Samsung Galaxy S5 Screen Display Suddenly Not Working

RoryOC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I was watching a movie on my Samsung Galaxy S5 the other day when suddenly my phone screen went black. I tried to turn it back on, but of course that didn't work. After closer inspection I noticed that the phone was actually still powered on and functional, as the LED lights at the bottom of the phone were still lit up, and vibrated upon use. I was still able to hear noise coming from my phone, and felt it vibrate when I touched certain parts of the screen, indicating that I was actually performing actions.

Considering the fact that I am not able to navigate my device considering the lack of display, the only way to power it off is by taking out the battery, then powering it on again. Once again, I'm greeted with the AT&T boot up sound effect, but the only thing that happens to the screen is a quick white flicker upon turning it on.

I don't want to have to buy another phone, but the simple fixes that I've attempted have failed to work. For example, taking the battery out and holding the power button for 2 minutes, then leaving the phone alone for 10 minutes. I find this to be completely absurd considering the fact that I literally did not do anything to negatively affect the phone, and it just kicked the bucket on me. I'm currently without phone service, so I haven't been able to contact any Android Tech Support numbers in the past few days. Is it worth trying to do so to see if they could possibly replace the phone considering their hardware was faulty? If not, are there any other known fixes to this issue? Should I take it to an AT&T store or a phone repair store? I'm simply looking for my best option here.

Thanks.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum @RoryOC! Sorry to hear about your S5. That's a bummer!
Can you provide us with a little more information? How long have you had the device? Have you dropped your S5 recently? Have you downloaded any apps recently? And finally, what service where you using to watch said video? (via a website, YouTube, Netflix?)
Hang in there. We'll do our best to help you resolve this problem.

S5 tap'n

OP
R

RoryOC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Welcome to the forum @RoryOC! Sorry to hear about your S5. That's a bummer!
Can you provide us with a little more information? How long have you had the device? Have you dropped your S5 recently? Have you downloaded any apps recently? And finally, what service where you using to watch said video? (via a website, YouTube, Netflix?)
Hang in there. We'll do our best to help you resolve this problem.

S5 tap'n

If I remember correctly, I was using Youtube at the time. No, I have not dropped my S5 recently at all, yet the screen is very mildly cracked (barely noticeable at all, incredibly doubtful that it would insure hardware damage.) I've had the device for roughly a year and a half I believe. No I have not downloaded any apps recently. However, I do have some apps that I could consider shady, but I've had them for an extensive amount of time with no noticeable drawbacks (i.e. Free Music Downloader, AZ Screen Recorder)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Hmmm, this is a tough one. Aside from the cracked screen, I'm really not sure what could be causing this. I can tell you though that they won't replace the phone for you due to "faulty hardware", simply due to the fact that the screen is cracked. It doesn't matter if it's a hairline crack or a spider web, that in itself is not considered faulty hardware.
The crack is more than likely connected to your screen issues so your only real options here are to pay your deductible & file an insurance claim for a replacement (if you purchased the additional insurance), or take it to a cell phone repair center near you and have them check it out & replace the screen if need be.
Sorry I can't offer you better news than that, but the cracked screen, no matter how noticeable, can allow moisture to get in and corrode vital components over time, eventually causing the problem you're currently experiencing.
Perhaps someone else will have thought of something I may have missed.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hmmm, this is a tough one. Aside from the cracked screen, I'm really not sure what could be causing this. I can tell you though that they won't replace the phone for you due to "faulty hardware", simply due to the fact that the screen is cracked. It doesn't matter if it's a hairline crack or a spider web, that in itself is not considered faulty hardware.
The crack is more than likely connected to your screen issues so your only real options here are to pay your deductible & file an insurance claim for a replacement (if you purchased the additional insurance), or take it to a cell phone repair center near you and have them check it out & replace the screen if need be.
Sorry I can't offer you better news than that, but the cracked screen, no matter how noticeable, can allow moisture to get in and corrode vital components over time, eventually causing the problem you're currently experiencing.
Perhaps someone else will have thought of something I may have missed.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n
@cr6 I think you covered it quite thoroughly. A sudden failure as you describe is almost definitely a failed screen or failed driver chip. Either could be caused by the screen crack and moisture, even just the moisture and oils from your fingers. Corrosion causes contacts to break or to short together.

I seriously doubt it is caused by an app installed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6