Sd card-ext

Fumbles93

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any way (and kind of fix or 'fix') to get it so that files (media especially - music, downloads, pics, etc.) get saved to the sd card (sd card-ext) [you know, the legit external sd card - mins is 16gb other prob have 32gb] and not the internal memory (sd card)? Does changing the folder names help at all?
I had a theory that everything automagically saves to the internal memory becuz the internal memory folder is called sd card and most apps and stuff automatically saves to any folder called that - so my theory is to rename the internal memory folder (sd card) to something like 'sd card-int' or 'internal memory' and rename the actual sd card (sd card-ext) to 'sd card' to correct this but i have no idea if that will work or if it will seriously mess everything up.......

Also, sorry if this sounded super confusing - i tried to make it clear which folder was which and im afraid i prolly made it even more confusing lol..
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Alchemist945

Reaction score
If u use astro file u can see what all is on SD and phone and move it all around and rename and delete

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
Fumbles93

Fumbles93

Reaction score
If u use astro file u can see what all is on SD and phone and move it all around and rename and delete

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Yea i know and have done this but what i want to know is if changing the 2 folders will fix it so that certain things get saved in certain places... or something. Lol

Alchemist945

Reaction score
I know some of my apps just default to one place but if u change name Idk if it would work or not u could always just try it out

Sent from my Droid incredible 2

OP
Fumbles93

Fumbles93

Reaction score
Im afraid to tho - see the thing is that on the DROID Bionic the sd card and the internal memory show up both as sd cards for some reason - the internal memory is called 'sd card' and the actual sd card is called 'sd card-ext' which is ridiculous

My fear is that changing their names might mess everything up somehow lol

OP
Fumbles93

Fumbles93

Reaction score
So then that means everything automatically gets saved onto the internal memory instead of the sd card.......

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think we are going to find out that these naming conventions are on these phones because of the soon to be released upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich operating system. That OS version will save all apps to the internal storage, all media to the sdcard and all our other junk to the sdcard-ext. Not sure of that, of course, but it seems to be where we're headed.

Good luck.

OP
Fumbles93

Fumbles93

Reaction score
You're probably right - i just wish that if they were gonna do that to the saving system of the bionic, they would have made it make more sense: apps and stuff of that nature save to the internal and multimedia stuff save to sd card....

Batman8

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any way (and kind of fix or 'fix') to get it so that files (media especially - music, downloads, pics, etc.) get saved to the sd card (sd card-ext) [you know, the legit external sd card - mins is 16gb other prob have 32gb] and not the internal memory (sd card)? Does changing the folder names help at all?
I had a theory that everything automagically saves to the internal memory becuz the internal memory folder is called sd card and most apps and stuff automatically saves to any folder called that - so my theory is to rename the internal memory folder (sd card) to something like 'sd card-int' or 'internal memory' and rename the actual sd card (sd card-ext) to 'sd card' to correct this but i have no idea if that will work or if it will seriously mess everything up.......

Also, sorry if this sounded super confusing - i tried to make it clear which folder was which and im afraid i prolly made it even more confusing lol..

Fumbles,

I have had multiple conversations with Motorola about this new structure and how it seems to "confuse" many games that save their data folders to the "real" SD Card, so they do know about the affects now (although they admit not thinking about large game data folders), and I'm still not sure what will be done but I SURELY WOULD NOT try to change/rename things because I think it could really mess things up. BayouFlyFisher may be right about it being the future of ICS, but all I know is it could be a headache if apps and games stop working and started saving data all over the place (in the wrong places). That's just my opinion.

OP
Fumbles93

Fumbles93

Reaction score
Fumbles,

I have had multiple conversations with Motorola about this new structure and how it seems to "confuse" many games that save their data folders to the "real" SD Card, so they do know about the affects now (although they admit not thinking about large game data folders), and I'm still not sure what will be done but I SURELY WOULD NOT try to change/rename things because I think it could really mess things up. BayouFlyFisher may be right about it being the future of ICS, but all I know is it could be a headache if apps and games stop working and started saving data all over the place (in the wrong places). That's just my opinion.

Lol that's why i havent done it and Idk if i will - maybe motorola will fix it if they know about it. Hopefully. And yea ICS is deff a possibility but the save system is really confusing .. :/