SBF fails on "Error switching phone to BP pass through mode (0x70BE)"

caesar1018

Reaction score
This is my first time posting on this site, so if this is the wrong area to post this issue please let me know.

I have a Droid X MB810 that is stuck in Bootloader mode as shown:

Booloader

Battery OK
OK to program
Connect USB
Data Cable

I do not know what version was on this phone prior to it becoming a brick
(I believe it was 4.5.621 OTA because the phone was recently activated 3 months ago)

I have loaded ALL sbf files in order from oldest to newest. Starting with 1KDS's files
2.3.340 full, 4.5.596, 4.5.602, 4.5.605 and finally the last one 4.5.621. I realize this last one is the point of no return
and I can no longer use the others (previous ones didn't work anyhow and gave error messages above "Battery OK" on the phones screen)

I am running Win 7 64-bit Ultimate w/ rdslite 4.8 and current drivers ( I assume the drivers are current as I have another fully functional Droid X that is being recognized fine by PC via the Motorola USB cable) Battery is a 100%.

Questions about the drivers????
Visually I see the following differences when hooking up both phones via USB:

The working phone when plugged in via USB shows the following info in the "driver software installation" window:
USB Mass Storage Device Ready to use
Motorola MB810 USB Device Ready to use

When I plug in the bricked Droid X it shows the following on the PHONES screen:
The last 2 lines of text change? Is this an issue?

Bootloader

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer mode:
USB

Also, when I connect it to the PC via the Motorola USB cable I get the "driver software installation" window but it says the following:
Motorola Flash Interface Ready to use

(I don't see any other info listed as with the fully functional phone)

I have even "wiped data/factory reset" and "system reboot" the phone each time after every sbf above with no luck either.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JT

Last edited:

leftspin

Reaction score
I'm a little confused by your post, could you clarify a few things?

-Does the SBF flash finish, or does it fail somewhere along the way?
-What are you using to flash the SBF? RSDLite? Linux boot CD?
-Are you able to successfully flash the working phone?

OP
C

caesar1018

Reaction score
SBF looks to finish with 100% showing in "progress" field.
Throws the error "Error switching phone to BP pass through mode(0x70BE)phone connected" in the "status" field.
and shows FAILED in the "results" field.
I have used both RSDlite 4.8 and 5.7.
I have not tried a Linux boot CD as of yet.
Not going to flash the working phone as I need it to make phone calls.

leftspin

Reaction score
In that case I would try the Linux boot CD method, and if that doesn't work then I have a feeling it would definitely be an issue with the device and not the computer.

OP
C

caesar1018

Reaction score
Did the Linux boot CD method using the 1KDStaz_MX_4.5.604.iso (Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread) - since I believe my phone was on 4.5.621.
All files loaded and verified fine but I ended up back at the bootloader screen after all was said and done.
I think the phone is bricked PERIOD!
Unless someone has some obscure method to fix this issue that I'm unaware of.
Let me know would ya.
Thanks

OP
C

caesar1018

Reaction score
I doesn't go into safe mode because it is stuck in bootloader mode.
I can get into recovery mode because I am able to wipe cache, files, and reboot. But all this still only leads to a bootloader screen.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
caesar1018 said:
SBF looks to finish with 100% showing in "progress" field.
Throws the error "Error switching phone to BP pass through mode(0x70BE)phone connected" in the "status" field.
and shows FAILED in the "results" field.
I have used both RSDlite 4.8 and 5.7.
I have not tried a Linux boot CD as of yet.
Not going to flash the working phone as I need it to make phone calls.

usually a bp switching error, is caused from a driver issue
this is the recommended fix, for the d2

"Note: Under certain circumstances (especially when using Windows Vista and Windows 7) there might be a problem with not all device drivers being installed correctly. In such case, the flashing process will abort, and your phone won't be able to boot normally. RSDLite shows the following error message:

Error switching phone to BP Pass through mode

To get around this issue, once you get a Device driver could not be installed message from Windows, don't close RSDLite nor power off the phone. Start Motorola Driver Installer once again, and let it finish. Then if RSDLite didn't timeout yet, head to Device Manager, find the Unknown device, and in its properties' Driver tab click Update driver…. It should now install normally. If RSDLite timed out and you got an error from it, just repeat the SBF process. The driver should now be present, and the flashing process will finish normally.

Once the flashing process is complete, RSDLite will tell you to “power the phone up manually”. In most cases you won't be able to do this straight as instructed: the phone will be bootlooping. Take the battery out, and then place it back in. Press the lock/power button: the phone should boot normally."

OP
C

caesar1018

Reaction score
To get around this issue, once you get a Device driver could not be installed message from Windows (I don't get this error at all), don't close RSDLite nor power off the phone. Start Motorola Driver Installer once again, and let it finish. (Done this and still FAILS) Then if RSDLite didn't timeout yet, head to Device Manager, find the Unknown device, and in its properties' Driver tab click Update driver…. (Did this as well and still FAILS) It should now install normally. (IT DOES NOT)If RSDLite timed out and you got an error from it, just repeat the SBF process. (Did this and still FAILS) The driver should now be present, and the flashing process will finish normally. (Nope!)

I have tried this several times to no avail.
Thanks for the suggestion.

clueless77

Reaction score
To get around this issue, once you get a Device driver could not be installed message from Windows (I don't get this error at all), don't close RSDLite nor power off the phone. Start Motorola Driver Installer once again, and let it finish. (Done this and still FAILS) Then if RSDLite didn't timeout yet, head to Device Manager, find the Unknown device, and in its properties' Driver tab click Update driver…. (Did this as well and still FAILS) It should now install normally. (IT DOES NOT)If RSDLite timed out and you got an error from it, just repeat the SBF process. (Did this and still FAILS) The driver should now be present, and the flashing process will finish normally. (Nope!)

I have tried this several times to no avail.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I think you might have the first ever hard bricked Droid X, and let me tell you that is hard to do.

OP
C

caesar1018

Reaction score
Tried it. Still a brick. Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope one works one day.

tbrown2012

Reaction score
A fix

This is my first time posting on this site, so if this is the wrong area to post this issue please let me know.

I have a Droid X MB810 that is stuck in Bootloader mode as shown:

Booloader

Battery OK
OK to program
Connect USB
Data Cable

I do not know what version was on this phone prior to it becoming a brick
(I believe it was 4.5.621 OTA because the phone was recently activated 3 months ago)

I have loaded ALL sbf files in order from oldest to newest. Starting with 1KDS's files
2.3.340 full, 4.5.596, 4.5.602, 4.5.605 and finally the last one 4.5.621. I realize this last one is the point of no return
and I can no longer use the others (previous ones didn't work anyhow and gave error messages above "Battery OK" on the phones screen)

I am running Win 7 64-bit Ultimate w/ rdslite 4.8 and current drivers ( I assume the drivers are current as I have another fully functional Droid X that is being recognized fine by PC via the Motorola USB cable) Battery is a 100%.

Questions about the drivers????
Visually I see the following differences when hooking up both phones via USB:

The working phone when plugged in via USB shows the following info in the "driver software installation" window:
USB Mass Storage Device Ready to use

When I plug in the bricked Droid X it shows the following on the PHONES screen:
The last 2 lines of text change? Is this an issue?

Bootloader

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer mode:
USB

Also, when I connect it to the PC via the Motorola USB cable I get the "driver software installation" window but it says the following:
Motorola Flash Interface Ready to use

(I don't see any other info listed as with the fully functional phone)

I have even "wiped data/factory reset" and "system reboot" the phone each time after every sbf above with no luck either.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JT

Go To this Page: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...96&i=1dd460dffac4bfba08b006dabf78082543dcd994
And Download the android system file 2.34 4.5.621 because your phone has had the .621 ota update and will only work with the file on the bottom of the page. Once you download the file reflash the phone with RSD lite 5.6 or newer. http://goo.gl/NPB7Z

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I finally took the leap, and flashed my DX.
I was a bit nervous, as I was not excited to see a 'fail' indicator show up in RSDLite, but the entire process worked flawlessly, and applied the .SBF as hoped.
I made changes to the build.prop Editor, and reset the media.stagefright.enable-record to 'true', as well as themedia.stagefright.enable-rtsp as well. Rebooted and they stayed.
Since I am a newbie to flashing, I could not control the urge to photograph the task, maybe this might help others, and show them what to expect/look for as the flash this, or other .SBF files to their phone.
View attachment 66382
View attachment 66383
View attachment 66384
View attachment 66385
View attachment 66386

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
More flashing pics..

A few I could not upload due to max limit.
View attachment 66387

Poor shot, taken too fast...sorry!

BUT.....the process was a success, and that, means a lot!

Last edited: