Facebook Working With HTC; Hired Apple Engineers to Create New Facebook Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-facebook-phone.jpg

A report from the New York Times seems to confirm previous rumors that Facebook is very serious about creating a Facebook-branded phone. The report also reveals additional details. Apparently, Facebook hired over half a dozen different software and hardware engineers from Apple to help them build this phone. The report suggests that Facebook will likely use a base core of Android, but will heavily modify it (similar to what Amazon did with the Kindle Fire), and will focus the phone around a Facebook theme. Facebook even recently opened up their own Android App store called App Center.

Previously we reported on rumors that Facebook may partner up with HTC in order to get the hardware launched. The source of this article suggests that Facebook intends to launch the phone before or around the beginning of next year. Investors have been wondering how Facebook will further monetize their service to generate revenue and profit. This could be a smart option for the social media giant.

Source: DroidMatters

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
Facebook is good and all but certainly not interested in any Facebook themed phone where I have to live in their garden.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Would anyone want a phone with a forever load screen feature built in?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Hey, maybe this phone will be a very high-end phone with an unlocked bootloader and a superb dev-friendly phone so after acquiring it you can completely get rid of all the FB crap and have a vanilla android experience or have CyanogenMod and all will be well again in the Android ecosystem! Whew! That was a mouthfull.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've been wondering If/when this would happen. I'm on Facebook and all, but I will not be buying one of these.

Come on fighter!!!!

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey, maybe this phone will be a very high-end phone with an unlocked bootloader and a superb dev-friendly phone so after acquiring it you can completely get rid of all the FB crap and have a vanilla android experience or have CyanogenMod and all will be well again in the Android ecosystem! Whew! That was a mouthfull.

They hired Apple engineers. Expect it to be locked down. Lol. And I fully expect this to not be high-end. Probably a low end to average phone. The people who want Facebook phones aren't exactly techies.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
They hired Apple engineers. Expect it to be locked down. Lol. And I fully expect this to not be high-end. Probably a low end to average phone. The people who want Facebook phones aren't exactly techies.

Yeah, I know. Doesn't hurt to be optimistic. Lol

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a dumb idea. There, I said it.

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
Facebook can't create an app that works properly and they want to create a phone? No thanks.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is a dumb idea. There, I said it.

Actually its a brilliant idea. They have not been able to monetize via their FB app/ mobile platform. They are partnering with Opera so this will enable them to push those ads via the mobile browser. No more FB app on their phone. Smart move in my opinion.