Screen rotation backwards!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My S4 has started acting very strangely. I first noticed it when viewing a text message, and when I turned the phone sideways (bottom to the right), to reply with the larger keyboard, the screen rotated to landscape...but upside down! I turned the phone back to portrait and it wouldn't revert to normal view. Then I turned it to landscape in the opposite direction (bottom to the left), and again the screen rotated, but upside down again. Each time I tried to turn the phone 180 to view the landscape right-side-up, it would flip completely around and appear upside down again.

Since it wouldn't revert to normal portrait, on a whim I turned the phone upside down (top to bottom), and guess what? It reverted to Portrait...but yeah, upside down. Then when I turned the phone right side up again it remained in that orientation but now of course was right side up.

This is a new problem and I can't recall anything I may have done to cause this, but even stranger is that I can't see where this would be the desired result. It also takes pictures upside down while in landscape, and to view them right side up, I have to first view them upside down and then lay the phone flat and turn it 180. The moment it senses the phone has flipped, it will again turn the image upside down.

I really don't want to do a FDR, but I am sensing that may be my only option. Thoughts? :frown:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Try battery pull first?

Hopefully the accelerometer isn't malfunctioning.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You know...I did a full re-boot, but didn't do a battery pull. I'll try that now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It work?

If not, hopefully the FDR is the remedy. If not, I think the accelerometer is shot, so time to send that back and get a CLNR

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, battery pull was a failed attempt. I will be doing the FDR during the day on Wednesday. :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Pretty sure you did this and it could be a pointless attempt, but have you tried turning off screen rotation, restarting, and then turning it back on?

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, tried that too. No good, but thanks for the brainstorming. ;)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, tried that too. No good, but thanks for the brainstorming. ;)

Get an app, like Google Sky Map if memory serves , that gives the option to recalibrate your accelerometer before doing a total reset. Anything that lets you do figure 8s to reset things will work. Max Measure app might work also
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Interesting... I was told by a Verizon technician to pull the battery, remove the SIM card, power the phone up, then power down and replace and power back up. Amazingly the orientation issue is gone! SO is the Mobile Data not being on at power-up.

I would have never thought that the SIM card had ANYTHING to do with either orientation or Mobile Data not coming on by default.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Who would've thought, you found help from Verizon before DF could:D

That's pretty weird, but whatever works. Kinda reminds me of blowing air into the cartridges of my old SNES. Always wondered if it worked or not, but everytime I did it the game would work

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Who would've thought, you found help from Verizon before DF could:D

That's pretty weird, but whatever works. Kinda reminds me of blowing air into the cartridges of my old SNES. Always wondered if it worked or not, but everytime I did it the game would work

Imagine how stupid I thought the Verizon representative was for even suggesting it could resolve this. :D Not quite as stupid as I felt after seeing it work! :blink:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Maybe their SIM card is more than a SIM card....:blink:

Dale Moyer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I have the same issue with my S4 but following the above procedure of removing the SIM card and power cycling did not help. It initially behaved differently where the camera was stuck in portrait mode, but after a short period of time it returned to upside down mode.:)