Saving ringtones from text messages

lauranyc

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking around to try and find how to do this and I can't seem to figure it out.

I have the Droid HTC Eris

I sent myself a ringtone from a website I always used, it saves as an mp3, but when I open it in the text message it just plays the song and gives me no options to save it or set as ringtone.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

sethmo

Reaction score
What website?

Can you hold click on the file, does it give you any options?

OP
L

lauranyc

Reaction score
www.myxer.com is the website..and i cant seem to hold down anything to save it..so i just downloaded an app in the market that has free ringtones until i figure out how to save from text

ddietz21

Reaction score
i had the same problem. easy and better fix...just hook up your htc eris via usb to your computer, add any music you want to your phone, and then open the music app and open whatever song you want as a ringtone. press menu while its playing, and choose "set as ringtone". . . you can trim the song any way you want just like on myxer.com BALLER

elderban

Reaction score
You can save it by touch/holding on the actual message itself. The option menu should come up allowing you to save it as a ringtone.

jaxster

Reaction score
I figured it out

Open the message and press and hold till the menu pops up then click save to card. Then open your media player and search for the tone, When the play menu comes up hit the menu key and set as ringtone. There may be a faster easier way but this is how I made it work!!

Jaxs:icon_ banana:

doctormom

Reaction score
Thank you

Elderban - you are fabulous. Boy have I spent some time trying to do this! FYI everyone else - see post below on how to save ringtones that have been sent via text message... just hold the message and the option magically appears! This was clearly not logical to me, but I've got it now! Many thanks! :icon_ banana:

junebuddy

Reaction score
text

i have a droid2, but am told it works the same way on this phone, but all i get when i press and hold on the message is 2 options..."open conversation" and "delete conversation". grrrrrrrr

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Junebuddy, it sounds like you aren't long pressing the message, but the conversation. In any event, I'm sure the Droid 2 sub forum would be a better place to try to get answers.

annabanana

Reaction score
Junebuddy, I only registered on this forum so I could answer your question- because I was having the same troubles with my droid 2. if you click on the message and listen to the song, press the back button and press down and hold on the audio file picture icon. it will give you the option to 'save audio' file. hit save. when you go to settings to set your new ringtone, the new audio file will be all the way at the end. Let me know if this is clear and/or works for you! :)

louisedem

Reaction score
finally !

Thanks AnnaBanana - I was finally able to save the downloaded ringtones after scouring these forums for a very long time. However, in my many attempts at this I may have caused a problem. When I view the two ringtones in the files folder, they were not saved as .mp3 files. they were saved as MMS_999dm. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jolest

Reaction score
Thanks AnnaBanana - I was finally able to save the downloaded ringtones after scouring these forums for a very long time. However, in my many attempts at this I may have caused a problem. When I view the two ringtones in the files folder, they were not saved as .mp3 files. they were saved as MMS_999dm. Any suggestions? Thanks.

How were you "looking" to see what the files were named?

If you were using Windows to check the files, it hides the file extensions by default (damn fool Microsoft idea)... If this is the case, you can tell it to stop hiding the file extensions in the Windows Explorer options dialog.

Last edited:

louisedem

Reaction score
On my phone, I looked in settings / files and they are listed there. Not inside a folder, just listed as MMS_71205dm. I believe these files are saved text messages. I finally sent verizon an email and was told you cannot buy a ringtone online and have it downloaded to a droid. It must be bought from your phone using vcast. I did and it worked perfectly. I suggested they display a warning online or just disable it.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
On my phone, I looked in settings / files and they are listed there. Not inside a folder, just listed as MMS_71205dm. I believe these files are saved text messages. I finally sent verizon an email and was told you cannot buy a ringtone online and have it downloaded to a droid. It must be bought from your phone using vcast. I did and it worked perfectly. I suggested they display a warning online or just disable it.
Louisedem, don't listen to verizon on this one. They don't WANT you to have ringtones they CAN'T charge you for. There are ways around it.