Samsung Proclaim - phone spammed by verizon-blocking mobile network!!

willy_bill

Reaction score
OK, so I have had this phone for nearly a year. I have used foxfi for tethering/hotspot. Hotspot mainly. Never any problems. Yesterday I was looking for a new hotspot app since foxfi cuts you off after ten minutes now,

and apparently one of the hotspot apps I tried screwed up my phone. Now, I cannot get on the internet on my phone without it going to that dunsp.vzw.com/newselfpubl... website. Never seen that before until right
after I installed one of those free hotspot apps. Now I cannot even connect to google play on my phone because it says no connection. I can't get on the internet at all, other than the site above, and I when I try to
connect foxfi it says no network available/no internet detected, even when I have like 3 bars of 3G which is what I have always had when using it before. What can I do to get my phone back like it was before? There are some apps I can see installed that look like they could be a part of this, wifi-toggle, or wifi sharing app,...but the option to uninstall them is always in grey and unavailable. Should I just do a full factory reset and see if that helps? Please give me some help if you can. Thanks guys.

Phone is not rooted, not real sure what that means.

UPDATE ..........................

After spending considerable time on the phone with CS, we did the following to try to solve this problem:

We did a hard reset by holding volume up,down and power key all at the same time until android jumped out of the box. The hidden menu allowed us to choose reset all/factory reset. I did that, restarted, dialed*22890, and then tried to get my browser to work, but it went right back to the verizon referral page I mentioned above. They said everything was set up correctly on their end. They're talking about sending me a new phone. My case is going to supervisor, and if they can't come up with a solution in 24 hours, I guess I'll get a new phone. In the mean time, I am internet free (except at work).

Be weary which hotspot apps you download. I know it was one of those that did this to me. Someone on that app review even mentioned that after they did it they had this problem, but there were so many positive reviews that I went ahead with it. I wish I hadn't.

Last edited:

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Sorry willy_bill, I can't answer your question, though I would think a factory reset would cure what ails you.

As for your tether/hotspot query, I've found that the $6.97 FoxFi version works beautifully. Also, PDAnet (for a nominal fee) also continues to work like a charm if you want to tether and charge your device at the same time. Generally a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes with knowing it works.