Sapphire updater/toolkit

bhughesiii

Reaction score
UD has the UD Control Center, BB now has the BB Toolbox. Both of these allow to remove/reinstall system apps, make changes and what not. BB Toolkit even has an updater for when new releases are out. I would love to see something of that nature for sapphire. If I had any experience in developing apps I would totally be all over it.

What do y'all think?

OP
bhughesiii

bhughesiii

Reaction score
bugzilla ;-) features request... :)

cvp and i can't remember all of this stuff :p that's why it's there lol

OH I intend to make it a request, I just wanted to see other peoples opinions.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's an obvious yes.

dr2ww62

Reaction score
Yeah, would love to see an app with these features. I'm horrible at command line stuff because I don't have a mind for details. When I don't use them often, I forget the specific verbiage of commands and whatnot. I prefer gui interfaces. Plus I like shiny.

Would be sweet to see something that included a gui for running scripts, an interface for downloading updates, and a section for official themes. Sorta mimics some of the features of rom manager, but would eliminate the reliance on that tool and prevent nonsupported stuff from confusing people.

Also, then you could build in a feature for flashing new themes to flash the stock theme by default before flashing the new theme to prevent issues (as is recommended on the wiki).

If you don't get a feature request in for it I'll put one in a bit. Gotta run to a meeting right now, stupid work....

dakoop

Reaction score
It should be a requirement in any new rom. :)

roll3r

Reaction score
As long as it's optional, fine. Don't know anything about the toolboxes, updaters, etc that other ROMs are using, but I don't want my phone clogged with scripts that carry out the most basic of commands or change system settings based on the whim of whoever kanged the ROM together.

OP
bhughesiii

bhughesiii

Reaction score
As long as it's optional, fine. Don't know anything about the toolboxes, updaters, etc that other ROMs are using, but I don't want my phone clogged with scripts that carry out the most basic of commands or change system settings based on the whim of whoever kanged the ROM together.

Just talking about a graphical app that runs the scripts already included in the ROM (ex. rmapk browser). Plus any other "optional" items included. Like an alert when a new update is out along with the ability to download the new update. Or download themes or kernels for the ROM.

roll3r

Reaction score

Just talking about a graphical app that runs the scripts already included in the ROM (ex. rmapk browser). Plus any other "optional" items included. Like an alert when a new update is out along with the ability to download the new update. Or download themes or kernels for the ROM.

Like I said, as long as it's optional. I'd rather have developers like the Sapphire team concentrate on making a better ROM than one with more bells & whistles that *nobody* really needs.

I see these ROMs that list "features" like "with 150 scripts built right in!!" that automate tasks that can be done in ~2 seconds from adb or terminal emulator, like remove apks or switch your Nexus live wallpaper colors to one of 50 different options. Or scripts to "keep 100MB free at all times" that people run and don't understand what exactly is taking place by running said script, and then wonder why their music app "crashes."

And I don't need something that tells me that there's an update for my ROM. Why have another service running, eating up memory, to notify me of something that a) happens maybe once every week or two and b) I can check by looking at a website?