screen not working right with touch

KelleyElston

Reaction score
This Droid 2 has always worked great, and then the other day the screen wouldn't work right when I would touch an application with my finger. It's like the screen is all screwy when it comes to responding to touch commands. It will work great for a couple of minutes and then it won't do anything right. It won't type correctly on the screen keys and even acts up on the physical keys also. What to do?

MrCatPC

Reaction score
clarification and sympathy

This Droid 2 has always worked great, and then the other day the screen wouldn't work right when I would touch an application with my finger. It's like the screen is all screwy when it comes to responding to touch commands. It will work great for a couple of minutes and then it won't do anything right. It won't type correctly on the screen keys and even acts up on the physical keys also. What to do?

When you say "and then it won't do anything right," do you mean any of the following, like what's happening to my Droid 2 R2-D2 Edition (see if this matches your definition of "screwy")?
  • Intermittently, upon waking the phone or just leaving it sit idle, plugged to cradle, USB charger, wall charger, car charger, car dock, or even unplugged from everything, with the battery completely full (or whatever "100% charged" actually means based on battery's age) or discharged battery at any power level... Each/Any of the following:
  • RANDOM home screen scrolling, it's on the middle screen, no now the left, no now the 2nd from the right, now screen 2, now back to center, now halfway between two home screens and just twitching...
  • I touched Call History/Dialer/Contacts, but now it's automatically opening a contact and dialing a fax number without me touching anything after the initial home screen icon... and it won't react to me touching the HANG UP onscreen button to end this fax call I never wanted to make in the first place...
  • I receive text message, and the phone actually allows me to pull down the notifications bar, open the message thread, and THEN it starts randomly selecting parts of the conversation, asking if I want to OPEN/DELETE the message, typing jujjujkjoijjujjhjkk lkjlkjkj k (nonsense characters and then backing out to the threads list to automatically select any other contact's conversation near the top of the list, and mucking things up for me there, too... PLEASE DON'T SEND THIS GARBAGE OUT AND MAKE SOMEONE THINK I'M HAVING A STROKE OR HEART ATTACK, MR. SMARTPHONE!!!)...
  • I open Calculator app (wow it actually let me do that, this time at least?) but now it's starting to quickly type its own spooky math: 3336999666 6666666 (for the love of everything, please stop typing 666!)...
  • I get different fantastic weirdness with R2D2 operating himself based on portrait/landscape mode, keyboard slider open/closed, phone on dock (car or multimedia mode)...
AS far as your original question, "What to do?"
  • I've tried a factory reload, all my stuff is backed up, so why not?
  • I've tried cooling my phone down in a small lunchbox with icepacks & isolating it from moisture. It's been exceptionally hot after all this past week when things started to get weird one afternoon as I suddenly watched R2D2 twitch out on his charging dock.
  • I've tried pulling the battery for an hour, recharging with the phone turned off, & deep cycling the battery.
  • I've tried shaking the phone to see if something is wonky with the accelerometer (sp?). Whereupon I think there's something very tiny loose inside there, behind some deep panel I really don't want to disassemble. I tried shaking the phone carefully with my fingers against any of the moveable buttons which might otherwise rattle, too...
  • I have not run a full SBF re-flash of the operating system (but I'm about to do that next).
  • I have not called Verizon or Asurion about tech support or replacement (but that's next-next).
  • I have not said all the magic words.
If I do stumble upon a solution, I'll share it here for sure. Good luck!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, odds are that it's just something that you'll have to deal with as long as you run the fully stock hardware. I have no idea exactly what it is but something in Verizon's tweaks makes for a bit of instability. As I said in another thread the only fix that I know if is to switch to a custom Rom. Wiping the cache seems to be a temporary fix though so give that a go.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Yeah, odds are that it's just something that you'll have to deal with as long as you run the fully stock hardware. I have no idea exactly what it is but something in Verizon's tweaks makes for a bit of instability. As I said in another thread the only fix that I know if is to switch to a custom Rom. Wiping the cache seems to be a temporary fix though so give that a go.

Sorry to hijack this thread, KelleyElston (OP), I hadn't thought of that: wiping out the cache is a general good troubleshooting step...

By the way, WELCOME KELLEYELSTON! THAT was your first post up there, wasn't it?!
:welcome:

@ MissionImprobable: Since I've already done a standard reset, wiping out all personal data, would that have taken care of the cache at the same time (I'm confusing myself as I dive deeper down this rabbit hole)? I'm gearing up for a full stock SBF reflash, which is not a custom ROM, I know, but since it's already locked into the .622 firmware as you may know R2D2 is at point of no return for anti-rootability and anti-boot/rom-customization for the forseeable future. If I do replace this device with a *new* one in factory-fresh box from eBay (including the original Froyo 2.2 OS), I will definitely be rooting (wow do I miss my root access) & experimenting with custom ROMs before allowing any OTA updates to drop in from VZW.

(((added some vowels, bought a pair of E's for KelleyElston since I misspelled with that welcome note, sorry!))) <-- parentheses (really)

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a Factory Reset clears cache and data. I did the same as you when I was on stock firmware in an attempt to clear up the random resets and the issues with the screen acting up when plugged into the charger. It would help temporarily but all the issues never ended completely until I went to MIUI.

OP
K

KelleyElston

Reaction score
I have dumped the card and phones data and started fresh at least 6 times now with nothing good to report. The phone did act perfect for a couple of days and then was worse than ever. Now the stupid moron idiot retarted stupid jerk, stupid, phone won't stop taking pictures and vibrating continuously. No joke. I believe the phone is under waranty still. I thought that it might have been one of the downloads, but they have all been the approved ones.
:mad:

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Ditto to MissionImprobable's suggestion, with a caveat (see below). For the record, SBF re-flash of the .622 Andriod 2.3.4 stock VZW build on my R2D2 produced interesting results, but not a full resolution for my buggy touchscreen... It works intermittently now, but usually just has a conniption (therefore the hardware is toast).

I've installed a workaround (I will explain how I did it toward the end of this post) Android app called "Argotronic Lock Screen / Disable Touch," which at least allows me to do just that: disable the touch input feature on R2D2's screen. I have it set to enable/disable this toggle upon shaking the phone. Unfortunately it also re-enables the touchscreen after the screen times out (once battery saver kicks in) and when calls are received, and since my screen begins "touching itself" (how icky does that sound?? oops, am I disturbing you, Artoo? Nobody wants to see that!!!), it means that when my phone buzzes or rings, it wakes up the screen, potentially unlocks itself by "touch" and begins performing unapproved actions, or if the screen is on at the point R2D2 is in my hip holster case, simply walking can "shake" the screen enough to re-enable the touchscreen to begin the whole circus again. I repeat: What fun!

The shorter story: YES I will be replacing my phone, but cannot afford to pay the Asurion deductible ($99) at the present. So instead, I'm seriously considering waiting until my upgrade discount from VZW (subsidized upgrade price) is available in October, weighing the cost of "discounted upgrade price" vs knowledge that I would lose my current unlimited data plan by gaining a lower price on a Droid 4 at that time, or just bypassing VZW to snag a replacement phone (new, used, or refurbished) on eBay. I'm trying to be sensible about this because after all, R2D2 was a FREE PHONE at the time I adopted him, but I've become so dependent on this battle-worn device for business, entertainment, etc. Just stuck for now with his bad behavior.
Latest frustrating example was taking photos of my son at the big Air Show yesterday, camera app decided to start applying effects, like solarizing just before I click the camera button, or tinting everything green (coincidentally the air field lawn and most of the Army National Guard vehicles were of course already green, so great sense of humor there, Artoo!). I could easily shake the phone each time I woke the screen from standby, using this new app to disable the touchscreen at that point, but some features are touchscreen dependent, so adjusting back to "normal" effect required wrestling the possessed touchscreen for control. Bah!
So, to install that app (or any other, really), log into Google Play from a computer, using your Google/Gmail credentials from the phone (which if you've wiped and reloaded R2D2, you probably have that username and password memorized, right?). From the web browser version of Google Play, you can use my link (above) or search for "touch screen disable" in the market, locate the app and choose INSTALL agreeing to the various permissions and prompts at your discretion. This is just one option, but if you choose to install this way, it will push the app to your device without you having to operate the phone's touchscreen. Now, once it's installed (or anything like it), you'll have to access the app from the device itself to first-time enable it or change its features. I found with gritted teeth and squinting one eye, I could manage to fight the screen just long enough to use the keyboard slider to arrow down to "shake to enable" and exit the settings screen, shake the phone, then go back into the app (arrows and OK button, physical keyboard again), then finally scroll the other settings and preferences. Your mileage will almost certainly vary.

I'm willing to be extra patient with this madness because it's not in my budget to buy a new phone, nor pay the deductible to get a refurbished version from Asurion (especially knowing that +$60 gets me a NEW unopened R2D2 on eBay right now, which *ahem* nudge to MissionImprobable here, would also mean it has the ORIGINAL shipped Android 2.2 OS, completely corruptible for root and alterna-ROM goodness, who wants a refurbished R2D2 already arriving with 622 locked down firmware & bootloader, really?:blink:STOP THE PRESSES, LOOKS LIKE 622 ROOT IS NOW POSSIBLE?? Thank you in advance to jedifire11 if that tip works out!)...

Now I WOULD like to call Asurion and have a Droid 4 sent to me as replacement for this R2D2, whether the D4 is refurbished or not I probably wouldn't care, but realistically I know that won't happen. Most recent "replaced R2D2" post I read (on Official R2-D2 Owner's Thread) said that owner received a refurbished R2-D2 with 622 already loaded on it (no thank you!). I would also like to call GM and have them swap my Chevy 2006 HHR for any Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook, or GMC Acadia with 3-row seating and AWD, but that's equally unrealistic.

And so I digress and wait it out as long as I can manage this workaround and not throw artoo "accidentally" while shaking to disable the touchscreen. *sigh*

PS. KelleyElston: if you DO get anything other than an R2-D2 from Asurion, please let us know! :)K ... Also just realized I misspelled you when I said "Welcome" so I'll go edit that now :biggrin:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
$60 for a new-in-box device is pretty good. I was going to have to buy something myself but I decided to check and be sure and turns out I had opted for full replacement coverage before so I got a refurb at no charge. Root on .621 was a PITB, but I survived.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
MissionImprobable said:
$60 for a new-in-box device is pretty good. I was going to have to buy something myself but I decided to check and be sure and turns out I had opted for full replacement coverage before so I got a refurb at no charge. Root on .621 was a PITB, but I survived.

That's $100 for Asurion's refurb deductible or additional $60 new eBay boxed R2-D2, meaning $160 new "Buy It Now" price (but not flat $60 for new R2), sorry to confuse...

I checked Asurion's claim feature online against my VZW line # & that's where I see $99 deductible, haven't called them up because I don't want to be locked into a $100 refurb device if $160 would buy a new one... and if I'm willing to wait it out til that's feasible for my budget, maybe I could win bidding on a Droid 4 package (or will a scarcely whispered rumor of Droid 4 HD/Maxx or Droid 5 be released this autumn?). Wish $400+ was in my pocket & not already going toward other bills or maybe I'd have scooped the deal I was watching on eBay a few weeks ago: D4 with 2 home docks, 1 nav dock, screen protectors, rapid car charger & a 16GB mSDHC (that's equivalent in accessories to what I've invested in R2D2 as my biz phone). *sigh* money. Back to work :)K

BTW, *MissionImprobable*: thanks for the feedback on various threads. I hope I've been helpful to others, too, but mainly we know I just talk too much q:K

Ooh, and did I mention I just finished ROOT with D2 621 fixed SBF per the recent instructions. So I'm tapping this reply in that mode while battery charges to allow safe SBF of R2D2 622 & see if OTA RootKeeper will retain SU & root access. Good times. Screen still a lost cause so unless a calibration app can awaken the dead/wonky regions of the capacitive touch digitizer, I'd say next step is parts or whole device replacement. Did I say good times? Yeah...

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I used the .621 root tool and flashed MIUI V4 back pretty much immediately after I got the phone. So long as I don't end up with another hardware failure I should be golden until something that piques my interest comes out. Crazy how much new devices still cost even afther they're "old" technology.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Yeah, I used the .621 root tool and flashed MIUI V4 back pretty much immediately after I got the phone. So long as I don't end up with another hardware failure I should be golden until something that piques my interest comes out. Crazy how much new devices still cost even afther they're "old" technology.

@ MissionImprobable: Agreed, cost-prohibitive for replacement device & I am not keen on $99 paid to Asurion if my R2-D2 could be rehabilitated less expensively, although I have no deep bias against refurbished devices. Oddly I've been running rooted 621 for a couple days now with no further "don't look now but my screen is touching itself" specific issues, but *dead* (numb) areas of the touch screen remain. None of those regions which have lost response to touch input show any signs of magical rejuvenation so far. So I chalk the prior "possessed" behavior up to either software glitch(es) or that the hardware/electrical components have finally settled (or entirely given up on) bad/false input. I suppose long-term heat could cause certain ICs to quit & therefore be ignored by digitizer. Like the surgery that can be done to fry a nerve causing irregular heartbeat (see August 2001 general interest story "Doctors Fried My Heart," Readers Digest, p134). I don't hope to regain full touch screen functionality on this hardware.

If I put in any replacement parts, I'll take pics of the hardware as I go & link back to this thread, at least as a mention of alternatives to replacing the whole device. The chrome outer frame is already here in a box, so I'd be investing in the digitizer/glass if not additional components to repair.

I'm disengaging from the What is wrong with my phone? It is possesed thread under Droid 2 Global unless I have any more relevant digitizer replacement valuable notes to share.If I replace the device entirely, I'll continue to post that on the "Official R2-D2 Owners Thread" as well as if I discover any deeper connection between the stock SBFs (621 for D2 vs 622 for R2-D2), rooting, 3rd party screen calibration app, or restoring any functionality of this current device using software methods. I'm about to reflash the stock 622 SBF to see what happens (I'll lose root again doing this until there's a fixed_622 SBF, or reflash fixed_621, or if I successfully cobble together a fixed_622_ish SBF haphazardly fumbling with the blunt instruments on hand, a la reverse-engineering, I gotz zero skillz yo).

Sidenote: RootzWiki forum still hasn't sent my profile activation message for e-mail verification, so I don't have a formal request into beh & phifc yet to build and host the 622-based ezSBF CD (to automatically flash, exploit, and root) specifically for R2-D2 A957 devices, but I intend to post a request over there as soon as possible. Thanks MissionImprobable for your encouragement at RootzWiki to continue after the RSDLite error(s), if I didn't already say thank you for that. It's true this 621 root solution is good enough if intention is to install a custom ROM or not wanting the R2-D2 Edition featureset (per what themib/sd_shadow says, I can also vouch that 621/622 SBFs are interchangeable on this hardware), but additional 622 complete solution would be great for those who want Root2-D2 (ahem, maybe I'm the only freak who does).
Anyso, when RootzWiki verifies my profile I'll give thanks over at that forum where it's due. Ditto over at XDA-Developers forum where I'll point back if the 622 is possible and I can verify it works when available. I am sure those folks have forgotten more than I'll ever hope to learn about the dark side of coding.

In case other readers land here and want a live demo of what the screen can do on its own after damage/exposure/age in the context of this Motorola series of devices (Droid 2 A955, D2 Global A956, and R2-D2 Edition A957), take a peek at this other poster's video embedded on Official R2-D2 Owners Thread for great example of the paranormal activity eerily similar to behavior my own R2 was displaying.

This post is mainly to explain I didn't intend to run parallel threads as the adventure continues, and where appropriate I could start a new thread, of course, so please redirect or moderate me as needed). Thanks to all for continued interest and advice!

(I still talk too much, no hope there yet, maybe duct tape)

Last edited:

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Quick update: pointing back to Official R2-D2 Owners Thread, beh/bhigham's EzSBF 621 Root CD did the magic for me with minimal fuss to root my A957 after stock 622 SBF reflash (beh made it even easier with a complete 622+root for A957 users, but I can't seem to download it from RapidShare for now). I'm posting back here to say the screen is still behaving without any of the previous twitchy spooky self-destruct craziness, but it will continue to have dead-to-touch areas for touch input until I replace the hardware. So I can safely say all the software gremlins are tamed, but parts is parts. Yep. Trying to save the funds to buy parts or suffer until upgrading is within my budget. Bleh!