Things I hate about my Droid X

RickyD526

Reaction score
So I got my Droid X a few months ago (Aug '10), thinking there would be a world of functionality waiting to open up to me by getting away from Apple and my 3G iPhone. Instead, I find myself considering a switchback because my DX annoys me more than my locked down iPhone ever did.

The following is a rant about all the things that have annoyed me about my Droid X. Some are not direct Android or DX problems, but all are something that makes me want to switch back. I will try to update if anything gets fixed (software updates, new solutions), but until then...

1) Bloatware - I hate it. I understand that all I have to do is root the phone and delete a few things. But I am a busy person and dont have the time to keep up with new ROMs and pulling crap off my phone because the big guys make an extra buck by putting it there. Is my $150/mo not enough? Good lord.

2) Contacts pictures will not update - WTF? I use FB and all I want is for my contacts pictures to A) update with FB or B) keep the picture I give them if I update it manually. Give me a contact specific setting somewhere to select the photos. Instead a couple friends have some dumbass pic that happened to be up the day I synced my FB contacts, and I cant change them without unlinking and relinking their accounts, or using my own pic for everybody. Stupid.

3) FB for Droid Sucks - I realize this is not a Droid X issue, nor something google/Moto/Verizon have any control over. But seriously. The iPhone app was great (and getting better with every update). All I get with the Droid is more frustration about what it doesnt do (or does wrong) (pictures post sideways, no tags from my phone, notifications link to web pages instead of staying in app, etc). Seems FB spent all its time/money on that stupid movie instead of updating my DX.

4) Multi-touch - The stock browser will let me shrink webpages, but not the photos on them. Where is my touch-zoom when viewing gmail? Iphone never had a problem rendering web pages. When I double tap to zoom, I want the entire page to resize, and the column to snap to my screen size. Both landscape and portrait. No scrolling sideways to read the last two words in every sentence.

5) Gmail - I hate that my emails will only shrink as far as to default me having to hold the phone landscape. Then when I hold it sideways, the notifications bar plus email sender contact bar at the top of the screen and delete/archive/next buttons at the bottom take up more than half the screen. How am I supposed to read the email if I cant see it? Give me options!! resize the buttons! reduce the sender info tag. Anything....

6) Gmail more - Show Pictures. I understand this is security-minded. But I only alllow emails if I trust my contacts, so now I want an option to show pictures by default.

7) lack of dedicated Music Support program - I have a rather large collection I cannot keep all on my phone. I thought Itunes sucked, but am now realizing no one provides better auto-syncing functionality (double twist, winamp). I mean geez how simple is it to copy the exe, add some skins/functionality and call it DroidTunes? I still use my IPhone as a touch Mp3 player because of:

8) Smart playlists - My ITunes playlists update based on what I listened to last and have not listened to lately. or I can sync songs only 2 stars or better. All I do is connect to my computer and *ding* automatic update. No buttons, dragging and dropping, or file selecting involved.

and 9) podcast support - Itunes syncs my podcsasts to/from my computer and allows me to rate them and keep them on my computer for a re-listen If I liked it, which I can sync by using my (#8) smart playlists.

and 10) 2x Podcasts - My Iphone also allows me to listen to podcasts in 2x (double Speed). All the news of the day with only half the waste of my life. Simple genius that google and the Android app makers do not seem to possess. I mean I used to have a tape recorder (back in the early 90s) that let me playback in double speed. Why not my Android phone?

If anyone reading this knows a fix or setting or app that I missed somewhere, I am sure to be greatful to have one less annoyance in my life by you pointing me at a solution.

Remember Google/ Motorola/ Verizon, with great power comes great responsibility. Make me happy.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1) if you root, you don't have to load a rom, you root once and leave it at that... only time it'll come into play is around update time... cross that bridge when you get there.

2) got me here, i refuse to let FB sync to my contacts so I have no experience with this.

3) Yes it does... but it's improving. This is a growing pain of Android... as it continues on I think we'll see our FB app catch up. (we just had a good update a few days ago, making it more an APP and less a gateway to the website)

4) Double tap resizes to the screen size for me. Check in your browser settings > auto-fit pages (make sure it's enabled!)

5) Kinda agree with you here... but I don't mind personally.

6) I agree.

7) Not sure what the complaint is here. All my music plays fine, it's as easy as drag and drop. (check out PowerAMP, for a new media player) There is an app called SubSonic, it will allow you to stream your entire PC's music collection to your phone, without having to store the music on your phone. Some setup involved, but well worth it.

8) I'm not sure what you can use in place of this... personally I hate having my music chosen for me, I'll do the selecting myself... but I can understand your desire here....

9) = 10) I don't listen to podcasts so I have nothing to provide here.

the5barrons

Reaction score
Errrr....uh.

Well, yes the fb app and failure to update smoothly and automatically is a PITA. Till it gets better...

The contact pics problem bugs me also, trying a few things here and there, but it seems that its just another one if the few and small issues I have with it.

Rooting is just access to user permissions. Themeing, deodex, and rom application is totally beyond the root process. I run the stock rom...runs fine.

Music player? Find one that works for you. Personally...the stock one was fine till I had done lock up issues. Replaced it with Mixzing...I'm pleased.

If these issues you have...fb, contacts, music player, lack of root knowledge, are enough to make you want to go back to Iphone, I'm sorry you feel that way. Nothing is perfect, apple...rim...android...all works in progress, and getting better all the time. The big difference is I can root and make a choice still in what is on or off of my dx.

Edit...sorry...missed some. Podcasts...uhh...can't help you there. And the gmail/web thing...i don't seem to have the same issues.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP, you had 30 days to discover what the phone can do and can't do. If you are that unhappy with it, why didn't you just return the phone and go back to iPhone?

musicman

Reaction score
I got a Droid X around the same time. However, I love mine. I used to always want an iphone and couldn't wait until it came to verizon. Now that it appears to be coming I have no desire to get it. The things that are driving you crazy I haven't even thought about or don't have that problem. I think you just got used to some of the things the iphone offers. Since I've gotten used to android I couldn't stand not having my widgets, not being able to customize every aspect of my phone, superior multitasking, and many other things android does much better than the iphone. Don't get me wrong, I love apple products (I'm using my macbook right now), but I don't think apple is superior in the mobile phone area. They may be more advanced in certain areas, mainly due to being around for a while longer, but I love the openness of android. The iphone may be the phone for you. It's all personal preference anyway.

As far as fixes or apps to help, here are a couple that may.

1) isyncr-allows you to sync only the playlists you want from itunes and is very simple.

2) K9 email-this will allow you to change several default settings for your email including vibration notification patterns and showing pics by default.

Most of the other things you pointed out are not problems on my phone. Hang in there and try a few more apps. If you still don't like it the iphone is still waiting for you.

God Bless

Bxrider117

Reaction score
To the OP'

I can understand how the Android experience can be different than the iPhone. I am sure that some Blackberry users have gone through similar frustrations with switching to a better OS. I am not the type of person to tell you to switch back to what you prefer. However, if I purchased any item and there were more than a few things with it that left me unsatisfied with my purchase then I would have returned it to wait for something else.

I am a DX user an have been with an Android phone for almost a year (Eris, D1 and now DX) and they kill BB. I never had an iPhone, but I am not interested in a phone were I have to purchase everything from one company (apple).

With that said, Android functioning phones are coming out at a rate of at least 2-3 per month and each carrier has a least a new phone every month. Maybe you may want to look into purchasing another Android phone on Verizon(Droid 2 Global, Droid Pro or Samsung Fascinate). I am sure that you could get rid of your DX on eBay or Craigslist and get at least $500 for it. Maybe one of those phones will offer you a better user experience.

donballz

Reaction score
Dude! You're making us look bad! The iphone guys are here!

These are the jokes, be here all week, tip your waitress

the5barrons

Reaction score
Dude! You're making us look bad! The iphone guys are here!

These are the jokes, be here all week, tip your waitress

Yeah, kind of figured....

Looking at some of these posts...is like looking at the comments on an app I'm about to DL. You just have to decipher which ones are complete b.s. due to the "competition" factor.

Still benefit of the doubt goes to the OP.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
To the OP, sorry your having so many issues with your Droid. But like a few others have said, you had 30 days to see what your phone could or couldn't do for you.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
8) MissingSync will restore most of your iTunes syncing ability. The app is free but you do have to pay for the computer side client.

5 & 6) K-9 mail is an excellent replacement for the stock mail clients. And it's free.

4) There are much better browsers out there than the stock one. Dolphin is very good. This is one of the features where Android shines. If you don't like the default apps you can not only get different ones, you can make it them defaults.

3) There are several third party apps for Facebook. Most are free. Try a few and see if you like them better. I'm using FBook for FaceBook. It's OK.

Comment: FaceBook didn't make or authorize the movie. As I understand it they weren't too pleased when they heard it was coming out.

2) Yes, that is annoying.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I`ll add my complaint with my X...

It has a locked bootloader...which keeps me away from slapping on a different ROM...for now. Back on my old HTC Touch, I wasnt too scared to swap out the factory ROM ...after about 2 months of owning the phone because I knew I ould just flash back to the stock if things went sideways. Not so easy with the DX...and for now I will wait until it does get a tad bit either easier or more foolproof..

Other than that, I have no real "issues" or complaints with my X...it is one hell of a phone! Call clarity is awesome, signal retention is outstanding, storage capacity is top notch and upgradable..I could go on and on.

I also have an iPod Touch, and having usd it since Christmas, I can agree that the iOS to Android OS does indeed take some time to get used to. But, so far I have not seen anything that the iPhone offers that would make me swap from the DX to the iPhone if and when it does come to Verizon...cause I damn sure wouldnt go back to AT&T for love or money...

Sorry you are having so many issues OP...could be worse though...

chefb

Reaction score
To the op......nothing is perfect....maybe you should go back to the original flip phone our maybe a nice rotery phone.:icon_ banana:

Googleaddict

Reaction score
OP, sounds like you like the features of the iPhone like iTunes and the music player it has...if you miss those features so much why dont you go back to the iPhone??

Guitar4Him

Reaction score
Don't you just love posters who do major *****ing and have a post count of 2....:icon_evil: