Screen resizing - Big dissapointment

lmmohr

Reaction score
My biggest complaint with the Verizon Droid Razr is the screen resizing. My old HTC Incredible resized, then reformatted everything. Don't know why Motorola can't fix this.

The Razr only reformats websites not "optimized for Mobile units" according to Verizon. I still wonder if I've got a bug?

Now with the latest system upgrade, the dark blue on black headlines on the news reader are almost impossible to read, and I can't change by pinching the resulting web page. Page reformatting on "regular" sites works most times when switching portrait to landscape or back, but not until. What's with this?

I have a single eye condition for reading and this simply won't work for me.

Anyone else with this issue?

Maybe I'll have to go back to the HTG One?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My biggest complaint with the Verizon Droid Razr is the screen resizing. My old HTC Incredible resized, then reformatted everything. Don't know why Motorola can't fix this.

The Razr only reformats websites not "optimized for Mobile units" according to Verizon. I still wonder if I've got a bug?

Now with the latest system upgrade, the dark blue on black headlines on the news reader are almost impossible to read, and I can't change by pinching the resulting web page. Page reformatting on "regular" sites works most times when switching portrait to landscape or back, but not until. What's with this?

I am sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your RAZR and screen formatting/resizing. I can make some suggestions for you that may help. First, the news application that comes with the RAZR is not the best. There was a better version on earlier phones and I have a link to one that I think may fit your needs. Try http://android.snkbitten.com/apps/GenieWidget.apk. This is a port from the Droid 1 and I like it better (as does most everyone else I've read), perhaps you will too.

Then as far as the screen resizing, you can pinch to zoom as you wanted, but then you double-tap the screen and it will automatically reformat the page text lines and pics at the size you've zoomed to.

Try it with a web page and let me know if it works for you. ;)

Insidious

Reaction score

The stock Rezound resizes it and then it fits the text to the zoom level so its huge, crisp, and easy to read. Not sure if sense 4.0 on the One X will do it, but I'm guessing it will.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
L

lmmohr

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your RAZR and screen formatting/resizing. I can make some suggestions for you that may help. First, the news application that comes with the RAZR is not the best. There was a better version on earlier phones and I have a link to one that I think may fit your needs. Try http://android.snkbitten.com/apps/GenieWidget.apk. This is a port from the Droid 1 and I like it better (as does most everyone else I've read), perhaps you will too.

Then as far as the screen resizing, you can pinch to zoom as you wanted, but then you double-tap the screen and it will automatically reformat the page text lines and pics at the size you've zoomed to.

Thanks for the response. I couldn't get the .apk file to install. Said it did then can't find on APPS. I'm still stock and not rooted. I'll keep trying.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for the response. I couldn't get the .apk file to install. Said it did then can't find on APPS. I'm still stock and not rooted. I'll keep trying.

It will be in your app tray under the name "News and Weather". You can either run it directly or you can add it as a widget on your home screens.

To install, you need to copy it to your SD card and then simply run it from there with your File Manager. Did you type that link above into your phone's browser? If so, it will be stored in the folder called /mnt/sdcard/download and the file will be geniewidget.apk.

Once you install it and are able to get it running, you will see it first in the weather screen. Swipe left to see the other headings, or simply tap on the top heading to move to that page. Once on that list, tap one of the stories and it will take you to a webpage for that story. Then tap the Menu button at the bottom, then "More", then select "Settings", then at the top choose Text size, and there will allow you some range from Tiny to Huge. Then right below is Default zoom, and in there you can choose from Far to Close.

On most webpages that this will take you to, you can pinch out to zoom in, and then double-tap to re-center and word wrap. I was able to get the text large enough that only one or two words fit on each line, making it visible for me from a distance of about 8 feet away.

Last edited:
OP
L

lmmohr

Reaction score
It will be in your app tray under the name "News and Weather". You can either run it directly or you can add it as a widget on your home screens.

To install, you need to copy it to your SD card and then simply run it from there with your File Manager. Did you type that link above into your phone's browser? If so, it will be stored in the folder called /mnt/sdcard/download and the file will be geniewidget.apk.

Once you install it and are able to get it running, you will see it first in the weather screen. Swipe left to see the other headings, or simply tap on the top heading to move to that page. Once on that list, tap one of the stories and it will take you to a webpage for that story. Then tap the Menu button at the bottom, then "More", then select "Settings", then at the top choose Text size, and there will allow you some range from Tiny to Huge. Then right below is Default zoom, and in there you can choose from Far to Close.

On most webpages that this will take you to, you can pinch out to zoom in, and then double-tap to re-center and word wrap. I was able to get the text large enough that only one or two words fit on each line, making it visible for me from a distance of about 8 feet away.

Funny, it installs and runs but doesn't populate my APPS. I have to go and run the install each time to open it. Don't understand what's happening.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Nice app.

Larry

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Funny, it installs and runs but doesn't populate my APPS. I have to go and run the install each time to open it. Don't understand what's happening.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Nice app.

Larry

OK Larry, you install it, and it runs, you get to see all the weather and news, but you can't find the actual "News and Weather" app in your app tray? Very strange. Try one of two other possibilities;

1) Try to add the Widget. Press and hold on a blank area of one of your home screens (you'll need room 1 icon tall and 4 wide), then choose <Widgets>, then scroll down to "News and Weather" and select. You'll then be prompted for a choice, Weather, News, or News and Weather. Choose News and Weather. See if the widget appears and works as expected.

2) Try adding the icon to the screen as a shortcut. Press and hold on a blank area of one of your home screens (you only need a 1 X 1 icon space), then scroll down to "News and Weather" and select.

If neither of these work for you, the only other possibility is that you don't have "Unknown sources" selected in the <Menu>, <Settings>, <Applications> section. This might explain all the problems. ;)

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max

I always forget the double tap part. Thanks Kat!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I always forget the double tap part. Thanks Kat!

No problem Scotty!

...And by the way, how are the Dilithium Crystals holding up, anyway? Make sure you checked the Warp Drive and also that you've shunted the Deuterium from the main Cryo-Pump to the Auxiliary Tank...we need the Impulse Engines running in case the Warp Drive fails.

;)

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
No problem Scotty!

...And by the way, how are the Dilithium Crystals holding up, anyway? Make sure you checked the Warp Drive and also that you've shunted the Deuterium from the main Cryo-Pump to the Auxiliary Tank...we need the Impulse Engines running in case the Warp Drive fails.

;)

Reminds me of last week's Big Bang Theory. They were paying Star Wars the online game and one of the women called it Star Trek. Big no no! LOL

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Reminds me of last week's Big Bang Theory. They were paying Star Wars the online game and one of the women called it Star Trek. Big no no! LOL

Ouch. Not good! Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
L

lmmohr

Reaction score
OK Larry, you install it, and it runs, you get to see all the weather and news, but you can't find the actual "News and Weather" app in your app tray? Very strange. Try one of two other possibilities;

1) Try to add the Widget. Press and hold on a blank area of one of your home screens (you'll need room 1 icon tall and 4 wide), then choose <Widgets>, then scroll down to "News and Weather" and select. You'll then be prompted for a choice, Weather, News, or News and Weather. Choose News and Weather. See if the widget appears and works as expected.

2) Try adding the icon to the screen as a shortcut. Press and hold on a blank area of one of your home screens (you only need a 1 X 1 icon space), then scroll down to "News and Weather" and select.

If neither of these work for you, the only other possibility is that you don't have "Unknown sources" selected in the <Menu>, <Settings>, <Applications> section. This might explain all the problems. ;)

Well, strangely enough, it's now showing in my apps. I'd went to check on the "Unknown Sources" selection box (it was), and when I went back to Manage Applications, there it was. Also shows in APPS. Strange delay.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Mucho Gracias.

Larry

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, strangely enough, it's now showing in my apps. I'd went to check on the "Unknown Sources" selection box (it was), and when I went back to Manage Applications, there it was. Also shows in APPS. Strange delay.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Mucho Gracias.

Larry

LOL, well I wish I could take credit for that fix but I'm glad it's working just the same. Glad you like the other app, most people do!

Cheers!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk