"SD Card Unexpectedly Removed"

novakom

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had my DInc since launch and it's always worked great. I'm not a novice but I'm not a power user either. I recently got a SD Card (16 GB) so that I could use the NitroDesk Touchdown app (allows for MS Exchange use)-the reason is that the email certs that I need to connect to my work email have to be placed on the SD Card so that Touchdown sees them (for whatever reason). Once I got this set up, everything was working great, until about a week ago, when as I was getting on a plane, all of a sudden I got an alert (normal alert, on the alert bar at the top of the display) that the "SD Card was unexpectedly removed". I tried to verify this through using the Astro file manager app, and that ended up freaking out the phone-it eventually hung so bad that I had to pull the battery to reset. However, once I powered it on again, everything started working again, so I figured it was just a random crash.

Today however, I got the same alert. This time I was able to power it down, pop out & re-seat the SD Card, and restart, once again resulting in everything being ok again. My main concern is, though, is this an issue with my phone, or an issue with the SD Card? If nobody else has seen this problem then it's probably just a bad SD Card and I'll get a new one; however if it's a phone issue it's definitely a major concern.

So my question is, has anyone else had this problem (seen the "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed" alert)?

Many thanks.

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
Alert

Have not seen or herd of this problem. Did you format SD card right after install ?

OP
N

novakom

Reaction score
I did not. I take it that is standard practice? I'll give it a shot.

jeffrdl

Reaction score
I have had this exact issue as well. I used my phone vigorously over the last 30 days to evaluate if I was going to keep the DInc and had no problems, other than the occasional restart.

I had the exact issue you described to include the phone lockup, etc. The 16 gb card I had was used well and I had no issues for a month. Now repeatedly I get a message for the SD card being "Unexpectedly Removed". I have to take the back off, remove the card, boot it up without a card, shut it down then insert the card and reboot again, then it recognizes the card and I have access to my files.

If left alone for an hour or so and I have to access the files again, I have to repeat the entire process. One thing though, I do not have to deal with the total phone lockout...that happened only that first time.

Verizon is no help here. After doing their hard reboot to factory settings, the problem remains and I am now out of my free look period. I would love to find out if someone found a fix on this. Until then, I will use the 2gb card for a while and see if it happens on the stock card I got from Verizon. I will post back if this happens on this sd card as well, to rule out a bad card.

I know I wasn't much help, but at least you now know you are not alone in this.

Last edited:
OP
N

novakom

Reaction score
Thanks much for letting me know that at least one other person has the same issue. I think I'll take the card back and get a replacement and see if the issue persists. Please let me know if you see the same problem with your 2GB card. Eventually we should be able to figure out if it's a card problem or a phone problem.