Screen goes crazy when charging

eliassami5

Reaction score
Im using launcher pro with the black bar Sapphire theme and it runs beautifully when the phone is not being charged. But once i start charging it and then use the phone as i normally would, the screen starts acting up and being unresponsive. When i try and swipe left or right the status bar starts popping up and down, and when i try scrolling in the app drawer it scrolls up and down unpredictably and erratically, and i cant click on apps on my home screen. Not sure if this is an issue with Launcher Pro or the Sapphire but if anyone knows of a fix besides unplugging my phone it would be much appreciated.

SEGA

Reaction score
Your not using a Droid charger.

Some 3rd party chargers with make your screen go wacky until its unplugged from the phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

killuhjason

Reaction score
I encounter this when plugging my usb cable into my computer using a non grounded, generic laptop charger. its dirty power from the outlet.

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
Your not using a Droid charger.

Some 3rd party chargers with make your screen go wacky until its unplugged from the phone.

Yeah pretty much what he said. Most if not all people with this issue were using a 3rd party charger.

white_ash143

Reaction score
Same issue here but I use the one that was supplied with phone. Still has the ecomoto sticker on it.

racketier

Reaction score
I can confirm this. I couldn't find my charger last night so I used my roommates LG micro usb charger. It charged my phone fine, but when my alarm went off this morning I had a hell of a time turning it off and resetting it for a later time :icon_eek:

GodfatherIP

Reaction score
It could be the charger (I haven't had charger problems so I can't confirm) but you could also check to make sure you don't have a screwed up setcpu profile. Sometimes if you switch kernels and a slot that you used to have is no longer present it will change the profile to 125/125 which would make your phone extremely unresponsive. Also I think the new kernels added a powersave governor which clocks the phone to the minimum frequency. So if you have a charging profile and it is clocked at 125/125 or if it is set to powersave governor then it would make sense that your phone would slow down whenever you plugged it in. If not then it is probably the charger thing like everyone else said.

msheldon

Reaction score
I've seen this also. Never happened with other roms. But it also coincided with enabling cache on LauncherPro and turning compcache on. I turned both off, and rebooted, and haven't had an issue yet.

OP
eliassami5

eliassami5

Reaction score
it might be the cable, its a 6ft cable i got off of amazon. But ive been using this cable for 6 months and have never had this problem till i started using a Sapphire rom. It dosent happen immediately, usually takes a bit of playing around with my phone to cause it to start freaking out. All my set cpu profiles are set correctly so thats not the issue.

dpicts

Reaction score
This is not just a Moto Droid issue... I noticed this 6 months ago with my wife's droid eris... took a couple of weeks to figure out why sometimes the screen had a mind of its own; when I got my Moto Droid I quickly noticed similar behavior. I don't see the problem if the power is being supplied from a DC source (car or portable charger), only see it when using an AC adapter and/or PC (not all of my PC's do it, I assume that some have better filtering on the 5v lines than others.)

OP
eliassami5

eliassami5

Reaction score
i just read that this is also plaguing the Droid 2 Demo phones at the VZW stores. I guess they didnt address the grounding issue.

swomack

Reaction score
I've seen this also. Never happened with other roms. But it also coincided with enabling cache on LauncherPro and turning compcache on. I turned both off, and rebooted, and haven't had an issue yet.
I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to say thank you!dancedroid, because of all the threads I have read, turning off the compcache and cache on Launcherpro seemed to fix my problem. So, that I can actually use my phone long enough to wait until the 4G phones come out.

evulhotdog

Reaction score
I've got two chargers from verizon and both of them do the same thing.

I have seen this before, it was the charger. The screen was randomly touching things, opening up stuff, as if the digitizer was messing up, and as far as actually touching it, it was working for about every 1/4 touch. It was the charger, try a different outlet, charger AND usb cable.

Edit: didnt see last response >.<