Samsung Galaxy S II to Get CPU Upgrade to 1.2GHz - May Also Delay Its Release

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s2-12.jpg

Here's some good and bad news that I know several of you guys would appreciate knowing, especially cereal killer. The good news is that the Samsung Galaxy S II superphone will actually get a pre-release upgrade to the clock speed on its dual-core cpu from 1GHz to 1.2GHz. This rumor comes from two sources: One is a Samsung Estonia Facebook Page, and the other is from GSM Arena. Unfortunately, the bad news is that this will delay the phone for a global release until about June. Strangely, this is referring to the version of the phone that sports Samsung's own CPU, but the Tegra 2 version of the phone is still on track.

I guess that makes our choices a bit tougher, since now we have to decide between the Galaxy S II and several other juicy looking phones that are coming soon, and we also have to decide if we want to wait for the "faster" version of the Galaxy S II. Decisions, decisions...

[Update]:The rumor above has been confirmed by the following tweet from Samsung India:
delay-sgs2-tweet.png

Source: Engadget

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
That phone looks exactly like an iPhone

Exactly how many different sleek styles can their be? I find these comments annoying, do you want a pentagon in your pocket or what? Either it's going to have sharp edges and not be sleek or it's going to be rounded and smooth making it sleek, or it's going to have a physical keyboard making it thick. That's about your options right there.

I'd get used to it if I were you. dancedroid

Haloman800

Reaction score

Exactly how many different sleek styles can their be? I find these comments annoying, do you want a pentagon in your pocket or what? Either it's going to have sharp edges and not be sleek or it's going to be rounded and smooth making it sleek, or it's going to have a physical keyboard making it thick. That's about your options right there.

He wasn't complaining, he was simply stating that it looks similar to an iPhone.

Phone's specs look nice, I'll check where the date stands when the Bionic is released.. Or whatever phone's next for Verizon.

corymcnutt

Reaction score
Do we know for sure if this is also coming to Verizon? I read rumors of that and wondered if there was real evidence? If the call quality is good, this may make my Bionic decision harder!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

He wasn't complaining, he was simply stating that it looks similar to an iPhone.

All I'm saying is so will 90% of the smartphones going into the market, it's a visually nice design...and people seem to make lots of comments in general regarding one phones similarities to another, especially with animosity toward the iPhone. Kinda like saying HEY, my HP laptop loots a lot like a Toshiba Satellite...

Well, yea...because it's the form factor that works, sexy sells. :)

Loooney2ns

Reaction score
I wonder how the increase in speed will affect battery life. My laptop has a 1.2 ghz dual core processor and it lasts about 5 hours on a 6 cell battery. The screen is much larger at 11.1 inches, but I still think the battery life will suffer.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm not going to complain about a bump in speed......

I'm in : )

Heck of a handset here.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm not going to complain about a bump in speed......

I'm in : )

Heck of a handset here.

Totally agree, I'll be watching this one very closely, the delay in release might just push it to release about when my 2yr contract is up which would be sweet, but then Q4 phones will be about cooked up too so I don't know yet, might just wait for quad core and be done with it for a while. Either way I learned my lesson this time around, I'll never do a 2yr again!

Reaction score
Obviously it is trying to mimic the iphone. Have you guys seen touchwiz?! Blatant rip off of iphone look as far as homogenizing how apps look and the app drawer and even the 4 main shortcuts at the bottom.

This phone still seems pretty cool, despite the rip off issue. Root + LP

creaky

Reaction score
Man, this phone keeps getting better and better. Let's go, Sam & VZW, and get this thing released!

npro1464

Reaction score
It may be a beast, but this phone is hideous. That dock... yuck!! Launcher Pro or ADW is a must.

After the mess with Bing search and not updating their phones, I don't know why anyone would buy a Samsung phone.

Parter28

Reaction score
It may be a beast, but this phone is hideous. That dock... yuck!! Launcher Pro or ADW is a must.

After the mess with Bing search and not updating their phones, I don't know why anyone would buy a Samsung phone.

I use ADW EX on my Fascinate, and I love it. The screen is beautiful, and I can't wait to get my hands on the Galaxy S 2. As for the updates, I think it's just the carriers that ruin everything with their bloatware, but that's why we have root :D. Hopefully Samsung and HTC won't start locking down their phones. Samsung makes sexy phones, with awesome hardware. I won't mind the updates so much, as long as we have an unlocked bootloader and good developer support.