Some Questions

AndroidFan2

Reaction score
First off, I am new to this forum and this is my first post, so hello to all! Now down to business. I currently have a DROID X2 and can't stand it. The screen on it is ridiculously ugly and it can't play music without stuttering and skipping to save its life. I've had it since it was first released and have done everything imaginable to try to fix it. I've rooted it, tried all of the ROMs available, messed around with the build prop....you name it, I've done it. Nothing fixes the poor music quality and I obviously can't fix the screen on it, so I've decided that it is time to move on. I have come across both a Motorola DROID Razr that is supposed to be in like new condition that he just activated a few weeks ago and a Galaxy Nexus which is also in near perfect condition. Both guys want $375 for them. I am stuck on which to get. I have read all of the reviews and seen all of the videos and I think I'm leaning towards the Nexus because of its big, beautiful screen and some of the cool features that come with 4.0. Then again, I constantly see people complaining about random reboots, spotty signal quality and poor battery life. I never hear or see any of those complaints from Razr owners. In fact, I see former Nexus owners saying that they swapped to the Razr and have never looked back. I love the design of the Razr, but I can't help be a little weary of buying another Motorola phone after being let down as much as I have been with this DROID X2. Maybe you guys can help me decide which to get....

On a side not:
As I said previously, I currently have a DROID X2. I also still have an unlimited data contract with Verizon. No one in my family has a 4G phone though, so I'm wondering if I can just buy a 4G phone after having a 3G phone which still has a year on its contract left and just activate and use it with no problem.

SANhacker

Reaction score
I have the RAZR and love it. It sounds to me like you would be happier with the Nexus.
This is based on your disdain for Motorola phones.
Best of luck.

OP
A

AndroidFan2

Reaction score
It's not that I don't like Motorola phones, in fact, I love the build quality they offer. It just seems like I chose a dud from them. I think the Razr looks like a great phone, but I just need to hear some opinions from the people that own them. Obviously you like yours, so I doubt you've had any problems with it. How is the dev community for the Razr? I haven't sat down to look yet, but would imagine it is a pretty well supported device.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
It's not that I don't like Motorola phones, in fact, I love the build quality they offer. It just seems like I chose a dud from them. I think the Razr looks like a great phone, but I just need to hear some opinions from the people that own them. Obviously you like yours, so I doubt you've had any problems with it. How is the dev community for the Razr? I haven't sat down to look yet, but would imagine it is a pretty well supported device.
Both are great phones. I played with the Nexus for about an hour right after it was released...I already had my Razr. I can honestly say that if I had been given the option to buy either one at the time I got my Razr I would have selected the Razr for several reasons. The build quality of the Razr is much better than the Nexus...it just has a more quality feel to it. I know the specs for the Nexus display is better than the Razr, but I like the display on the Razr better. Motorola can't be beat for the radios and antenna system and that translates to better reception and data reliability. As far as dev community, go to DroidRzr.com and you'll find that there is quite a bit of dev work being done for the Razr in terms of ROMs and themes. Both phones are good, but I don't think you'll be unhappy with the Razr if that is how you go.

OP
A

AndroidFan2

Reaction score
Both are great phones. I played with the Nexus for about an hour right after it was released...I already had my Razr. I can honestly say that if I had been given the option to buy either one at the time I got my Razr I would have selected the Razr for several reasons. The build quality of the Razr is much better than the Nexus...it just has a more quality feel to it. I know the specs for the Nexus display is better than the Razr, but I like the display on the Razr better. Motorola can't be beat for the radios and antenna system and that translates to better reception and data reliability. As far as dev community, go to DroidRzr.com and you'll find that there is quite a bit of dev work being done for the Razr in terms of ROMs and themes. Both phones are good, but I don't think you'll be unhappy with the Razr if that is how you go.

Very good points! Definitely gives me some things to think about. Thanks for the reply!!!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Very good points! Definitely gives me some things to think about. Thanks for the reply!!!
No problem. Something I didn't mention. ICS is coming to the Razr in a few months so what ever advantage/preference ICS provides you now will be there for you when it is released for the Razr. I go "browse" the Nexus forum occasionally and I see what you see...there seems to be more connectivity problems with Nexus than with the Razr. That probably is related to the radio/antenna difference between the two phones as I mentioned earlier. Anyway...good luck on your decision.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Welcome to the forum :)

I think jpcalhoun covered most the basic technical info. When it comes to deciding between the 2 phones, I feel you are going to get a very even split in judgments. Some people love Moto and will back them come hell or high water, other people hate them and will stand firm against them. Same is going to be said about the Nexus, some love them some don't.

I do think they are both great phones each have pros and cons. Have you gone to the store and played with them? I personally think playing with the phones can make all the difference in the world on deciding which to get.

On a side note... My husband uses his phone 90% for music. 90 min drive to work, 9 hours of work and back home. I have not heard him complain once about the quality since he has had the Razr Maxx, he did complain some about the D2. He had me root the D2, he tried different players he went thru all the steps (errr had me go through them all) and was never really completely satisfied. Since the Maxx, he found a player he likes and hasn't had any issues.

Good Luck :)

OP
A

AndroidFan2

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

I think jpcalhoun covered most the basic technical info. When it comes to deciding between the 2 phones, I feel you are going to get a very even split in judgments. Some people love Moto and will back them come hell or high water, other people hate them and will stand firm against them. Same is going to be said about the Nexus, some love them some don't.

I do think they are both great phones each have pros and cons. Have you gone to the store and played with them? I personally think playing with the phones can make all the difference in the world on deciding which to get.

On a side note... My husband uses his phone 90% for music. 90 min drive to work, 9 hours of work and back home. I have not heard him complain once about the quality since he has had the Razr Maxx, he did complain some about the D2. He had me root the D2, he tried different players he went thru all the steps (errr had me go through them all) and was never really completely satisfied. Since the Maxx, he found a player he likes and hasn't had any issues.

Good Luck :)

Yes, I have been to the store and played with both for about 30 minutes each. Both impressed me very much, but I was a little more impressed with the Nexus to be honest. It may just come down to which guy out of the two I can talk down to the lowest price. I am however leaning towards the Razr at the moment.

forumjunkie44

Reaction score
I have a RAZR and the only real issue that I have is that I wish I could view pages in desktop mode. My HTC had a mobile / desktop view option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I have a RAZR and the only real issue that I have is that I wish I could view pages in desktop mode. My HTC had a mobile / desktop view option.

Use dolphin browser.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
A

AndroidFan2

Reaction score
I was browsing around looking at some videos of both and it just hit me, the Razr doesn't have a removable battery. Of course, I already new that, but it did make me wonder how do you reboot your phone it's frozen or something similar?

dbow27

Reaction score
Volume down and power will hard reset

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I was browsing around looking at some videos of both and it just hit me, the Razr doesn't have a removable battery. Of course, I already new that, but it did make me wonder how do you reboot your phone it's frozen or something similar?

Simple, just hold power and volume down for 10 seconds or so.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Zandar

Reaction score
This is how I see it:

RAZR
Pros - Best build quality, best radios, water resistant, sexy form factor
Cons - Locked bootloader (technically, encrypted bootloader signature)
This is the device you want if reliability and consistent signal quality is your thing, as well as durability (kevlar + nano coating is a really formidable bit of awesome). Not so good for hacking/ROMing/etc.

GNex
Pros - Vanilla Android, completely unlockable, ICS right now
Cons - Poor radio quality, poor build quality
This is not to say the quality of the GNex is poor; only that it is inferior to the RAZR. If you love having the latest/greatest OS (with the bugs, mind) and a surfeit of ROMs to choose from, this is the only device you ought to be looking at; second to none in that respect. Expect a lot of "geek cred" with this bad boy.

Some things of note:
Screen - The GNex has the better screen for sure, but you will not notice it in actual usage (both are sAMOLED, which is the important part).
ROMs - I thought I would really hate the dearth of ROMs for the RAZR. I was a ROM junkie on my OG Droid, and I hated the lack of development for my Streak 7. With the RAZR, though, it's set up so nicely out of the box that I haven't even rooted it. I feel no need to overclock or ROM this thing. With GO Launcher themed and FoxFi, I just don't miss anything from the ROM community.
Music - This seems to be an issue for you. All I can say is I've had zero issues with my RAZR other than the headphone jack being a little finicky with some plugs. For most (and for bluetooth, though that never sounds as good) it's fine.
Extras - The GNex has a removable battery where the RAZR's is not user accessible, and the RAZR has a MicroSD slot whereas the GNex has only internal memory. Don't know if either matters to you, but if one does it makes the choice much clearer.
Maxx - If you can get one for a decent price (good luck), the crazy battery life with the still-thinner-than-stock-GNex is pretty awesome. Not quite as sexy-svelte as the RAZR non-Maxx, but it's pretty darned close.