD card that's inserted.

For the record, I took my 32 gig sd card out of my Thunderbolt and put it in the Droid 4. Now, if I go into say, AndExplorer, I can access the card under sdcard-ext, and "sdcard" brings me to the 8 gigs of internal memory.. Now here's where it gets REALLY annoying..

I'm in my camera. I go to chose where I want my pictures and videos to be saved. It gives me Internal or SD Card.. but the SD card ISN'T THE SD CARD! IT'S THE INTERNAL MEMORY!!!

Does ANYBODY have a clue as to what is going on? I really don't think a format is needed, as if I go into my gallery all my pictures and stuff show up (obviously not in any kind of folder like they were in on my Thunderbolt, but whatever) But the point is I can still read and access everything there, and even save by copying/pasting stuff, but the phone can't save/show stats of the sd card that I have installed in apps like the camera? Is this just a serious flaw? Or is there some sort of menu option I'm missing? This is such an annoyance. I know I can't be the only one dealing with this issue..

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Go to market and get Auto mount your sd, its simple download and plug usb to computer and click "Help".

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

OP
AceDROID

AceDROID

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand.. why download auto mount? If the sd card is being read, than doesn't that mean that it's already mounted?

Just tried it and that didn't solve the issue... -_-

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
So if its mounted then get a file management app.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Thanks for your advice aqworld. But they don't need auto mount & they have a file explorer. What they need is someone with a D4 to help them understand how it's memory works. Please be careful how you give advice :)

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
So I have the RAZR, but similar OS.
In the camera. If you have SD Card selected, the pics should be on the SD card. Using My Files app, I found thumbnails in the internal storage but the actual pics are located on the SD card in the dcim folder.
As for the widget, you are correct in that it does only show the internal memory as the SD card. There is no option for the actual SD card. This would be a software issue with the widget it self. I am not sure if there are any other phones that break up the storage the way ours does.
The only way I know to see the actual SD card storage capacity, is using the storage file in settings. It will show 3 different storage locations.
One more thing, since you are rooted, make sure that any files you need for flashing are located/moved to sd-ext. This is the actual removable SD card. sd-int, or something similar, is the internal memory. Hope this helped.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
AceDROID

AceDROID

Reaction score
Yeah, I know they would need to be on sd-ext. Its really a pain. I'm not new to this whole thing at all I just thought it was kind of weird the way this does that.

Oh, and I just checked the dcim folder in sdcard-ext.. no pictures. I took a few and they aren't showing up. They are in the phone's internal memory.
-_-

Last edited:

kasouti

Reaction score
Mine is autodumping pictures to the sdcard-ext for me. The only thing I can think of is that I initially told my system to auto transfer using the manage internal storage option in storage when I first inserted the card. It's possible that unlocks a script or some such. Other than that I've done nothing special and mine is saving to either the real sd card or internal depending on my option chosen within the camera app.

Bigfoot77

Reaction score
Mine is saving to the external card automatically, without ever selecting any options. I didn't try the camera out until after I had the card (16GB) installed. Might try using a different SD card and see if you get the same results, I've had devices act a little funky with specific SD cards, especially higher capacity ones (probably not the case here, but who knows).

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
There's an option in the camera to save internally or on the SD card. After I mounted the card I took a photo and it created a DCIM/camera folder. From there I transfered all my photos and videos there from my computer.

ashobe

Reaction score
sd card

On my Droid 4. under file manager I have listed internal phone storage and the SD card. SD Card shows several folders including dcim which has all the camera photos. I dont like to root but do want to see all the available files that I can so I use OI File Manager App... it lets you distinguish what you are actually looking at want is 'mnt' (mounted). Both the sdcard and sdcard-ext folders under the root have a dcim folder but the 'internal SD is it all CAPS (DCIM) and the SD-ext is in lower case (dcim)

Don't know if this helps but i moved my sd card from my Droid3 and did not make any changes to the settings for the camera and they are save on the SD Card-ext so I can pull them off of the device directly onto my computer
:blink:

OP
AceDROID

AceDROID

Reaction score
Yeah I pulled my 32gb from my thunderbolt.. so I figure I guess I have to reformat it, either because going from HTC to Motorola the card is just like jsrvkxwhcjrsyefwWTFBBQSAUCE -_- ... I'll have to transfer stuff over to my laptop, reformat it, and go from there.... though I don't know how I'll do that because under storage settings, reformat card is actually grayed out. Soooo that puts an even more confusing look on my face..

a6f80eca-8465-9726.jpg

Kack

Reaction score
if you go to settings in the camera and set it to sd card it creates a folder on you sdcard-ext > dcim >camera. just a different name folder but it is on the sd card. the folder on my thunderbolt was 100media but it also was under the dcim folder. shouldnt be much harder than that.