Another Samsung Galaxy S6 is Coming; Specs for the Galaxy S6 Active are Leaked

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-logo-wet.jpg

Now it sort-of makes sense (although is a bit irritating) why the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge are not waterproof like the Galaxy S5 was. Apparently, Samsung decided to take a step back and offer an Active version of their new flagship like they used to do. According to the latest leaked intel, Samsung plans to offer a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active and we even have the leaked specs to share:
  • 5.1 Quad HD AMOLED display
  • 14-nm Exynos processor
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB storage
  • 16-megapixel / 5-megapixel camera combo
  • Dimensions: 73.6 x 146.9 x 8.8 mm, (compared to the 70.5 x 143.4 x 6.8 mm of the regular Galaxy S6)
  • 3,500 mAh, (which is a whopping 1,00 mAh jump from the regular Galaxy S6)
  • Rugged body with dust and water resistant properties
So, as we can see, if this rumor turns out to be true, Sammy decided to use the water-proofing as a marketing gimmick to offer a different version of the device. The initial model number leaked was SM-G890A, which means it will come to AT&T first. We still have no idea what the outer design will look like for the Galaxy S6 Active, but we will keep you updated as we find out more.

Here's our dedicated Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: SamMobile

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
They didn't "take a step back and offer an Active version of their new flagship like they used to do." Samsung released a Galaxy S5 Active that's available on AT&T and Sprint (dubbed the S5 Sport on Sprint). They've been doing it regularly each year since the S4, so this shouldn't surprise anyone. It's a regular part of their product cycle now.

And I disagree that they decided to use water resistance as a gimmick here. Water resistance isn't a gimmick. It's very useful. As for saving it as a marketing tool for this variant, chances are the S6 Active will be made of different materials than the S6. It's far more difficult to make a water resistant device using the materials used for the S6 and S6 Edge. More people will be interested in the new hotness that is the S6 and the S6 Edge, not a bulkier Active variant. Like the S4 Active and S5 Active, the interest in a more utilitarian device will come from a much smaller subset of users out there.

The only thing that's surprising to me is the larger battery. If that ends up being true, it's a welcome addition. It will be nice to see them using the added bulk of the device to increase the battery.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just wish they'd announce everything at once. If I bought an S6 and THEN this was announced, like they did with the S4, I'd be upset. I'd much rather have an Active.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They didn't "take a step back and offer an Active version of their new flagship like they used to do." Samsung released a Galaxy S5 Active that's available on AT&T and Sprint (dubbed the S5 Sport on Sprint). They've been doing it regularly each year since the S4, so this shouldn't surprise anyone. It's a regular part of their product cycle now.

And I disagree that they decided to use water resistance as a gimmick here. Water resistance isn't a gimmick. It's very useful. As for saving it as a marketing tool for this variant, chances are the S6 Active will be made of different materials than the S6. It's far more difficult to make a water resistant device using the materials used for the S6 and S6 Edge. More people will be interested in the new hotness that is the S6 and the S6 Edge, not a bulkier Active variant. Like the S4 Active and S5 Active, the interest in a more utilitarian device will come from a much smaller subset of users out there.

The only thing that's surprising to me is the larger battery. If that ends up being true, it's a welcome addition. It will be nice to see them using the added bulk of the device to increase the battery.
You misunderstand my meaning regarding water resistance as a gimmick. I mean they decided to use it as a means of making the Active more attractive. It was also probably too tough/expensive for them to make the non-Active versions water/dust resistant without bulkier designs that folks who are into the Active-style phones will appreciate.

Also, I didn't remember they made an "Active" version of the Galaxy S5. They didn't advertise it much, and it seems like a waste considering the vanilla S5 was water and dust resistance. Basically they were competing with themselves a bit, and going back to the "Active" line being exclusively water-proof was the marketing "gimmick."

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I would much rather have the Larger Battery than the cheesy glass backing and thinner Model. I love how my Droid Turbo has a Nice 3,900 mAh Battery. I really would like the S6 Edge with the Larger Battery. Next with be a S6 Model with a MicroSD Card Edition. That will really Burn anyone that gets any others

crispykremess

Reaction score
This should respond to the calling of the few for a long standing battery life. How about adding a Micro-SD slot? I'm curious if Sammy is even considering that. It would be great then if they can present the consumers with different choice for the New Flagship Galaxy S6 lines. Sammy juiced it up!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Galaxy S6 Active will have the removable battery, microSD card and plastic body...

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I am Really not liking the Idea of the Glass Backing. I remember seeing So many Cracked iPhones and thought it was a Terrible Design. The ones that I didnt see cracked were in Cases so what is the sense since you dont see it. Maybe the will make a S6 Edge Active

Howardmgm3

Reaction score
Will this S6 Active eventually be available on Verizon also? I see no S5 Active on Verizon.