Screen

greycobalt

Reaction score
I had to replace my X because of this a month or so ago. As for touching it too hard, it doesn't really matter whether it's a soft tap or a medium one, it always happens. The severity of it depends on how hard though.

It's annoying because the distortion effect is something I always associate with damage, since it's the same look you get from pressing an LCD monitor, and that usually ends up damaging things.

And as a new smartphone user, replacing phones isn't as willy-nilly as it used to be. Backing up stuff (in my case, making a nandroid image) is a bit more involved than the old Backup Assistant and then you're done routine.

Does anyone actually know why this happens? Is it a factory defect with some models? Is it a combination of a certain case or screen protector? Does it have to do with the extended battery? I didn't notice it before, and I was using the Otterbox Defender. Now I'm noticing it and I'm using a Zagg shield with the Body Glove snap-on case.

homeriv

Reaction score
I'm no pro, but what I experienced with my X seemed like some sort of defect. And I don't actually think its a defect in the screen itself , but maybe the chasis. I never used a case on the DX I had the problem with. Having recently seen the otterbox defender for the first time I could see how such a rigid case could potentially mask the defect.

With my original DX,the one with these screen issues, I noticed that by holding it in the palm, like with a normal phone grip ( thumb on one side, index and middle finger on the other) even a gentel squeeze casues the chasis and screen to warp. I'm not talking about a whole lot of pressure either, I am very respectful of my expensive electronics.

With something like that otter box case I can see how it would help by reducing and redistibuting any pressure on the chassis.

Anyway, I sure am glad I exchanged mine, and in time for a new replacement, instead of the refurb I would have gotten under warrenty had I waited like 3 days lobger. This one feels like a rock compared to the old one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

DXuser2011

Reaction score
Droid X design flaw screen bubbles

I have had several phones replaced since I purchased the DroidX, I have been having issues with Bubble/defect appearing on my screen. It is always in the same area. The phone has been replaced several times. This is my 5th phone on order now within 7 months.

I was able to determine part of the issue was the extended battery and the hard cases. The extended battery and cover adds a little depth to the phone case. The hard carry case pushes on the back of the droid causing a screen bubble to appear. Sometimes it will go away but it eventually causes permanent damage.

So now I have an extended battery and hard case that I cannot use. All of which were purchased through Verizon sales as recommended additions to the phone. I shared this information with the Verizon service people when my 3rd phone was replaced. No one had
heard of this before and I was the only one. The second tier support person I spoke with last week has never heard of this issue either.

Now my current 4th droid x with the standard battery and cover has developed a bubble too. Other then the screen defects I like the phone, but this has become too much. I want to replace the phone with a different model because I believe there is a design defect that will come back again. It was always indicated to me that I must be doing something wrong or damaging the phone.

I asked for a different phone. I was told my only option was to purchase a new or different phone at full retail cost. I am stunned by the lack of customer service from Verizon. I paid my $200.00 for the Droid X and my monthly service fees to Verizon for a defective product. I have been a Verizon customer for over 10 years.

Second tier support got back to me by email and offered a Phone with a small screen, keyboard and fewer features than the Droid X. Kind of whipped cream on S..T It was presented an act of Verizon kindness that they would go out of their way to do this for me.

I would not keep or purchase another Droid X again. I do like the phone, but the screen defects make it not worth the trouble. I know I am not the only one with the defects. I wonder what Motorola has to say. They did not get back to me.

tha rockstar

Reaction score
Is there anywhere I can get tha glass screen? I dropped my phone and its cracked all over

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

gnojham

Reaction score
guys
developed same problem with my droidx
currently its not my main phone, but the problem bothered me. by nature i try to figure stuff out.
clearly the problem is from pressure applied to the glass from any direction. front, back, sides, whatever. some people criticizing others for pressing too hard, well, pressing hard is not the problem.
after reading the comment about how it works fine with no distortion if you remove the back cover made me think that the battery thickness has increased over time
googling lithium battery thickness increase over time lead me to searching lithium battery swelling over time lead me to believe that the problem is in fact the battery has swollen and is pressuring the screen. the small space for the battery isnt big enough to hold the now swollen battery. with the cover on, the cover forces the battery to press against the back of the screen. removing the cover alleviates the pressure. if i look at my battery from the side, it definitely looks bloated.
i took out my battery and squeezed it with my finger and put it back in. the screen distortion went away.
try it for yourself and see.
removing the cover definitely works as well.
i am going to leave my cover off.
for those who dont feel good about leaving the back cover off, you may consider buying a new battery, or at least heading to your wireless store and have them put a new battery in and see if the problem is solved before buying. amazon has these batteries, allegedly new, for about $5 at the moment