Google, Facebook, Dell & Many More Tech Giants Sign Court Doc Supporting Samsung Against Apple

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
michael_myers_vs_jason-avs.jpg

And here we thought the Apple vs. Samsung court case was basically finished... It turns out it's like a monster in a horror movie that just won't die.

A large array of tech titans have penned a "friend of the court" briefing which supports Samsung against Apple in yet another appeal of the patent court case. Companies like Google, Facebook, HP, DELL, eBay & more all signed on to the document which is basically a protest of the way the court awarded "profit" damages in the Apple vs. Samsung case.

The initial ruling in the case was north of $1 billion, but the amount was later reduced to $548 million during a previous appeal. Samsung has filed a motion to completely reverse the overall decision. The argument in the "friend of the court" briefing contends that if the court orders Samsung to turn over total profits as damages, the legal precedent would eventually lead to stifled innovation, because it would open the door to more egregious lawsuits in the future.

The snowball effect they propose is that this would reduce incentives for various tech companies to invest in research & development. Their argument is that the damage result of this case doesn't make sense because complex technology like smartphones include thousands of different software and hardware components. By awarding total device profits damage based upon individual component infringements (as Samsung is being ordered to do in this case), any tech innovator would be vulnerable to patent infringement cases for the tiniest features, like a specific user interface creation that only appears on a single screen of an app.

Here is another example they gave,

“Under the panel’s reasoning, the manufacturer of a smart television containing a component that infringed any single design patent could be required to pay in damages its total profit on the entire television, no matter how insignificant the design of the infringing feature was to the manufacturer’s profit or to consumer demand.“

Apple has requested Google's involvement in the briefing be dismissed since its Android operating system is used on Samsung’s handsets. Samsung has also asked the court to rehear the case with a full 12-judge roster rather than the 3-judge panel it used previously.

Disclaimer: The above image is intended as humor to fit the story. It is not meant to suggest that these companies are like horror movie monsters. The analogy might fit their legal teams though! :D

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Actually I don't really hate Apple all that much over this (although I do hate their litigate first attitude). It I could get away with getting a patent on a rectangle with rounded corners why would I not do that. The real evil here is that the patent office has no idea what they are doing at least techno wise.

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
<rant>

Apple just wants to be #1 to be #1. Not for the consumer, or any REAL technological advances, but JUST so they can be #1.

Apple came up with the idea of different icons on one screen, arranged in a grid? YEAH RIGHT!!!!! Lets look back through history at EVERYTHING that was different and organized in a grid pattern in one place.....300 years ago selling produce on the streets (melons, bananas, oranges, grapes. All in a grid pattern. Notice I left out "apples". Pretty slick, huh? lol). Pictures hanging on walls in people homes? Yep, in a grid! How about the way bricks are laid down in streets? Oh, wait, same thing, GRIDS!

Then came the whole business about Apple "creating" rectangles with round corners. NOTHING NEW! Kitchen tables, mousepads, computer cases, TV screens, food trays, dishes.....the list goes on. Heck, even CARS are rectangular with round corners!!!!!!!!!! (bet you never thought of that one, huh!) Round corners are more of a SAFETY design, than an aesthetic design.

Apple has fallen behind in the game because they are too concerned about making money, NOT innovating! The ONLY advancement Apple has made in YEARS?.....A BIGGER SCREEN! And FAR too late, too. Big screens have been around for several years already. Apple is a failing company. The only reason they are still alive is because those die-hard, stubborn iFans, just "HAVE" to have an Apple product. Why? Because its APPLE! LOL

</rant>

But, my ranting aside, its about time every REAL manufacturer and innovator got together, and slung poo at Apple.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You gotta switch this...vorhees must represent Android..cause he'd so win..

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You gotta switch this...vorhees must represent Android..cause he'd so win..
I figured someone would make this comment. :D

We'll have to agree to disagree. The Shape (Myer's nickname from the first movie) would eventually outlast Vorhees. lol!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm sick of all of these patent wars. There don't seem to be as many going on as there was at one point a few years back, but they're ridiculous.

Maybe, instead of whining and trying to scrape money off the top of your competitors' profits, you should do something to make people want to buy your product more.

I remember a few years back when it seemed like every one of these companies was suing another one. Enough is enough. I have to agree a bit with @chevycam94, though I can't just say that apple is the only one who's money-grubbing.

I get it. These are businesses. Businesses are out to make money. But do it with innovation instead of litigation. If you put the time into R&D that you pay for in legal fees, maybe you'd come up with something truly innovative that would turn the tide. Tout how you were the one to do something first, sure, but don't make it a legal battle, especially since you put out commercials with your "new" features that have been around forever. "Panorama assist"!? That's a new feature just a couple years ago!? Are you kidding me!? My Droid X had that feature. You're not doing anything new, so quit suing other companies for doing the same things you're doing and do something better.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Patent wars have been going on since the late 1800s. Until they reform patent rules & regulations, (which I don't see happening anytime soon) nothing will change and the consumer is the one who will continue to suffer.

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I figured someone would make this comment. :D

We'll have to agree to disagree. The Shape (Myer's nickname from the first movie) would eventually outlast Vorhees. lol!
How do you outlast something that regenerates??? This conversation has been all over the net as of late..the problem..any movie would leave one side or the other, very ticked .aka Freddy vs Jason..lol

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do you outlast something that regenerates??? This conversation has been all over the net as of late..the problem..any movie would leave one side or the other, very ticked .aka Freddy vs Jason..lol
I wouldn't be ticked by any outcome because it's just silly and funny. ;)

I could argue that The Shape also regenerates, so it comes down to which one has the more powerful healing factor. It could also depend on which one could potentially outsmart the other by creating a situation that the other can't regenerate from (like a pool of acid, dropped in a volcano, dismembered with parts separated and spread across the globe, etc.). Another theory I have seen is that Michael Myers is simply the vessel for a supernatural force. This makes The Shape ephemeral and capable of returning in other forms, hence it could simply "outlast" by proxy.

Alternatively, if you follow this all the way down the rabbit hole, they could both be driven by the same evil force, which makes the confrontation as silly as the argument.

Ultimately, any argument is valid, because it's all just subjective and predicated on fiction anyway.

Now... if you add Freddy into the mix, then all bets are off! He would find a way to take them both out! lmao! :D

Seriously though... you bringing up the argument between the two antagonists nailed the main point I was trying to make in relation to the article: the whole fight between Apple and Samsung is silly and has gone on too long. It's like some bad horror movie that won't go away. How many versions of the Halloween and Friday the 13th movies have there been? How many times will we see the Apple v Samsung case go to appellate courts before they finally conclude it?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I agree..fiction but freddy vs jason opened up a mew level of..."WHAT??? NO WAY!!!!" ..I have a feeling a Myers vs vorhees movie would too..evil incarnate vs evil incarnate...be fun to watch though

Oh...but to add a wrinkle to this..I am glad I was able to make your point...I kinda thought that's where you were going..(I have moments of clarity LOL) but this is the year of the slasher ...they're all coming back in 15-16...so the Sam/apple thing may too??

And you're right...learnin is fun...with Freddy ;)

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Apple is getting paid regardless of whether or not these other companies join in the fray. This is America. America has made it very clear (all the way up to the POTUS) that they have and will always favor Apple vs Anybody/Everybody.

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apple is getting paid regardless of whether or not these other companies join in the fray. This is America. America has made it very clear (all the way up to the POTUS) that they have and will always favor Apple vs Anybody/Everybody.
Which makes them initiating frivolous lawsuits all the more nerve wracking.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree..fiction but freddy vs jason opened up a mew level of..."WHAT??? NO WAY!!!!" ..I have a feeling a Myers vs vorhees movie would too..evil incarnate vs evil incarnate...be fun to watch though

Oh...but to add a wrinkle to this..I am glad I was able to make your point...I kinda thought that's where you were going..(I have moments of clarity LOL) but this is the year of the slasher ...they're all coming back in 15-16...so the Sam/apple thing may too??

And you're right...learnin is fun...with Freddy ;)
Welcome to prime time, b****!!! lolz! :D

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to prime time, b****!!! lolz! :D
And the ever present....I'm not afraid of you!!! Some of the worst acting was in 4 and 5 lol