Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 Now Available for Pre-Order; 16GB for $470 & 32GB for $570

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-tab-89-preorder-bestbuy-sept-2011.jpg

Perhaps the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 wasn't on Apple's "hit-list" so it appears that Samsung will release it soon. It is already available for pre-order from Best Buy. You can get the 16Gb version for $469.99 and the 32GB version for only $100 bucks more. This one is situated squarely between the original 7-Inch tab and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, both in size and in price. Of course, this one is a big improvement over the 7-inch version primarily because of Honeycomb and the 1GHz dual-core processor. Here's a refresher of the specs on this device:
  • 8.9-inch WXGA display
  • Android 3.1 Honeycomb
  • 1GHz Dual-core Processor with 1GB of RAM
  • 16GB or 32GB Storage Varieties
Best Buy's website hasn't indicated a firm launch date, but it usually is within a week or two of the pre-order start, so it can't be long now.

Source: GalaxyForums.net and GalaxyTabForums.net via BGR and Best Buy

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
These tablet prices are just so discouraging. I understand it's "new" technology but the specs come no where close to warranting the price tag.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
These tablet prices are just so discouraging. I understand it's "new" technology but the specs come no where close to warranting the price tag.
You know, I've made the argument elsewhere (tablets <> netbooks) but let's not rehash. ;) Anyway, as a new tactic I thought "let's look at some teardowns and bills of material!"

Unfortunately, I couldn't find much. The only decent teardown was iSuppli's job on the old 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab (which is not a strong example) at about $200. I think we all agree that more recent tabs -- especially the gorgeous 10.1 new Galaxy Tab -- should cost more. (There was also an Iconia teardown, but it was just a "what the insides look like" job.)

But think about it for a moment: $200+ for materials, then add manufacturing, marketing, development. I have no idea what the margin is on an Android tablet in an increasingly-crowded market, but it wouldn't surprise me that final wholesale cost is upwards of $300. If that's true I somehow don't see tablets for selling at $320 or $350. And though I don't like those prices much I have to admit if I owned the factory I'd argue it was a fair price.

Anyway, don't forget those new Samsung prices are for early adopters! By November they'll be a LOT closer to $400.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Why would I not buy a Samsung 10.1" for $30 more? Fail.
You'll pay the early-adopter price to be the first on your block -> win. :) So you can ride the subway/bus and people can say "ZOMG WHAT is THAT???" (I always love how reviews just come out and say, "Yeah everyone at work is totally jealous! People stop me all the time. I'm a ROCK STAR!")

Give it a month and the price will settle in between 7" and 10.1" prices.

-Matt