Samsung patents new bezel-less design

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
samsung-bezel-less-jpg.77829

The full screen design craze has gotten to the point where displays have covered all the blank bezels and are now pushing up against functional elements like the front camera. The patent drawings show the display coming right up to the edge of the phone with a small cutout to leave room for the front camera, earpiece and assorted sensors. The cutout doesn’t seems as extreme as Essential’s or even the iPhone’s.

Continue Reading @ gsmarena

Attachments

• samsung-bezel-less.jpg
    samsung-bezel-less.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,750

jesskoh

Reaction score
Does it not look like the iPhone 8 AMOLED?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
They will all look the same soon... Mate 10 also going bezeless

Sent using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's the new craze Pere, seems to be the new trend

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Coming soon to a cellular store near you; the phone you can't hold anywhere without touching multiple control surfaces! Good luck doing anything! Want to hand your phone to someone else while the screen is on? Too bad; you can't! As soon as they touch it, they've hit a control and changed the screen.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Coming soon to a cellular store near you; the phone you can't hold anywhere without touching multiple control surfaces! Good luck doing anything! Want to hand your phone to someone else while the screen is on? Too bad; you can't! As soon as they touch it, they've hit a control and changed the screen.

actually that is already happening with my note 5. I am all the time, opening something or closing something when picking up the phone when on :) almost as bad as changing watch face on my watch when crossing my arms.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still hoping for the flip phone fad to come back :D

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I will start the flip phone trend again.. My idea you have a larger phone with detachable mod turns to flip phone...

Sent using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
not sure if I like the cutout for the camera. maybe I should patent an inscreen camera :)

I've thought the same. Except the rest of that around the cutout is basically just the status bar, so to me it's actually a good use of space.

As for issues with false touches because of the lack of bezel, I assume that could be handled with palm rejection software. That will probably be conspicuously absent in the first generations of these - despite the fact the tech already exists - so that you're sufficiently annoyed to upgrade when the second gen comes out with palm rejection.

Would be nice to a 5" bezel-less display that's perfect for one-handed use....but, of course, we'll probably see nothing below 5.7".

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I've thought the same. Except the rest of that around the cutout is basically just the status bar, so to me it's actually a good use of space.

As for issues with false touches because of the lack of bezel, I assume that could be handled with palm rejection software. That will probably be conspicuously absent in the first generations of these - despite the fact the tech already exists - so that you're sufficiently annoyed to upgrade when the second gen comes out with palm rejection.

Would be nice to a 5" bezel-less display that's perfect for one-handed use....but, of course, we'll probably see nothing below 5.7".
I like the use of space as well... No issues with false touches on my S8+ but I agree technology will improve... Also be nice to see that smaller full screen for those that like smaller phones.. I think that is where Apple going bezeless will help as this upcoming phone is between the current sizes.. Now if they are successful maybe the smaller phone comes out bezeless and more follow...

Sent using Tapatalk