Droid X keyboard/spacebar issues

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I had an issue with my keyboard a couple weeks ago and did a factory reset, which seemed to have fixed the problem... until today! The problem is, when using the keyboard (app doesn't matter) if I hit the spacebar it kicks it OUT of the text window, then when I tap the window again it'll open but the cursor will not move while typing and won't show any letters, I can touch the screen, and all the sudden it'll show what I typed, but the cursor will be hung in that position and once again won't move while typing, once the spacebar is hit again, it kicks it back out again. I was going to a do ANOTHER factory reset... but figured I'd hit you guys up to see if this is something other folks are dealing with as well and how they fixed it.

I haven't had ANY trouble with the Droid X till this issue, I've had it since October, it's NOT rooted, and was bought new (not a factory refurb), but man is it aggravating! I don't want to do a factory reset every two weeks...

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for your time!!

Well apparently, I got in SO much of a hurry to post this question I didn't even post it in the "X" section! LOL Can a moderator please move this? Sorry :icon_eek:

Even though this is in the X2 section, I may be able to resolve this. I had the same problem when I received the Gingerbread update. I thought it was due to a lot of lag because the system wasn't optimized for GB completely. I found this didn't hold true as there weren't many reports covering this and for the most part, everyone was loving Gingerbread X. So, I decided that there was a chance that while receiving the update, there was a small fault in the framework that was causing this. So I SBF'd back to the latest Froyo, turned on WiFi and made sure I had a steady and quick connection, set screen time out to never, then received the OTA. This seemed to clear up the problem for the remaining time I owned the X. Hope this helps!

Edit: this thread expanded quickly. Looks like an easier way was discussed how to resolve this issue. If you are having additional problems though, I still recommend the above as it should freshly install your entire system.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Verizon had me do the same thing on my DX. Seems to be a good thing to do, periodically.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Casonx

Reaction score
The fix worked perfectly on my DX. i guess dumping the data once and a while helps!

cbrxcx5790

Reaction score
That happened to me and it was annoying so I did a factory reset and everything is working perfectly.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

staceyspanxx

Reaction score
Help!!!!!!!!!

Help me please!!! I got my first Droid X2 6 weeks ago. It started locking up when I would hit the space bar while texting. had to hit back key and go back and forth and it took 20 minutes to send a 5 word text!! Returned phone and got brand new one - 3 weeks ago! Now this one is jacking up!! If I hit ".", "!", "?", or "," it completely locks up and can only be clear by powering off!!! I called Verizon and went through the new update thing (10 minutes LONG!) and they said that should help - but no!! It is doing same thing!

Does anyone know how to fix this or do I just need to get a different phone all together?? I am about the the point of tears here!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

cbrxcx5790

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing after I got the gingerbread update so I factory reset my phone and it works smooth and fast no problems.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

ras0787

Reaction score
Had the same problem. Clearing the data worked great. Thanks!

greycobalt

Reaction score
This is happening to me constantly and it's maddening. Except for me, the spacebar thing doesn't happen. It just refuses to show what I've typed even though spellcheck and autocorrect recognize. I'm ready to throw it out the window.

anjgfam

Reaction score
Same issue

I've been having the same issue but with a different phone...I have a Motorola Droid 2. I just got it in June and I haven't had any major problems that the task killer wouldn't fix until about a week ago. Now when I try to type a text message, doesn't matter if I'm using the slideout keyboard or the touchscreen keyboard(vertical or horizontal), anytime I type and use the space bar it takes the texting bar at the bottom away and won't let me type anymore. I can type as many other characters as I want so long as I don't hit the spacebar. Sometimes if I leave the texting app by hitting home and return to the text it will let me continue for another word but then freeze right back up the second I hit the spacear. The only way i can successfully create text messages is using the talk to text feature.

I also noticed the problem that greycobalt is having and that happens to my phone often as well...

I know that this is being posted under a forum for a different phone but I am new to this website and didn't know if I would be able to find another forum with the same problem for my phone. I was going to go to verizon this afternoon but I would really appreciate som guidance beforehand.

ras0787

Reaction score
I've been having the same issue but with a different phone...I have a Motorola Droid 2. I just got it in June and I haven't had any major problems that the task killer wouldn't fix until about a week ago. Now when I try to type a text message, doesn't matter if I'm using the slideout keyboard or the touchscreen keyboard(vertical or horizontal), anytime I type and use the space bar it takes the texting bar at the bottom away and won't let me type anymore. I can type as many other characters as I want so long as I don't hit the spacebar. Sometimes if I leave the texting app by hitting home and return to the text it will let me continue for another word but then freeze right back up the second I hit the spacear. The only way i can successfully create text messages is using the talk to text feature.

I also noticed the problem that greycobalt is having and that happens to my phone often as well...

I know that this is being posted under a forum for a different phone but I am new to this website and didn't know if I would be able to find another forum with the same problem for my phone. I was going to go to verizon this afternoon but I would really appreciate som guidance beforehand.

HAve you tried a data and cache wipe? That fixed it for me when i was having this problem.

Anozira

Reaction score
I had that problem with my x2. If I cleared the cache for the keyboard it would temporarily fix it. I found the two best solutions to be to use the swype keyboard or download the gingerbread keyboard off the market.

anjgfam

Reaction score
HAve you tried a data and cache wipe? That fixed it for me when i was having this problem.

I got it work...someone told me to do this and it worked :)

Menu>Manage Apps>Multitouch Keyboard> Clear Data

Hypermommy

Reaction score
Go to the home screen and do this:

Menu, Settings, Applications, All, Multi Touch Keyboard, and clear data :)

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I had installed an alternate keyboard the other day when this issue started happening and only just now had time to sit down andd research on it. I ws worried about the other keyboard since I got a warning about it may send my data somewhere (don't remember the exact text.... I know... not helpful). I was worried about passwords being sent to some unknown developer which just strikes me as a not safe thing, you know? So I have my original keyboard back now, thanks to you, and no more worries. Thanks!!!