samsung galaxy s3 vs nexus

wvdroidman

Reaction score
What are the main differences between the nexus and s3? I was thinking s3 but how can i get verizon let me early upgrade to the s3? They offer it for the razr maxx , rezound and nexus but not the s3 yet.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm not sure what information you're hoping to get here that you haven't already received from the other allowed to upgrade earlier, which phone should I get? and best new phone threads you've been asking similar questions in for the past few weeks. Compared to the Nexus, the S3 has a faster, more efficient processor, better battery life, much better reception, a much better camera, larger screen, 2GB of RAM, a microSD card slot, and it's thinner. The biggest things the Nexus has in its favor is stock Android (although you won't get updates first because Verizon messes up that process in a major way) and developer support.

They're probably not offering the S3 because it's still the new kid on the block and the most cutting edge phone they have right now. All of the others are getting close to being a year old, and have new versions right around the corner, so they'll be more willing to let those go.

Last edited:

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what information you're hoping to get here that you haven't already received from the other allowed to upgrade earlier, which phone should I get? and best new phone threads you've been asking similar questions in for the past few weeks. Compared to the Nexus, the S3 has a faster, more efficient processor, better battery life, much better reception, a much better camera, larger screen, 2GB of RAM, a microSD card slot, and it's thinner. The biggest things the Nexus has in its favor is stock Android (although you won't get updates first because Verizon messes up that process in a major way) and developer support.

They're probably not offering the S3 because it's still the new kid on the block and the most cutting edge phone they have right now. All of the others are getting close to being a year old, and have new versions right around the corner, so they'll be more willing to let those go.
I was blessed enough to come from Nexus(bad signal)to a S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy S III vs Samsung Galaxy NexusThe link has a good breakdown on the comparisons.

Personal experience- I like the S3 much more than the Nexus (both of the phones are great, but the S3 has many more key bells and whistles that I enjoy- and a better battery life).
Loved my pure vanilla,but you can't beat the battery life on the S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
What can the s3 do that the nexus can't? It's between the nexus and the s3 although like I said they won't offer me the s3 for my early upgrade. That is why I was asking about the nexus or if I should try to get them to budge on the s3 and if they won't should I wait til october?

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
In my opinion I enjoy the Nexus better. I think the battery life is easily fixed i get good use on mine and i consider myself a heavy user. The phone signal is a mute point now that those new JellyBean radios are out. I have them flashed an holy cow they rock. Rock solid signal. So I prefer the Nexus for pure android and the Dev. community.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
What can the s3 do that the nexus can't? It's between the nexus and the s3 although like I said they won't offer me the s3 for my early upgrade. That is why I was asking about the nexus or if I should try to get them to budge on the s3 and if they won't should I wait til october?
Sir,Im not trying to be funny,but you've got to do some homework yourself.Why are you asking people on this site about the diff between the S3 and the Nexus.Ive seen people post links and everything else.Ive been in the S3 forums for only a wk now(coming from Nexus)and like someone else said,what more info do you want.Make your mind,get a S3 or the Nexus,and enjoy.

MrBunster

Reaction score
My mom and brother both have Nexuses (Nexi?). I have a gs3, and I much prefer it to their phones. They may be more dev friendly, but I think the software touches on TouchWiz are actually quite charming. This phone is stupid fast out of the box ( just as capable as my bro's phone running CM10 is) and I am practically stock. More future proof, prettier IMHO, and and everything seems slightly more refined (the camera especially!).

I asked the same question when I upgraded to my gs3. And that's the phone in my hands right now. Don't worry about bootloaders, aosp Android, or that special Nexusy feeling. Get the gs3. It's pretty freakin cool.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I already gave you list of some of the many advantages that the S3 has over the Nexus in my post above - better battery life, faster performance, better pictures, better reception, expandable memory, etc.

IrishSmash

Reaction score

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
About the only thing I preferred about the Nexus over the S3 is the form factor (slightly smaller) and Google Now. I'm assuming the S3 will get Google Now when it gets JB? And if so, I'm not sure what that means for the gimmicky S-Voice...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Based on the note 2 vids it looks like s voice is still there. But because of the patent suits I would not be surprised if the jb in the states is removed for Google now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Based on the note 2 vids it looks like s voice is still there. But because of the patent suits I would not be surprised if the jb in the states is removed for Google now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

too bad... Google Now is pretty slick

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
About the only thing I preferred about the Nexus over the S3 is the form factor (slightly smaller) and Google Now. I'm assuming the S3 will get Google Now when it gets JB? And if so, I'm not sure what that means for the gimmicky S-Voice...

Google Now is in all of the leaked Jelly Bean updates for the international S3, so it should definitely be in the updates for the U.S. versions. S Voice is present as well.