sd card wont format

mgrover1

Reaction score
my sd card became damaged after a random reboot on bb v0.1. My sd card wouldnt format on bb and still wont format on kangerade?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Will a PC format it if it's pulled from the phone?

OP
M

mgrover1

Reaction score
i tried putting it in my computers media slot and it doesn't recognize it. in the phone it says sd card damaged. it became damaged when my phone randomly rebooted while i was downloading something

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you keep in your phone and mount does your PC recognize? If so, copy everything off then manually delete everything on the card. If you are confident that the data is not corrupted copy everything back to the card and see what hapens

Mike

slanidracula

Reaction score
i tried putting it in my computers media slot and it doesn't recognize it. in the phone it says sd card damaged. it became damaged when my phone randomly rebooted while i was downloading something

EXACTLY the same thing happened to my Bugless Beast v1 today. The partition was totally corrupted. Data was not recoverable, although I had everything backed up anyway. I could not format the SD Card in the Droid, through recovery, in the PC with Linux or Windows 7. It was toast. I unrooted and marched it back the Verizon. They swapped my card.

Re-Rooting currently.

OP
M

mgrover1

Reaction score
If you keep in your phone and mount does your PC recognize? If so, copy everything off then manually delete everything on the card. If you are confident that the data is not corrupted copy everything back to the card and see what hapens

Mike

it wont recognize it but does anyone know why it wont format in the phone?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
No that is very strange. I don't have any other suggestions. Let me see if I can get another member of RS to weigh in.

Mike

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
My best guess is something went foul when you were doing the download. The reboot probably toasted your card. I would do as slanidracula did and unroot and take it in and try to get a new one. Once they're shot it's done. Since nothing will recognize it and you're phone is saying it's damaged, well its damaged. I'm sorry there doesn't seem to be a better option.

motthome

Reaction score
SD Card damaged

Hello all,
Just wanted to share with all my exp w/droid sd cards.
I've killed three before learning how to get it back w/o replacing it. :icon_eek:
Each time i tried to reformat the card from the droid with no success. Even failed with every app i could find including two paid apps that claim to be able to recover data/manage SD cards.
Nothing worked period. Could'nt mount the drive and when an app was able to see the card it could do nada to it.
So, last week I murdered my fourth card. (YARGG!!:icon_evil:)
I was gonna take the droid n card to VZ for a replacement card but my droid wasnt stock.
I dropped it back to stock and for giggles I tried formatting it and WHAM!
Instantly reformatted and ready for use.
And I busted the card AGAIN (pulled battery out during ???) Same thing, couldnt reformat it until going back to stock rom.

Moral: If you bust your card & just want your card back asap & you have a GOOD Backup saved elsewhere...
1 - get your droid back to stock (wishes, spells & incantations wont work!!)
2 - reformat the SD card,
3 - reroot droid,
4 - restore from backup.

Last edited:

jlewi042

Reaction score
how in the world did you guys get your phone back to stock? mine says it is damaged and needs to be reformatted. it wont format and the phone basically doesnt even see it in there

EDIT: I fixed it using rsd light... flash to stock... stock droid was able to reformat sd card successfully!

Last edited: