Screen Protectors Help Please!

MotoMike

Reaction score
Help!!! What is a good/great, easy to apply, Motorola Droid A855 Screen Protector. I started with the cut to size Fellowes screen protector but my car keys did a number on that pretty quick. So i tried the Skinomi. I was very careful with installation but still wound up with debris under the skin and at $10 bucks a pop and a 24 hour cure time it just doesn't seem worth it. So any Help, Advise, Months of Droid Sage Wisdom would be greatly appreciated regarding some tried and true Screen Protectors.

Thanks Gang and Happy Motoing.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Get the Steinheil Crystal!!! I have tried them all and it is the best!!! I am super particular with my phones and I have mine on and you can't even tell. No bubles or debris at all. Ebay has em for $10.99 but there are 2 per pack!

droijo

Reaction score
If I remembered correctly, the droid was recommended to not have screen protectors put on.

Aside from that, I think the only best way to put on a screen protector is like putting on vinyl. Water and a little bit of soap. I've done this in the past to all my previous phones and they all turn out perfect with no bubbles whatsoever. You just got to do it in a clean area with not a lot of traffic to lessen dust (i.e. bathroom).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Read the various screen protector threads and see if any of the descriptions sound like what you're looking for.

I started with the cut to size Fellowes screen protector but my car keys did a number on that pretty quick.
You do realize that screen protector is a sacrificial part, right? It scratches so your screen doesn't.

Get the Steinheil Crystal!!!
I'd suggest the Steinheil Crystal if you're looking to get something as close to bare glass as possible (in look and feel). If smudges or privacy are a concern you might want to look elsewhere. Steinheil also has an anti-fingerprint protector but I have no experience with it. However, as I mentioned, there are threads you can use to read up on it.

If I remembered correctly, the droid was recommended to not have screen protectors put on.
It's subjective judgment call. I say keep in mind that Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant but it is not unscratchable (search).

Aside from that, I think the only best way to put on a screen protector is like putting on vinyl. Water and a little bit of soap. I've done this in the past to all my previous phones and they all turn out perfect with no bubbles whatsoever.
Depends on the screen protector. I prefer the Steinheil Crystal. It does not use any liquid for application and has no bubbles. Again, best is always subjective.

Last edited:

mitchb2

Reaction score
Steinheil is $11 and free shipping at Wireless Rage. I just ordered mine. Been waiting for someone to have free shipping on it.

OP
M

MotoMike

Reaction score
screen protector revisit

Well the Skinomi is on and with one minor flaw looks pretty good but I definitely should have looked here first for advice. The Crystal sound awesome and will definately be my next purchase. Im a little unclear to the soap and water method to applying the screen protector so if anyone could clarify that would be appreciated.

@takeshi - I know the screen protectors are sacrifical but I don't want to spend $10 a week on them either - other than that I agree with you and the majority of members on here agree to err on the side of caution and get the screen protector over just relying on the gorilla glass

the steinheil crystal seems to be a definate favorite on the forum. I appreciate all the help.

nubby

Reaction score
The soap and water mixture is how the put window tint on cars. In a spray bottle 1 drop of soap in the water. Spray the surface lightly and use a flat object to smooth out the extra water. Ta da. No bubbles. (Think of the cars you have seen that look like a bunch of fish swimming around on the back window, that was not the correct method.)

OP
M

MotoMike

Reaction score
@ baniels

What I meant by $10 a week is I had the Fellowes cut to fit screen protector on my phone for only about a week before the keys in my pocket marked up the screen. I try and seperate my phone from everything but I want to know I don't have to replace my screen protector everytime something brushes up against it. So for that matter I would not recommend the Fellowes cut to fit screen protectors.