Screen blank after long phoem calls

szurlo

Reaction score
When I finish a long phone call (20+ min or so) when I pull my D2 away from my face, the screen lights back up, as it should. However, it only stays lit for maybe 2 seconds tops and then goes completely out like the screen timeout has been reached. I then have to push the button on the top of the phone to wake the screen back up so I can hang up the call. This only seems to happen on long calls. If the call is only a few minutes, the display stays lit after I pull the phone away from my face and I'm able to end the call with no issues. My suspicion was that the screen timeout defined in the settings was elapsing during the phone call so that the instant I pulled the phone away from my face, the screen shutdown and locked, but I shot that theory down by setting the timeout value to 15 seconds and then placing a 2 minute phone call. The screen stayed lit at the end of the call. Anyone else seeing this?

tailg8r

Reaction score
I get the same thing. It's really making the Droid 2 a less than fun experience. I had the Droid X, and experienced no problems. I'm thinking maybe I should've stayed with the X. I'd sure like an explanation and a fix to the problem.

OP
S

szurlo

Reaction score
OK, so I'm not the only one. I dug though all the settings and couldn't find any setting or combination of settings that would explain this behavior. It really seems like a software issue. The proximity sensor appears to be working fine since the phone lights up when you pull it away from your face. It's just like the phone is forgetting that you are in a phone call at that point and saying "oh, the normal screen timeout has elapsed. Time to go to sleep."
Hopefully this will be addressed in a firmware update to the phone.