Samsung Unveils the Gear S Smartwatch and Smartphone Hybrid

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gear-s-official-3.jpg

Samsung just unveiled their newest smartwatch creation, the Gear S. Although this is technically not an Android device (because it is solely powered by Tizen), we still wanted to share it with because it is a very interesting mobile device.

What makes the Gear S stand out from the typical smartwatch is that this one also happens to be a smartphone. It actually comes with 3G support for making calls and sending texts. Even though this device can be utilized as its own smartphone, it can also still be connected through Bluetooth to your existing smartphone if you prefer.

Here's a breakdown of specs:
  • 2-inch Super AMOLED screen with 480 x 360 resolution
  • 1GHz dual-core processor
  • 512MB of RAM
  • 4GB of storage
  • Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth 4.1
  • Heart rate sensor
  • IP67 dust and water resistance certification
  • 300mAh battery
  • Tizen
We also have a few more pics of the device in the thread below. Sound off and let us know if having a smartphone on your wrist is something that appeals to you.

Here are more of those Gear S pics:

gear-s-official-1.jpg

gear-s-official-2.jpg

gear-s-official-3.jpg

gear-s-official-4.jpg

gear-s-official-5.jpg

gear-s-official-6.jpg

oh my word....... LOVE!!!
Curved display and I micro sd card.... WHAT!!!!!
EPIC!!!

So there's a market for people who want a separate line of service for their watch?

And 4GB of storage? What are you saving on your watch?

Tizen?

Perhaps this device just isn't for me. It's full of nonsense in my book.

It could work for someone to get this phone/watch and then a tablet for actually doing things on. It could be a valid replacement for a smart phone for someone that already has a tablet.

It could work for someone to get this phone/watch and then a tablet for actually doing things on. It could be a valid replacement for a smart phone for someone that already has a tablet.

It's 3G service on the watch and no mention of tethering capability. But maybe the Tizen app store could provide that capability... Just kidding. This watch is not the answer.

It's 3G service on the watch and no mention of tethering capability. But maybe the Tizen app store could provide that capability... Just kidding. This watch is not the answer.

If the tablet has it's own 4g connection there would be no worry about the watch only being 3g or not being able to tether.

Why would you do that? Wouldn't it just be better to get a phone and tether your other devices as necessary for connectivity? I'm actually laying on the beach and surfing the internet on my tablet that's tethered to my phone. Unless you just like paying for additional lines of service buying a 3/4G device beyond your phone just makes no sense to me.

@Dusty... I think what he is suggesting is replacing your phone with this watch, so you only have the watch and a tablet.

Back