SD CARD Encrypting issues?

fortune730

Reaction score
so i synced my Enterprise mail account and it required me to encrypt the sd car now i can take a pic and i cant view it in the gallery. i know its there because i can located it with a file explorer. i assume its the enterprise activation security issue. ANYBODY??????????

jomama313

Reaction score
I've had the same issue. I pulled the battery and pulled the card before I took it in. Verizon gave me a new phone because they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They tried wiping the phone before giving me a new one. I was able to use the SD card and load music, store pictures in the gallery etc. Then I activated the enterprise and now I'm having same issues again. I know my enterprise requires SD encryption and I asked if that was the issue and everyone keeps saying no but I don't see what else it would be. This phone is going to be half as useful if i can't use the camera. My music is still there but the last time I was prompted to clear the card which of course got rid of my music.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had the same issue. I pulled the battery and pulled the card before I took it in. Verizon gave me a new phone because they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They tried wiping the phone before giving me a new one. I was able to use the SD card and load music, store pictures in the gallery etc. Then I activated the enterprise and now I'm having same issues again. I know my enterprise requires SD encryption and I asked if that was the issue and everyone keeps saying no but I don't see what else it would be. This phone is going to be half as useful if i can't use the camera. My music is still there but the last time I was prompted to clear the card which of course got rid of my music.

It is the issue. Your Exchange Server requires the device to be encrypted and by allowing it, your internal storage and SD card are now encrypted.

This does a few things...

1) On the Razr, it limits your video recording to 720p. No 1080p for you!
2) All files are now encrypted. You can copy them to your PC with the USB cable, but they are still encrypted. Only the phone can view them now. And if you remove the encrypted email account, any files created when the drive was encrypted, stay encrypted and cannot be used on anything but the phone.
3) You may not know this, but the Exchange Server now has Admin rights to your phone. They can remotely lock you out of the phone, or delete the contents of the internal storage or SD card without your consent. And you cannot take away their ability to do so unless you delete that email account. As long as the email account is there, they OWN that phone.

OP
F

fortune730

Reaction score
I figured out a workaround. So here it is wipe phone. Go thru the setting up of accounts and only sync your enterprise account. Restart phone go to take a pic, and see if the problem is still there. Now go to storage and sd in your main settings you will notice that phone storage says read only. WIPE phone storage reset the phone and it should be okay from that point on. So on restart snap a new pic, and see what the verdict is. If its all good sync the rest of your accounts and music. Now here is the really ****y part for me is taking the sd card out of the phone and putting it into my computer is the fastest way to copy files, but if you encrypt it you have to transfer files thru the phone, and USB cable provided.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

kheenmachine

Reaction score
i am having the same issue as well. It is the policy coming from the exchange server that is causing the issue. While the External SD is encrypted and can be used the internal memory is encrypting therefore going into read only mode. Not sure why there is no checkbox to encrype that. Hoping there is a fix for this soon as you cant sync to the exchange server without the card being encrypted

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I ended up returning my Razr and one of the reasons was the stupid SD card. Once encrypted from the email account, *ANY* file on the drive that was created during that time, stays encrypted. When I hard reset the phone, it could no longer access that SD card even after I entered the PIN. Even taking the SD card out and trying to format it on a regular desktop PC failed.

I can understand why they have this feature, but as the owner of the phone *I* should have the choice of whether to allow encryption or not. My DX didn't have encryption and it accessed that same Exchange Server and email just fine. So if the phone does not support encryption, it allows you to connect just fine, but if the phone supports it, you MUST use it or it will not let you set up that email account.

OP
F

fortune730

Reaction score
I had the droid razr and didnt have to encrypt the sd card that's an HTC extra security measure.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had the droid razr and didnt have to encrypt the sd card that's an HTC extra security measure.

If you didn't, then it is because the Exchange Server's Policy didn't require it. If it does, then you have to encrypt in order to use the email account and it gives them complete control of the device from remote.

OP
F

fortune730

Reaction score
I'm going to agree to disagree. I have had the same email account, but 3 different devices in a week... Tbolt, razr, rezound, and only had to encrypt with the Rezound. I remember hearing about issues with the added security features that HTC was implementing when I was using custom sense 3.5 Roms on the TBOLT. So my real world experiences would lead me to believe that your wrong on this one. Now to be perfectly clear ALL of my devices required a PIN or Password to access the device after syncing my Corporate Email. But the Rezound had an extra Password when the device was restarted and the sd card loaded up again.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm going to agree to disagree. I have had the same email account, but 3 different devices in a week... Tbolt, razr, rezound, and only had to encrypt with the Rezound. I remember hearing about issues with the added security features that HTC was implementing when I was using custom sense 3.5 Roms on the TBOLT. So my real world experiences would lead me to believe that your wrong on this one. Now to be perfectly clear ALL of my devices required a PIN or Password to access the device after syncing my Corporate Email. But the Rezound had an extra Password when the device was restarted and the sd card loaded up again.

I have not used the encryption on the Rezound, only the Razr.

I had a DX and no issues with one of my corp email accounts. I get the Razr and set it up and it says that the policy from the Exchange Server requires that the internal storage and SD card be encrypted. Of course it does not tell you that it needs a PIN first in order to do that, so it sits there for 10 hours saying it is encrypting, when it is in fact doing nothing because it can't. Pulling the card doesn't help, only deleting the email account or a hard reset gets it back on track. I tried to opt out of it, but all that did was delay for awhile and then the OS kept giving me reminders to encrypt the drive.

On the Razr, encryption limits video capture to 720p and everything is encrypted, and even when you remove the account and encryption, anything that was encrypted stays encrypted. I had my Admin forward all the emails and calendar invites from that server to my other work account which does not require that encryption.

I spent half a day on this with my Razr, trust me, it is there. It all depends on the particular policy of your Exchange Server. Mine required encryption of all phone contents if the device supports it, and it gives them Admin access to the phone to lock it down or wipe your data from remote.

You can disagree all you want, but it is there, it is documented and it happened to me personally.

Since all my email from that account now just gets pushed to the other account, I have not had these issues with the Rezound. But it made a mess of the Razr...

MJKneuro

Reaction score
I've no problems with my exchange email account. Has to be the specific server settings/demands.

Sent from my rezound using DroidForums

jomama313

Reaction score
I have spoken to my colleagues and this is not an issue with their other HTC phones or iPhone so our enterprise accounts are not the only thing to blame. It is only the Rezound so far. Don't know anyone with the Razr in the office. I did do the work around and took a picture before connecting to enterprise but that stopped working. Also connected to enterprise first and it seemed to work for a bit but then stopped. This issue doesn't seem to affect my music. Music moved over fine through VCast. I had to wipe it once for the SD card but it's been fine since. It's just saving photos and downloading and opening internet files. I tried to change settings to save photos to phone memory but will only save to SD card. Would hate to have to downgrade to a thunderbolt or iPhone like my colleagues to have the ability to take pictures and save files. . . .

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have spoken to my colleagues and this is not an issue with their other HTC phones or iPhone so our enterprise accounts are not the only thing to blame. It is only the Rezound so far. Don't know anyone with the Razr in the office. I did do the work around and took a picture before connecting to enterprise but that stopped working. Also connected to enterprise first and it seemed to work for a bit but then stopped. This issue doesn't seem to affect my music. Music moved over fine through VCast. I had to wipe it once for the SD card but it's been fine since. It's just saving photos and downloading and opening internet files. I tried to change settings to save photos to phone memory but will only save to SD card. Would hate to have to downgrade to a thunderbolt or iPhone like my colleagues to have the ability to take pictures and save files. . . .

The iPhones and other HTC phones do not support the new encryption specs, so they won't have the issue. The Rezound and Razr, do.

You can transfer files via email, or through VCast and they will be fine on your PC. But transfer them through the USB cable and they will be encrypted and not readable.

I was able to get around this by explaining what was going on to my LAN Admin, and explaining that most of the reasons for having this kind of phone get wiped out and restricted if I have to encrypt the device. They probably won't make an exception to the policy for you, but they may do what my guy did, which was go into the server's settings and take any incoming emails and forward them automatically to another email address that I could get on my phone that doesn't require encryption. I have two work email accounts on 2 different servers, one required encryption and the other did not, so everything gets forwarded to the second account.

OP
F

fortune730

Reaction score
In order to use the save to phone option in the camera app you need to wipe the phone storage. So the smartest thing to do is set up your gmail after you get the enterprise email set up. I had the Razr, and didn't have to encrypt my sd card like I have to with the rezound.

BillHogue

Reaction score
I'm experiencing the same issue syncing with Exchange 2010 SP1. My Rezound says a policy on the server requires the SD card to be encrypted however the ActiveSync Device Policy on the server does not require encryption (I'm the Exchange admin.) I'm guessing this is a bug?