Screen Brightness

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
So XDA's on a bitching spree about the low brightness levels seen from the Pixel's in terms of maximum nits, I'm not a member there but enjoy their elitists discussions as sometimes topics like this are pulled to the forefront of decisions. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this phone but this got me nervous as I'm a contractor and really this is a must point for me. I'm still rocking a OG Droid Turbo so I hit up phonearena to compare and see where I stand:

Pixel comes in at 433 nits, which is apparently now relatively crap compared to the field, after the panic I checked the Turbo and it's an awful 248 nits...wait what? I have no problems at all reading my phone outdoors in direct sunlight, or am I really missing out and don't even know it? So now yet another category of meh in a pool of awesome potential from this phone to consider. It'll be an upgrade from what I have but it's inferior to the competition. Grah. Thoughts on this people?

http%3A%2F%2Fi14.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa340%2Fczeddie%2FAndroid%2FUntitled3.jpg

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Always set my phone to auto, and it never gets anywhere close to max. I'm not worried about this when the phone arrives.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This is one area where Sammy excels...Once you have used and gotten used to a device with a super amoled screen, everything else pales in comparison. Literally. (At least where direct sunlight is concerned)

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Maybe I am blind to the difference, but I think my Turbo 2 screen is easier to see in direct sunlight than the super AMOLED on my Sammy work phone. It's an older model so maybe that's why? I would think the Pixel will be OK to see in the sun. Maybe not the best in the world, but probably just fine.

This phone is being picked apart before it even hits the public's hands. LOL.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Yea well that's just kind of what I was wondering, perhaps a difference in display technology would mean the Turbo had low nits but easier readability vs something else, or a reflectivity issue for instance. I can overlook a lot of things but like I said it's imperative I can read it outside...if it's better than the Turbo then all is well, but I was shocked that it was still only half of the values put out by other phones this year, or even last for that matter.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My Pixel XL doesn't get as bright as my Note 7 in direct sunlight, but I can see the screen on the Pixel just fine.

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
My Pixel XL doesn't get as bright as my Note 7 in direct sunlight, but I can see the screen on the Pixel just fine.

Excellent. Using auto or manual settings and/or see any difference between the two?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Excellent. Using auto or manual settings and/or see any difference between the two?

Using the manual settings, both appear to reach a similar brightness. In auto mode, the Note 7 gets noticeably brighter since that's when it will kick the brightness into overdrive.

But overall, the readability in direct sunlight is not an issue for the Pixel.