Formatting without volume buttons (touch screen going crazy)

GST

Reaction score
My droid 1 is acting crazy and I want to try to factory reset it (it's not rooted). Problem is, both my volume buttons on the side are broken. Is there a way to format without using the volume buttons?

And incase anyone has seen this problem before, my screen is going crazy. When I try to use my finger to scroll down a list, half the time the scroll goes wacky and goes up and down really fast. The other half, it doesn't even respond to my finger, just sits there. When I slide out my keyboard to text message, the top notification bar keeps scrolling down by itself without me even touching it. I was going to try a format and see if that fixed anything. Has anyone else seen this before?

ddfuji

Reaction score
My droid 1 is acting crazy and I want to try to factory reset it (it's not rooted). Problem is, both my volume buttons on the side are broken. Is there a way to format without using the volume buttons?

And incase anyone has seen this problem before, my screen is going crazy. When I try to use my finger to scroll down a list, half the time the scroll goes wacky and goes up and down really fast. The other half, it doesn't even respond to my finger, just sits there. When I slide out my keyboard to text message, the top notification bar keeps scrolling down by itself without me even touching it. I was going to try a format and see if that fixed anything. Has anyone else seen this before?

Don't you just use the keyboard? I briefly had a droid one and I don't think you have to use the volume keys... what you need the volume keys for besides scrolling?

And with the messed up screen it might be something contacting the screen. Usually some kind of moisture. Check to make sure there are no little particles in between the screen edge and the bezzle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
G

GST

Reaction score
As far as I know, you have to use the side volume buttons to bring up the format window when you turn on the phone. I've tried to google another way, but haven't seen one. If someone here knows a way to go through the format screen when you boot your phone without using the volume buttons, I would greatly appreciate it.

ddfuji

Reaction score
As far as I know, you have to use the side volume buttons to bring up the format window when you turn on the phone. I've tried to google another way, but haven't seen one. If someone here knows a way to go through the format screen when you boot your phone without using the volume buttons, I would greatly appreciate it.

Try holding x. Turn of phone and push the power button and hold x. I believe this is how I did it. It was a while go. I know x is involved :p just hold x till that screen pops up. And from there you can use the keyboard to scroll

OP
G

GST

Reaction score
If you're talking about scrolling in recovery, you can use the D-pad to do that.
My problem is I can't get to the recovery window. The shortcut I've googled is holding volume up and the camera button together. Then the screen pops up. Right now I can hold x and have the triangle with the yellow ! come up, but I can't get to the recovery options. I've tried holding dpad up, left, right, and down with the camera button, but none of them work. Is there another way to get there without the volume button?

ggtus

Reaction score
looks like you might have to flash an sbf to get a formatted phone. If the display digitizer is going out then take it to a verizon store and they should be able to ship you a new one if you have an extended warranty. If not contact motorola for a manufacturer's warranty

ddfuji

Reaction score
My problem is I can't get to the recovery window. The shortcut I've googled is holding volume up and the camera button together. Then the screen pops up. Right now I can hold x and have the triangle with the yellow ! come up, but I can't get to the recovery options. I've tried holding dpad up, left, right, and down with the camera button, but none of them work. Is there another way to get there without the volume button?

That sucks. I thought the x button would work. Kinda makes me think there might be even something larger wrong. Cause I swore that holding x got you to the options. Isn't there a factory reset in the settings. Have you tried that?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I assumed you were rooted. There is a way to do a factory reset through the phone. Hit the menu button, then Settings/Privacy then Factory reset.

dan j

Reaction score
FWIW, my OG is doing some of the same things. It's driving me nuts. It's making phone calls, pressing buttons and making the phone really hard to use. The only solution is turning off the screen. Then I have problems with the slide lock. And, then the phone starts jumping in my hand as the gremlins attempt the slide lock themselves :blink: My contract is almost up and this seems like a way to force me to upgrade/renew.

Did you figure anything out GST? I'm going to try a factory reset. I think this all started right around the time the latest "update" came out.

OP
G

GST

Reaction score
FWIW, my OG is doing some of the same things. It's driving me nuts. It's making phone calls, pressing buttons and making the phone really hard to use. The only solution is turning off the screen. Then I have problems with the slide lock. And, then the phone starts jumping in my hand as the gremlins attempt the slide lock themselves :blink: My contract is almost up and this seems like a way to force me to upgrade/renew.

Did you figure anything out GST? I'm going to try a factory reset. I think this all started right around the time the latest "update" came out.
Well, I thought the only way to format was from start up, didn't know you could do it through settings. So I just factory reset. It didn't fix anything (I didn't really think it would do much). I read that water and stuff can seep down between the case and the touch screen, and I have grease on my hands often at my work, so I think that might have screwed up my phone. So I just bought another. It might be another way to sell another phone also, lol. Good luck to you.

dan j

Reaction score
Thanks GST, good luck with the new phone. I'm probably going to do the same thing. I keep mine dry, I know it's not water causing my issues. Such a PITA especially since there's no new Droid I really want.

Thanks

crowntail

Reaction score
ok so i went on a trip for about a month and a half, and left my phone in the car after getting to the airport, it sat in the car while it was freezing cold and snowing until someone came to pick it up (not sure when that was im guessing after a week or two) when i got home and went to turn on the phone the screen did not work, at first i thought it was a software problem, i had miui for a long time and had installed cyanogenmod just two days before the flight, i did not have the chance to mess around with it because i had forgotten it in the cat, so i went on and installed the miui back thinking it would fix it if it was indeed a problem with the rom.. but it didnt help.. i searched and searched and the only solution i could find is to bring it back to repair at the company.. but the phone was bought in another country and i do not have coverage for it so thats not a possibility..
then i found one post that said the problem is probably moist that has build up between the screen glass and the touch screen! it could be due to taking it in to the shower with you, or as i did leaving it in a freezing cold car for a week+ whatever it is it seems legit.
so i kept searching and finally found a post that said that if you press the screen down really hard it will fix the problem temporerly, and it sure did!!! when i press it it works fine, it then goes back to being crazy calling random people and writing random letters without stopping after a few seconds but when i press again it works fine again, so i am guessing the moist theory is right.
the next comment i found said to replace the glass on the screen, its called a digitizer and its the top glass that the moist is trapped under it (and may be loose which prevents the touch screen from sensing your touch) i found it on ebay for about 13$ and it comes with everything you need to replace it including the screen, you can then go on youtube and fine videos on how to open the phone and exchange the screen.
anyways try and do the pressing thing, if it does help its probably a moist problem and replacing the glass might help (maybe just pressing it to stick together will help by it self)
hope this helps and good luck to us all :)