Samsung S6 audio makes stuttering noise

kristywng

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S6
I have a less than 1 y/o Samsung S6... Still in warranty. No water damage.

Sometimes (25% of the time) when I play audio from Twitter, Youtube, Netflix etc. the audio will start stuttering. It sounds like someone is putting their finger on the speaker, taking it away quickly and repeating.

If I turn the volume up or down, the problem still persists. I have to keep letting the audio go and after ~30 secs it goes back to normal. If I pause what I'm playing and then press play again, the audio is normal for only a few seconds.

Any solutions? Samsung told me to wipe cache partition...did that, no success.
Has this happened to anyone?

If I can't figure it out, I'll have to get it fixed. Thanks in advance!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Stuttering audio as you describe, where the sound pauses or stops briefly and repeatedly can be caused by a number of things. Since it's limited to streaming audio only, my first inclination is to relate it to interruptions in the stream caused by a poor data connection. Assuming you are streaming wirelessly, like any streaming data source, whether audio or even more critically video it is dependent on three primary functions all operating efficiently together to assure continued, uninterrupted playing.

First you need to have a good, stable and high speed data connection. This means a strong signal, either WiFi or cellular through which the data is able to flow quickly and free of any breaks in the data stream due to signal loss or poor signal quality. If your internet service provider or cellular service provider is having any communication problems, system service interruptions or stalling, you will in turn suffer this stuttering you describe.

Second, the device itself must be running efficiently, meaning it has sufficient memory available, and there are no apps running that are tying up the processor and preventing it from devoting the necessary processing power and clock cycles to receive, process, decode and play the audio or video. Part of receiving and playing streaming media is the ability for the app to create a buffer of stored data in advance so that very minor interruptions of the data stream can be bridged or filled in and allow the media to continue essentially uninterrupted to your ears and/or eyes. Having a sufficient buffer is the app's job but it depends on the device having the necessary storage available and running efficiently in order to do so, as well as a good data connection to receive the stream fast.

Making sure you have as few apps running in the background can help. Also making sure your device is free of any spyware or other undesirable rogue apps is crucial. Often simply restarting the phone can resolve some or all of what is causing this issue. You should also uninstall any apps you are not using and don't need, as well backing up and deleting pictures, videos and data files that are not necessarily needed on a daily basis on your device. This frees up valuable space on your device that allows the device to better manage the data stream.

Third, the source can often be the problem. I've found that the same audio or video from one source plays without interruption where in other sources the data is choppy. If the source is either being hosted on an inferior server or it is being overburdened by other users at a particular time you can suffer the stuttering described. Try to find the media you're listening to from another source or service, either within the app you're already using or with a different app or service. You may find not only a better streaming source but also you may discover an even higher quality audio or video that also plays without any interruptions. Often the higher quality streams are hosted on much more robust servers with larger data pipelines designed to handle the greater data streams, giving you a perfect or near perfect media experience.

The fact that you mention the problem eventually rights itself as well as that your pausing and restarting seems to resolve it at least temporarily, points to a buffering issue in my opinion but it could be other causes as mentioned. Anything that in any way impedes the data flow or processing can result in buffering issues. I would start out by rebooting the phone and see if that helps. If it does that may point to one or more apps running in the background as the problem. It may also point to a shortage of free memory. Try uninstalling and deleting unnecessary apps and data and see if that resolves the problem. Finally, take note of your signal strength and see if lower signal levels coincide with the stuttering. It may be simply repositioning the device or relocating within a building to gain a better signal for instance, results in the media stream interruptions going away.

Good luck and let us know what your findings are.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: