Saving attachments from GMail?

Xris

Reaction score
So, I was wondering if anyone has yet found a way (or app) to save attachments from GMail to the SD card?

I've tried going through GMail and through Email and neither seem to do it (also tried OI File browser, as it claimed to add a Save option to other apps). The file is not one that can be opened by an app (like a pic, zip, or other), but something I would just like to save.

Any thoughts?

:motdroidhoriz:

Sidewind

Reaction score
WHen you see the attachment use your finger and press and hold the attachtment. a window will apear giving you option to copy attached to SD card

OP
X

Xris

Reaction score
WHen you see the attachment use your finger and press and hold the attachtment. a window will apear giving you option to copy attached to SD card

Tried that, doesn't work. All I get is a preview button, but of course there's nothing to open it.

kev83202

Reaction score
I have the same question, seems silly that you can't. I'm having 2 issues with email attachements

1. can't save from gmail, you can from a pop account.

2. My fax machine forwards to my email as .tif attachments, but I can't find a way to view them. Any know?

I like this phone a lot more than my Storm, but it did both of those things. I hope I can figure it out becouse I don't really want to go back to the storm :(

barryp3403

Reaction score
There is a program for Word, Excel and PDF files

If you send a Word, Excel or PDF document attached to your e-mail and you have the $30 version of DataViz "Documents to Go" you can touch "preview" next to the attachment, then select Documents to Go and you can save from there.
Two things to know:
1) You can't do this with the free version
2) I tried Docs to Go because I have used it on the palm and it is a great program but the spreadsheet data is all messed up on the Droid. I suspect this is a version issue with the current version working on Android 1.6 but not 2.0

I suspect you can also save text files and powerpoint docs with this program but I didn't try it in the short time I had the full version before I asked for a refund because of the issue with the spreadsheets.

kev83202

Reaction score
I think the documentstogo would work for the saving problem, but does anyone know how to open a .tif file?

barryp3403

Reaction score
If you can convert your TIFF to a JPG then that can be downloaded from GMail.

Also, FYI, the "documents to go" problem was fixed this evening and spread sheets now appear perfectly.

OP
X

Xris

Reaction score
The problem is there isn't an app to open the file that I can use to save.

Docs to go seems good, I'll probably pick it up, but in this specific instance, I'm dealing with a .nes file. It's a ROM for the NES emulator.

In an effort to be lazy and not go get my usb cable, I emailed the file to myself from my desktop, hoping to be able to save it to the SD and load it into Nesoid. This is where I ran into this roadblock :p

mcm180

Reaction score
I was able to dl a PDF w/0 docs2go. I opened up browser logged into gmail.com and bam (so silly that only preview option allowed in our gmail app )

DarrBeck

Reaction score
Yeah, not working here either. I can only preview from my gmail app and if I browse directly to gmail I can open/download it but not save.

I would also be ok with saving it to Google Documents and then using GDocs to open it!!!!!!!!!

HELP PLEASE

valnar

Reaction score
I agree. There is no way to just save an attachment to the Droid unless it's a .jpg or other such known extension. Anyone?

mitchb2

Reaction score
This is very annoying. I emailed myself a ringtone, simply assuming that I would be able to save the attachment as a ringtone, just like I was able to save a JPG attachment as a wallpaper.

barryp3403

Reaction score
If you have looked at the folders on your SD card you can see that specific programs seem to create and manage specific folders. Perhaps that is the reason you are best off only downloading those files that can be opened with a specific app. Otehrwise the SD card could become a tangled mess. On the other hand, I would prefer to be trusted to manage my own SD card but you can easily manage it only when you can see the folders - when the Droid is connected to your computer.

For moving over mp3's try DoubleTwist on your Mac or PC and hook up your Droid via the USB cable. It is a slight bit confusing at first but read some of the forums. It seems to be a very powerful program for managing audio, video and pictures on your Droid.
www.doubletwist.com

buenos

Reaction score
You can try offiviewer...if you just need to read and save....not bad app