Screen lockups using stock keyboard

moto italia

Reaction score
Wife got X2 2 weeks ago. After 2 weeks of no problems the screen starting locking up when using the keyboard, especially on the "period" key. Battery pulls and changing all the keyboard setting did not help - kept freezing up. Installed a couple of keyboards from Android Market (Gingerbread Keyboard, Better Keyboard 8), and the problem went away. No more freezes. Anybody else experience this problem? Hopefully it will be fixed with next update.

Last edited:

alexdroidx2

Reaction score
fix

Go into settings then to applications then to all apps and find the one called multitouch keyboard and clear the data don't force stop just clear it. It worked for me and it never happened again

clevercommute

Reaction score
Thank you so very much

That trick worked ("clear data" in "multitouch keyboard" app setings).
FWIW, the last time this happened...Verizon tech support told me I had to do a factory reset...and I was dreading spending this AM doing that.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Go into settings then to applications then to all apps and find the one called multitouch keyboard and clear the data don't force stop just clear it. It worked for me and it never happened again

This worked for me also, although it clears out your saved settings for the keyboard. It only takes a few seconds to get those back though, hopefully they'll patch it up in the future.

TheLovelyDisaster

Reaction score
oh thankyou so much! that was a total life saver XD I was thinking I would need a new phone or another reset -.- not something I was looking forward to..

courttierney

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

Mine started doing that last night I restarted it about 10 times since!!

in99flames

Reaction score
One other little tidbit that helped me with that was that I checked off "Next word Prediction" in the keyboard settings. I did not have any other issues after that. Do not know if my issue was different but it sounded similar to what you guys were talking about.

courttierney

Reaction score
About a month ago

I figured out how to fix that last month when my phone spazed on me. Thanks anyway!!

KarinAZ

Reaction score
thanks!

I just hit the 2 wk mark of Droid X2 ownership and I was fearing having to return it. I've just made the suggested fix and we'll see if it help. I was stunned when I saw the original post saying "2 weeks" of ownership as that's exactly where I am at. I'd love to know if it's a known problem with a potential permanent patch/ fbuix or if I'll run up against this again!

cbinder89

Reaction score
Awesome!

This fix worked for me as well. It is very interesting that I too am in my second week of Droid X2 ownership. There should be patch for this.

Graham962

Reaction score
I am so happy to see this post and am hoping it solves my issue as well! I have owned my x2 since July 23rd this year and have gone through a factory reset almost exactly every 4 weeks since. It's a total pain to have to go through all the set up and reinstalls each time so I'm hoping this works. Thanks again!

TJLDaily311

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the awesome fix! I've owned my Droid X2 for about 5 weeks now, where the problem started for me at about week 3.5! So, yes I've been dealing with it by using PERIOD for my SPACEBAR, since SPACEBAR would cause the keyboard to automatically click "DONE" in most cases (where DONE was an option to the right). And just today using the COLON (for Smileys) started to make my phone freeze completely. First link led me here and that fix has made it work properly again! I'll hope for things to remain fixed! :D

Thanks Again <alexdroidx2>!:D

ashdav2010

Reaction score
I am SO glad I found this thread....my X2 started doing this THIS MORNING! Called tech support, they wanted to do a factory reset and send me another phone if need be....and I just got this thing less than 1 month ago! I had the space bar problem, and turning off the 'next word prediction' fixed that. Hopefully this stuff works for me....I love the phone, but these kindergarten keyboard problems are for the birds! Thanks guys!

never20ld

Reaction score
Great solution! I tried everything that I could think of just short of a master reset but the clear cache fixed 2 Droid world phones.

Thanks,
Larry:biggrin: :icon_ banana:

Last edited:

powtow

Reaction score
awesome fix!

it works on my droid 2 global..saves my day dancedroid

thanks a lot dude :happy3: