Droid X - won't hard reset

XFlex

Reaction score
Help! My Droid X is muerto.

I don't know what happened to the phone, but this is what I'm dealing with...

I've replaced the battery and pushed the power button; Result: Motorola symbol - frozen
I insert the battery, hold the home key and press the power button; result: Motorola symbol - frozen
I insert the battery, hold the camera key and press the power button; result: Motorola Bootloader text; 30.04; Battery OK, OK to Program, Connect USB, Data Cable. I plug in the data cable; result: Transfer Mode: USB

I don't know what to do next.

Any suggestions?

Savagerun

Reaction score
Sounds like you may need to sbf. Were you rooted? Do you know what system version you were on? Was it gingerbread 4.5.602 or 4.5.605 or did you take the latest OTA update to 4.5.621?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
X

XFlex

Reaction score
I'm only warmly technical. From my understanding of "rooting" - no I was not rooted. Unfortunately, I have no idea what version I was on.

My one-year-old nephew briefly played with and sucked on my phone. I could be that there was some saliva damage. I know it sounds weird but it is true

Savagerun

Reaction score
Yes saliva damage is possible lol... That's what 1yr olds do. You can try to sbf your phone which you do while in bootloader mode which you described but honestly i would just run the phone up to verizon and tell them your nephew played with the phone and that's how you got it back. They'll try to reset it for you or figure out if there's moisture damage which most likely it is. Since you've never been rooted i would let then figure it out and go from there. If you want to try to sbf it let us know and we'll give you the links you need or just google droidx sbf and you'll find the info. If you took the latest OTA update then your on gingerbread 4.5.621 so that's the sbf file you would need to use. But like i said i would take it to verizon first it's probably water damage.

leftspin

Reaction score
What exactly happened? You just picked up your phone and it wasn't working?

To get into stock recovery and do a factory reset, pull the battery and then hold the home and camera button to boot into recovery. When the screen shows a picture of an Android logo and a triangle with an exclamation point inside, hit both volume buttons to bring up the recovery menu. Then use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select and choose to do a factory data reset.

If that doesn't work then we'll figure out which system version you were on so we know which SBF you need to flash, but start with trying to do the reset.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Yes you can try a factory reset like leftspin said but press your home button and hold it in then press your power button and hold it in also till you see a triangle on the screen (not camera button, leftspin made a honest mistake by saying camera button) this link will explain steps for doing a factory reset on gingerbread 2.3 https://motorola-global-portal.cust...ail/a_id/48517/~/droid-x---factory-data-reset you'll find it towards the bottom of that link.

leftspin

Reaction score
Yes you can try a factory reset like leftspin said but press your home button and hold it in then press your power button and hold it in also till you see a triangle on the screen (not camera button, leftspin made a honest mistake by saying camera button) this link will explain steps for doing a factory reset on gingerbread 2.3 https://motorola-global-portal.cust...ail/a_id/48517/~/droid-x---factory-data-reset you'll find it towards the bottom of that link.

Home+camera+power is how you boot into recovery unless something was changed with a recent update.

Savagerun

Reaction score
I never tried it that way leftspin so maybe you can do it that way but i always just press home+ power for stock recovery. And for bootloader mode i do camera+ volume down+ power.

leftspin

Reaction score
I never tried it that way leftspin so maybe you can do it that way but i always just press home+ power for stock recovery. And for bootloader mode i do camera+ volume down+ power.

Bootloader. Yes, that's what I was thinking you needed the camera button for. Sorry, taking notes and doing this at the same time lol