SD card

valid

Reaction score
Try maybe taking the card out of the phone and putting it in a Micro SD holder to see if it will read that way , also do you have the latest drivers for USB if not , they are here I had to upgrade the USB drivers to do a root https://motorola-global-portal.cust...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzU0MTEzMjA2L3NpZC81S0FLeHBjbA== let me know what happens

The only driver that did not install was the MTP USB Device driver. Going to put a known good micro card in DX and it reads it. Need to reboot comp.to see if MTP error clears up.

snowman

Reaction score
The driver probably install till you plug the phone in to usb

comk4ver

Reaction score
Did you try to uninstall the device from device manager then restart then install the drivers for the phone?

trail_guy

Reaction score
So Samsung has this phone set up so you can not move any thing to the card even if you are on a custom rom? Just curious if rooting and putting a custom rom would fix the storage problem. Thanks.

GVLBob

Reaction score
First, pictures and music can be stored on a SD card, so it's not correct to say that nothing can be stored there. And it's my understanding that Google made that change regarding apps, not Samsung.

For the gamers out there, is the data for games also stored on a SD card if one is present when the game is installed?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem stems from early Google phones having a single non upgradable internal storage card that was partitioned. Back then you could move apps to the second partition. But Google never specified what any external, (add-on), memory should be called and since there is no standard naming convention between manufacturers for the external memory Google removed the ability to move apps to SD as it was causing problems with apps being able to interact with the OS.

As was pointed out by Bob many apps have settings allowingt you to specify the SD card either as the default data storage or download location.

Samsung will come out with an update that will be Samsung specific that will provide a very limited ability to move at least portions of some of the stock apps to SD.

trail_guy

Reaction score
So would rooting make it possible to free up more space in the system memory?
The problem stems from early Google phones having a single non upgradable internal storage card that was partitioned. Back then you could move apps to the second partition. But Google never specified what any external, (add-on), memory should be called and since there is no standard naming convention between manufacturers for the external memory Google removed the ability to move apps to SD as it was causing problems with apps being able to interact with the OS.

As was pointed out by Bob many apps have settings allowingt you to specify the SD card either as the default data storage or download location.

Samsung will come out with an update that will be Samsung specific that will provide a very limited ability to move at least portions of some of the stock apps to SD.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think that rooting alone would allow you to move apps to the SD card and apps are typically not the problem. It's data and cache. You should be able to move all your photos, videos and documents to external memory. I use Kaiten Mail and can specify that all the mail can also be stored on the SD card. Clean Master is a good app to get rid of junk files and Disk Usage will allow you to find out what's taking up all the space.

trail_guy

Reaction score
Actually it is the apps. The os and the apps Samsung put on this phone takes up over half of the 16gigs of memory just trying to get more space phone is new I have very little on it.

GVLBob

Reaction score
Actually it is the apps. The os and the apps Samsung put on this phone takes up over half of the 16gigs of memory just trying to get more space phone is new I have very little on it.

I believe that you will find that loading your own apps takes up very little additional space. All of my 68 apps only require an additional 1.08 GB. I still have 7.72 GB of storage remaining after installing those apps (but no games).

Now, I have installed all of my music and picture files on my SD card.

In a practical sense, you should find that 16 GB of storage on the phone is fine.

trail_guy

Reaction score
I don't think that rooting alone would allow you to move apps to the SD card and apps are typically not the problem. It's data and cache. You should be able to move all your photos, videos and documents to external memory. I use Kaiten Mail and can specify that all the mail can also be stored on the SD card. Clean Master is a good app to get rid of junk files and Disk Usage will allow you to find out what's taking up all the space.

Love the email app you told me about. Thanks.

trail_guy

Reaction score
I believe that you will find that loading your own apps takes up very little additional space. All of my 68 apps only require an additional 1.08 GB. I still have 7.72 GB of storage remaining after installing those apps (but no games).

Now, I have installed all of my music and picture files on my SD card.

In a practical sense, you should find that 16 GB of storage on the phone is fine.

Ya I am sure that you are right just getting ahead of myself thank you.