SBF fails on "Error switching phone to BP pass through mode (0x70BE)"

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I had a failure of the phe phone, using this .sbf:[ http://goo.gl/NPB7Z]
The flashing worked fine, but I lost use of the phone, text was dead, and my number changed to 000 000 6778!
I had to perform the dreaded *22898 and re-flash BACK to the original .621.
Now I have to delete the same garbage I dumped the first time I took the phone from stock to root.

I find I was 'saved' by TB, but not happy tobe back with .621 .sbf. I wil be daring and redo this again soon, I now know this flash was not a workable solution.
Just wanted to inform people about the potential troubles.
My system: 4.5.621.MB810.verizon.en.US
Version:2.3.4
Build: 4.5.1_57_DX8-51
ERI: 5
PRL version: 53269
Baseband version: BP_C_01.09.15P
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g1282440 mcbk83@il93lnxdroid08 #1
Droid X on VZW.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I had a failure of the phe phone, using this .sbf:[ http://goo.gl/NPB7Z]
The flashing worked fine, but I lost use of the phone, text was dead, and my number changed to 000 000 6778!
I had to perform the dreaded *22898
After flashing a sbf you have to reactivate, every time, and why is it dreaded, it only takes a couple of mins
and re-flash BACK to the original .621.
Now I have to delete the same garbage I dumped the first time I took the phone from stock to root.

I find I was 'saved' by TB, but not happy tobe back with .621 .sbf. I wil be daring and redo this again soon, I now know this flash was not a workable solution.
Just wanted to inform people about the potential troubles.
My system: 4.5.621.MB810.verizon.en.US
Version:2.3.4
Build: 4.5.1_57_DX8-51
ERI: 5
PRL version: 53269
Baseband version: BP_C_01.09.15P
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g1282440 mcbk83@il93lnxdroid08 #1
Droid X on VZW.

did you verify the md5: 06bbf7ee86c0ed64654e14bcb84c4aed
for Android 2.3.4 System Version 4.5.621 (1FF-p3a_shadow_cdma_shadow-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DX8-51-120111-test-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf.zip)

edit: looks like 1KDS site is down
I have mirror for 1FF-p3a_shadow_cdma_shadow-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DX8-51-120111-test-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf.zip
here http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=22979706399755132

Last edited:

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I never received any upgrade/update notification by VZW, the phone just showed the updated file without my interaction.....which sucks, I really would like to request such things, not be forced to accept them as they sneak in and do so during the night.
At least in the radio business, any flash updates are provided on as-requested basis, and my batch of ibuttons are preloaded with specific uplifts for the platform firmware being updated, which I prefer, not OTA as I do often with AES-256 encryption.

I just made my own menu widget for such things, and have saved my trial by fire data as a sticky to refer to.
I never read the comments about losing our phone number after a firmware change, maybe I did not see those posts, and I have ready hundreds prior to my doing such a thing.
Live and learn, I will take the plunge again, but since I recovered (sort of), what I did not notice, was what such a alteration actually did for me.

I did note one item a bit odd after the operation, and that was the inclusion of the blue triangle on the display. Was this an indicator that there was a problem, or is this a normal occurrence?
View attachment 66396
This of course, is no longer showing after making the 'call of death' to VZW and getting my number reactivated.

Can I expect to have to call VZW again if I attempt another SBF programming excursion?

If these were two way radios, this would be a simple matter for me, but nope, I had to dabble in another 'radio-related' field, but happy to do so.
This is THE learning curve!

Thanks to ALL that made education fun, once more!

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I used this .SBF--->http://goo.gl/NPB7Z], and everything was going according to 'plan', but after the final reboot, I did not need to use he phone, so I did not check on connectivity, or send/receive texts, until the wife showed up and asked me why I never responded.
But as far as bricking it, no, I performed a reload of TB, RTB, root checker and the 'usual' complement of tools, none of which indicated trouble, except that pesky blue triangle (which is no longer on the status bar).
I even had WiFi access, so nothing appeared out of place...
I know I did something improper, but I have no idea what that might be.
And yes, I used .621 flash...So that was NOT the thing to do.
This is the file: https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-x-sbf-files/1FF-P3a_shadow_cdma_shadow-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DX8-51-120111-test-keys-signed-verizon-us.sbf.zip<-----I take it this was a dumb thing to do?

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I used this .SBF--->http://goo.gl/NPB7Z], and everything was going according to 'plan', but after the final reboot, I did not need to use he phone, so I did not check on connectivity, or send/receive texts, until the wife showed up and asked me why I never responded.
But as far as bricking it, no, I performed a reload of TB, RTB, root checker and the 'usual' complement of tools, none of which indicated trouble, except that pesky blue triangle (which is no longer on the status bar).
I even had WiFi access, so nothing appeared out of place...
I know I did something improper, but I have no idea what that might be.
you have to reactivate after flashing a sbf, always
And yes, I used .621 flash...So that was NOT the thing to do.
This is the file: https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-x-sbf-files/1FF-P3a_shadow_cdma_shadow-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DX8-51-120111-test-keys-signed-verizon-us.sbf.zip<-----I take it this was a dumb thing to do?
that is the right file, it worked like it should.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
if you wiped data, in android recovery you would have got the activation screen.
if you don't wipe data/ factory reset before and/or after flashing a sbf, you just need to remember, reactivate with *228 option one

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Then all is 'right' in my world!
Now for the 64 penny question; what did I gain from this flashing?
I noticed a lot of the same garbage bloat I had originally, like football apps and nfsshift...not to mention social media/meeting/myspace...all deleted.

I am happy to know my flashing was a success, but I was read the riot act by my wife for not being able to answer a 'dead' phone..:O
Good thing the file I used was the proper one, that is a relief.

I need to begin supporting all the app makers I make use of for the zero cost apps.

Thank you for all your assistance!

Last edited: