Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S5 about to enjoy the Android 4.4.4 update

annabelanwen

Reaction score
News Source : http://www.smartphonestutorials.com/verizon-released-latest-android-kit-kat-4-4-4-galaxy-s5/

I have exciting and good news for the Samsung Galaxy S5 users on the Verizon carrier. They are about to get the latest Android 4.4.4 Kit Kat update on their smart phones which will fix up the audio issues which they might be facing due Bluetooth. This update will be received on the phone’s OTA and will exhibit a hefty weigh of 346MB. It is expected that there will not be any major modifications in this latest update which is definitely not so surprising. This is because of the fact that the Android 4.4.3 is meant for fixing bugs while Android 4.4.4 majorly fixes the security issues.

Though Verizon has not officially released the change log but it seems some end users have accidentally received it on their Galaxy S5. Those who received it, notified that their issues with Bluetooth have fixed. It is also notified by one of the Galaxy S5 user that after he updated his phone, he was asked to sign up for free visual voice mail service.

For those Verizon Galaxy S5 users who have still not received the update on their phones, it is advised to keep an eye on the arrival of this update by keeping connected with the Wi-Fi connection. You should keep your phone connected to the Wi-Fi while you are downloading and installing this latest Android update. Also, keep your battery charged at least up to 50% before you finally start the process of updating on your phone.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I installed the update yesterday on my phone. Here's a few of the changes I've noticed:

- Overall, the phone feels a little bit snappier.

- The fingerprint scanner works better.

- The camera app opens faster and is more responsive overall. They've also added an option in the settings to turn the shutter sound off (something that was removed from the Verizon version of the phone previously).

- Smart remote has been redesigned, and I'm not a fan.

- We now get free Basic Visual Voicemail. You'll be prompted to install it with a notification. I use Google Voice, so I didn't want it, but in order to get the notification to stop popping up, I had to go through the steps to install it. I then made sure Google Voice was still set up as my voicemail on the phone (which it was). One thing to keep in mind - when you install it, you automatically get a 30 free trial of Premium Visual Voicemail. I cancelled it from within the voicemail app to avoid Verizon possibly charging me for it after 30 days.

Last edited:

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I noticed that the WiFi and Data are on at the same time after the update. I called Verizon Tech Support. They are saying that it is part of the Update. It is part of VOLTE.(Voice over LTE). They said as long as the arrows are not flashing under the 4G and the arrows are flashing under WiFi it is fine. When I had this problem last week before the update Both WiFi and Data was running at the same time. It was the caller ID App. After that was removed the 4G faded out while using WiFi. I will watch my Data just to make sure.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I noticed that the WiFi and Data are on at the same time after the update. I called Verizon Tech Support. They are saying that it is part of the Update. It is part of VOLTE.(Voice over LTE). They said as long as the arrows are not flashing under the 4G and the arrows are flashing under WiFi it is fine. When I had this problem last week before the update Both WiFi and Data was running at the same time. It was the caller ID App. After that was removed the 4G faded out while using WiFi. I will watch my Data just to make sure.
It makes sense with VoLTE. Thanks for the info.

WTF??

Reaction score
- Overall, the phone feels a little bit snappier.

- The camera app opens faster and is more responsive overall. They've also added an option in the settings to turn the shutter sound off (something that was removed from the Verizon version of the phone previously).

These are awesome updates I was looking forward to... my user icon says it all

- We now get free Basic Visual Voicemail. You'll be prompted to install it with a notification. I use Google Voice, so I didn't want it, but in order to get the notification to stop popping up, I had to go through the steps to install it. I then made sure Google Voice was still set up as my voicemail on the phone (which it was). One thing to keep in mind - when you install it, you automatically get a 30 free trial of Premium Visual Voicemail. I cancelled it from within the voicemail app to avoid Verizon possibly charging me for it after 30 days.

Good to know... thanks for the tips... I'll be doing the same thing

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm loving the update so far. The fingerprint scanner does seem to be a bit more accurate. I think it helps that I switched to the new Otterbox Symmetry series that has nothing blocking the bottom of the home button. Maybe it's just me, but I might be getting a little better battery life as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Didn't fix the audio drop-outs over Bluetooth for me :(

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Bummer! Have you tried a different Bluetooth by chance? My SO & I haven't experienced any BT problems on our S5s.

tap'n on my S5

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Yeah, it happens with multiple bluetooth devices, multiple apps, and other phones are fine over those same devices, it's definitely my S5. I've tried pretty much everything software-wise, turning off wi-fi, etc. nothing fixes it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry to hear that Matt! Hopefully they'll push out another update for those affected. Have you let Verizon know so they at least have a record of it? Your other option would be to get a replacement under Samsung Warranty. It wouldn't cost you anything as it would be considered a hardware defect and they would overnight your replacement to you. You have two weeks to return your device, so that would give you time to test the replacement to see if it works before returning your original device.
They're going to make you do a factory data reset first, so if you use your BT as often as I do, that may be something to consider.
Good luck!

tap'n on my S5

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Thanks for the info, no, I haven't pursued it with Verizon or Samsung yet. I was really hoping a software update might fix it and I really don't want to do an FDR, but it looks like it's coming to that. I don't root, so I can't make full use of Titanium Backup, and I hate the idea of rebuilding all of my apps and configuration from scratch, really don't have the time. The problem is just intermittent enough that sometimes I'm tempted to just live with it for another year then upgrade to whatever is newest, but I really love the S5 other than this issue. Quite the quandry.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
What about doing a backup using Kies? I have not personally used it much, but I think it can back up texts, etc

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
AFAIK, Kies only does "user data" (photos, contacts, etc.), only Titanium Backup under root access can backup everything, including all OS settings, apps and everything, so you can FDR your phone, then restore from the backup and everything is just like it was, no need to reload apps or redo any settings.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Another option would be My Backup or My Backup Pro. This one works with or without root and does pretty much everything Titanium Backup does.

tap'n

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Thanks, I'm investigating it, but it looks like there's some stuff My Backup can't do without root access:

"Users who have a rooted phone: You can backup apk+data as well as market links!
NOTE: Data/setting of applications can only be supported if you have a rooted phone, or if the application integrates with us."

Which makes sense, without root access, I don't think there's any way for one application to access the private data for another app. Still sounds pretty good though!

Last edited: