SD card unmounted itself.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed my photos were gone last night so I checked my storage and my SD card was unmounted.
Any ideas as to why it would unmount itself?
I haven't rebooted the phone in a few days, it's not rooted, other than Swype freezing it hasn't been acting up either. Stock ICS, Nova Launcher.
Thanks

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

acejavelin

Reaction score
I noticed my photos were gone last night so I checked my storage and my SD card was unmounted.
Any ideas as to why it would unmount itself?
I haven't rebooted the phone in a few days, it's not rooted, other than Swype freezing it hasn't been acting up either. Stock ICS, Nova Launcher.
Thanks

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Throw it away, it's trashed... Then go buy an iPhone 5 :icon_ devil:

Seriously though, my work Rez did this a couple times right after getting ICS, I just pulled the battery, removed the microSD card and used some compressed air on the slot, reseated the card and put it all back together and no problems since. Not sure if it would help, but it's a simple thing to try.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sure I'll try it. Thanks.
The only thing I can think of operationally would be the other day as Dropbox was uploading some photos I was deleting some that were in the upload que(sp?)
I doubt the Swype update, the same day it happened, that broke Swype on the phone did it though until I force closed Swype the phone was laggy and the battery was running very warm, but with all this fragmentation it's possible I suppose.
My Inc 1 forgets the gallery every now and then but doesn't unmount the card so I figured they were still somewhere when I started looking. Opening a file explorer, open DCIM, on the Inc seems to refresh its memory when they disappear. When they weren't in the DCIM and ES showed external sd card as empty I went the look in storage settings route.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

vatothe0

Reaction score
Had that happen to me as well. After a few days I figured out what happened. No idea what caused it though.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had that happen to me as well. After a few days I figured out what happened. No idea what caused it though.

Has it done it since?
Mine hasn't so far.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

vatothe0

Reaction score
No but it only happened last Thursday or so. Fixed it Saturday.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me a bunch of times.

It did it again Thursday.
Since turning off "backup and sync" in Swype beta and switching my text app to Chomp from Handcent my phone has been faster, better battery life and card hasn't acted up at all. Handcent wouldn't compute the data size within the app and wouldn't allow me to switch it to phone instead of card. I switched to Chomp in Thursday evening.
Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

vatothe0

Reaction score
I've had this happen twice more in the last week or so.

I have Swype but no 3rd party text apps.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had this happen twice more in the last week or so.

I have Swype but no 3rd party text apps.

Do you have Swype backup and sync unchecked? Mine hasn't messed up since disabling that "feature" in Swype beta.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

vatothe0

Reaction score
I must have an old version installed. I don't see those options at all.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Swype Connect isn't in the menu with preferences, etc you're running an older version and that should eliminate Swype being the problem. The bug was introduced in the last updates, about a month or less ago.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><