Samsung Galaxy Tab available for pre-order

J

JohnDroid

If you are just dying to get your hands on one of the first Samsung Galaxy Tab's available then look no further then CellHut.com - They've got a pre-order going on for them. The price is much steeper then I had hoped at $699 however which appears to be $100 off the retail price.

We've seen them for sale via Amazon's UK site but this is the first US price we've seen. The link is here: Unlocked Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab (Unlocked Quadband) GSM Cell Phone

This is an unlocked device as well, so you'll be able to use it with any carrier that you can make it work with... and keep in mind this is a Quadband unit, so its pretty well going to work on most carriers. At this price level I'm going to guess that "subsidized" units will come in at $399.

Thanks to Neo4uo for the tip! Discuss it more in the Samsung Galaxy Tab Forum.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmm....now I see why we prefer the carrier-subsidized model for wireless devices. Seems like the Samsung folks could have done a but more consumer focus-grouping, and tested the market on such a steep entry-level price. I don't have the iPad prices on hand, but I suspect--feature for feature--it's a decent price. But I'm pretty sure that if Android tabs don't come in with more features and lower prices, it ain't gonna happen. It's a pretty inauspicious start.

I guess we can reevaluate when the wifi-only models hit the street.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
PS I just can't imagine that the subsidized price will be $399. $299 maybe, but how many phones are $199? Remember, the whole point of subsidizing is to get the device out there cheaply, and then charge for consuming bandwidth and content.

My prediction is that $399 will be the long-run UNSUBSIDIZED price for an mid-level tablet in this market--maybe Q1 2011. Samsung is just shooting too high on this one. For sure there are half a dozen competitors (HP, Microsoft, Dell, Toshiba, Asus, etc.) who will offer very comparable specs for $100s less.

-Matt

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
This is obviously early adopter pricing. There are at least 3 more tablets hitting the market by November, so the price for this will drop like a rock soon. Besides that, a lot of people are waiting for a wifi only model and that tends to be less expensive also.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is obviously early adopter pricing. There are at least 3 more tablets hitting the market by November, so the price for this will drop like a rock soon. Besides that, a lot of people are waiting for a wifi only model and that tends to be less expensive also.
I get the "early adopter" strategy in general...but is this one of those heavily-marketed, must-have toys? Don't you think Apple ended up looking silly when they dropped the price on the first iPhone just after it released? Maybe we're all used to that now (I was stunned how fast the Droid1 fell). Maybe the marketing division views it as a necessary release tactic (throw off competitors)? I just figure if they started off with aggressive pricing, they could use their short window of time a bit more usefully.

I also haven't seen any signs that the Galaxy will be wifi only. I'd definitely give it a second look if so.

-Matt

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
No I haven't seen a wifi only variant. But, other makers are coming to the table with them in the fall. Personally I think having a cell plan for a tablet is dumb, especially if you can turn your phone into a hotspot. I'm definately in the market for one, but I'm not paying a dime over $400, and there's no way I'm opening up a cell plan for one. The other companies need to get their head out of their *** or else they'll have an uphill battle for this market too. There are ALOT of people looking to score a tablet (specifically, an iPad) for the holidays this year.

rcjames

Reaction score
Oh no for a damn tablet should be less then a netbook when it comes to prices. Tablet isn't a full blown pc as a netbook. What the heck.

sranger

Reaction score
I have a bad feeling that they baned Google Search on this device. You may wna tto find this answer before you buy one.....

It looks to have way too much VCrap software on it....

amojeba

Reaction score
I bet they still won't have GPS fixed on it. They're "working" on it....whatever the f*ck that means. Really? Galaxy line has been released since July now.
Glad I avoided Samsung and went with the Droid X. I'm loving the DX.

mtz_gto

Reaction score
lol Imagin holding that thing to your face to make a phone call after your bluetooth dies.. haha :)