Samsung to Take On Facebook With its Own Social Platform

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-sign.jpeg

Apparently, Samsung isn't content with simply integrating Facebook functionality with its smartphones. According to a new report, Samsung intends to start their own social network to compete with Facebook. This new network is codenamed, "Samsung Facebook," (how original...) and Samsung intends to tie it in with their existing devices and services. Samsung wants to create a social ecosystem on their own network amongst their own smartphones, cameras, and televisions. Here's a quote with some final details,

The company hasn’t decided on a name for the service yet, but is currently working on its Family Story system which will provide the framework. Family Story was first shown off at CES 2012, and is designed to share photos, reminders, and memos via Samsung smartphones and televisions.

Family Story will apparently be finished by the end of the year, with the service rolling out during the first quarter of 2013. Samsung officials speaking to The Korea Times said: “The eventual goal is to expand our social media service across different devices from different companies across different mobile platforms. That includes cameras, televisions and blue-ray [sic] players.”

Well now. That's a pretty lofty goal for Sammy... What do you guys think?

Source: SlashGear

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i am going out on a limb here and say .. it will fail..

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Ya, Google had the best chance...its Google. Samsung...not so much. The only edge they have is they have so many phones out there, but then again, those phones all run Android...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Samsung. Put this money towards R&D. Not a failed social network.

georgeo18yal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I'm intrigued Samsung...I'm intrigued to see how quickly it will fail. Anybody want to place bets on this? I say 3 months.

ExodusC

Reaction score
Why would anyone dump money into another social media platform attempt? I mean, Google arguably had the best chance, and while Google+ is doing okay, it obviously hasn't overtaken Facebook and Twitter.

It just seems like a waste of time, money, and resources on Samsung's part. They should be focusing elsewhere.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd do it - we have a Samsung TV, and blu-ray player. If that could help easily share photos, or videos, or whatever between the 3, I'd hop on it. I don't care about the social aspect of it, but just to be able to easily and seamlessly share between those devices would be cool.

But ultimately I'd tend to agree - it'll have some adoption, and could hang around just b/c it might not cost them too much, but ultimately won't go anywhere. Not everyone will have Samsung "everything", and the majority of people won't go buy all Samsung just for this service.

Well now. That's a pretty lofty goal for Sammy... What do you guys think?

TubeChop - Miracle Board Room Interview (00:09)

:tongue: