SD Card music storage

shivermeister

Reaction score
I am trying to sync my droid 2 with my itunes using "itunes agent." I set up itunes agent, synced a few songs and everything looked good. I went to sync a chunk of my library (about 11 gigs) and itunes agent is telling me there is not enough room on my device. My available storage on my SD card reads 7.50 GB and internal phone reads 6.19GB. 13+ gigs available all told. Why can I not move this music. Do I have to change a setting to make some of the music push through to the SD card instead of it just going to internal memory? Thanks for the help...

mewshi

Reaction score
I think you're going to need a bigger microSD card. As far as I know, you can only store music on the SD card, not on the internal memory.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mweshi is correct your music is stored on the SD card not internal memory.

mewshi

Reaction score
Fortunately, a new MicroSD card can be bought for 25 bucks from Amazon (for a class 2) or 34 (for a class 4). These are 16GB figures, however. Then again, most threads I've read suggest *not* going with a 32GB card.

OP
S

shivermeister

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick help guys. What is the reason for that?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your internal memory is reserved for your apps and system.

klay

Reaction score
I am a newbie and I'm wanting to add more music to my droid incredible, when I plug in my phone to pc, I only see "CD Drive (G) Verizon Mobile" which has 0 bytes free of 4.65 MB, and "Removable Disk (H) 5.22 GB free of 6.59" Now, to me it looks like there are 0 bytes free on my 4GB card and 5GB free on my phones memory? I dont know if this is right. I do know my phone has like 8GB internal memory and I have a 4GB card. I want to add more music but not if its going to the phones memory and not the card. Maybe someone can clear this up for me? I believe I'm kinda lost. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

mewshi

Reaction score
Are you sure you have a 4GB card? D2s come with an 8GB card by default, iirc.

OP
S

shivermeister

Reaction score
Back to the 16GB cards, does brand matter? Kingston, Sandisk, etc? What about class? I am assuming class 4 would be the way to go?

Additionally, when I swap out the cards, what will happen to what was on my original SD card? Is that backed up somewhere where I can bring it back, or do I somehow have to do it manually or what?

Thanks

mewshi

Reaction score
I'm assuming you have some sort of SD card reader (built into a laptop, a USB card reader, et cetera).

What you should if you're worried about losing stuff is make a copy of everything to your computer from the current SD card, and then move it on over to the new card.

Also, yes, higher-class SD cards will perform much better. I have a class 4 Kingston 16 GB card, personally, and it's wonderful.

SanDisk also makes very good MicroSD cards. They're what I went with until I found this 16 GB Class 4 for 40 bucks including shipping.

klay

Reaction score
Yeah, my Incredible came with a 2G card, and I bought the 4G card. I just don't really want to slow my phone down, cause force closes, or anything like that by just adding more music. I don't see my card to add the music there, I just add it to the drive that shows space available, which I believe to be my phone memory, not the card. Hate to buy another card if it isn't getting any use. ? ? ? still lost.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

klay

Reaction score
7 days and I still am in the same position . . .
after reading some of the other post, when music files are added are they magically placed onto the card and not the phones memory? If so I'll just keep adding music untill I cant add anymore.

klay

Reaction score
Mmm .... hello?

klay

Reaction score
Okay ... merry xmas

klay

Reaction score
And a happy new year! :(