Screen works perfect on boot. No response at all on wake with power button.

F8LWS6

Reaction score
Alright so i'm having an odd problem with my GF's original Droid 1 phone. Upon initial boot up the phone powers up just fine and the screen works perfectly. Does nothing funny at all and every part of the screen respond properly. Then if the screen auto dims or if the power button is pressed the screen will turn off. So then when I hit the power button again the screen fires up and then refuses to respond to anything at all. Also none of the "buttons" at the bottom of the screen respond. The only thing I can do is hold the power button to bring up the power off screen and use the D-pad to navigate to power off. Then when it boots up again the screen is back to working perfect.

A little history on things done to the phone :
Thing was lagging bad and just running bad in general on stock system so I suggested using a custom Rom. I was using Cyanogenmod on my DX and she liked it so I installed it on her phone. I used the root with any OS guide and that went perfect. Installed Rom Manager and used it to flash Clockworkmod Recovery which went fine. I flashed the rom and the phone worked great for about a month until this. Then all of a sudden one day she put the phone down on her desk and went to pick it up then the screen would not respond.

Things i've tried:
I wiped everything that could be wiped. Formatted anything that I could format. SBF'd to every single stock Rom I could find. Reflashed some other custom Roms and every single time the same outcome.

I searched everywhere best I could for days but I can't find anyone else with this problem. Hopefully someone here may be able to find the solution or has heard of this happening before? Sometimes i'm not the best at searching but I did try hard to find an answer.

Thanks in advance for any help....

EDIT: Also sliding the keyboard to wake phone up produces same results.

Last edited:

PhontomF

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is maybe something with the power button is shorting something out in the phone. Have you tried a program like No Lock or widgetlocker lockscreen that will let you turn the screen on with the volume buttons instead of the power button?

Last edited:
OP
F

F8LWS6

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to help. So far the power button works perfectly with getting the screen to come on. It lights up every time i've used it. I even tried using it a bunch of times in recovery and it seems to work with every click.

I'm wondering if there is some system file that isn't being wiped somehow. The only extra thing I noticed was that with stock rom when the finger moves to press the android (After factory reset and it asks for you to pres the droid) it does it real smoothly when the screen is working. When the screen fails the finger moves very slowly and not fluidly at all. But when I hold power to bring up the power off option i can scroll thru the menu quickly without hesitation on the D-pad.

PhontomF

Reaction score
I would definitely lean toward a hardware problem especially since you SBF'd the ROM. What about when you turn the phone back on by sliding open the keyboard? Still doesnt work?

OP
F

F8LWS6

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately same outcome. I don't get what could cause it to fail then work perfect on reboot. I've set it to not turn off screen and its been on for the past 2 hours and working perfectly but I know as soon as I power the screen down it will be dead. Even if it was hardware i'd be willing to fix it if I only knew what it could be. This is a pretty cool phone to have to toss!

OP
F

F8LWS6

Reaction score
Bumping for ideas

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums