Screen Screwed? Time for a replacement?

stinger161

Reaction score
Ok so here's the dealio. Droid x, Rubix 0.3 blurry, 928 Droid Black Glass X theme. Got tied of the annoying pop up asking to install the .340 update, and since 928 is still recovering so no support for his theme I figured screw it, I'll nandroid backup and restore and OTA to .340. And go with a different ROM/theme.

When I backed up with clockwork and rebooted the very bottom of the screen (where on the home screen you have dialer drawer button and contacts?) was blacked out, covering all but the very top of those buttons. I can't do a screenshot because I thought "Hmm. That's weird but nothing a restore won't fix." So I did and upon restart, the same thing. Best way to describe it is like a censor strip over those bottom buttons. Oh, and it remains there if I'm in the app drawer, on the web, using an app, and if I go into landscape mode? Yep, its the right side (or left depending on how you orient it). So I went and OTA'd thinking that should fix it right? Wrong! Still there. Whatever is covered up still works.

So what else can I try to get rid of it. Phones been powered off and on, left off, battery pull, different wallpaper. Or is the screen roached and time for a turn in? And if I do that, I'm not worried about root, that's gone from the update, but how do I get rid of the superuser icon? I know most of the in store techs are about as smart as a shoe but I'd hate to get that 1 guy: "Hey! That's not supposed to be there!" And ask me a whole bunch of questions because I'm sure I'd crack under pressure.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeedR

Reaction score
Seems like you might want to take it to your local verizon. To remove the icon, I would wipe everything and sbf to .340. That's the only way I have found to remove the app unless you go into the system files on the phone and delete it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
S

stinger161

Reaction score
Got it. Had to re-root with z4, then used root manager to get rid of it, then unrooted it. Found there was a batch of defective screens.

OP
S

stinger161

Reaction score
Ok, the su icon wasn't an issue. However when they re booted it at the store clockwork mod console came up, the rep showed it to a tech who said the warranty was void.
Now would anyone know if they would record my info that the warranty is void? If not I'll take it to another store. But I need to get rid of clockwork recovery (which I thought I did). Is flashing an .sbf the only way?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
thats weird because the DX can't have a new restore flashed to it. Its why the bootstrap exists. For me, if I turn my phone off and put it into restore mode, I get the factory restore. I need to bootstrap and then reboot.

OP
S

stinger161

Reaction score
Well every time mine is powered off, when you power back up it goes right to the "clockwork mod recovery" screen. From there I have to select "reboot system". Then it goes to the "m" and droid eye and boots. I need to get the clockwork mod to stop coming up when I power off.

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
Here's my suggestion

Try calling about it where the rep cant actually see the phone. they will put you thorugh a few hop skip and jumps if you know what I mean

then they will most likely offer a replacement phone. They did for me then they overnighted one to me. I then had a prepaid label the box to put the old one in and sent taht back all was good.

I've never brought a rooted phone into the store to let them look at it. Remeber play dumb on the phone let them tell you what to try and all that make sure to keep insisting that the black portion will not go away :)

For those having issues with clockwork doing that go into rom manager and reinstall clockwork recovery. If that dont work you can try using bootstrap. I had to do that when I used other than stock roms to stop that. I prefer the stock rom right now all other's had minor annoyances to me.

Last edited:
OP
S

stinger161

Reaction score
Thanks mad! Worked like a charm. Called the 800 # off the website, the tech just asked me some questions : did I drop it, did it get wet, etc. Didn't have me do anything with the phone. They're overnighting me a new one.

OP
S

stinger161

Reaction score
Gotcha. Like I said I unrooted and got rid of everything. Clockwork mod ended up lingering around. But thanks again, it all worked out.